Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mindless and Emotional Overeating

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 6 Replies

What are your tips for stopping mindless and emotional eating? Once I get started, I cannot stop!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Portion out your food.  If, for example,  you're eating chips, just give yourself one serving.  Having to get up and go get more can help give you that chance to stop yourself.  Personally, I have to keep the foods I'm most likely to turn to out of the house altogether.

simplyus642
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I feel worse afterwards and I keep that thought strong in my head while in the kitchen. I am fine until I walk in the kitchen. Or even look at it!! At the end of the day I think about everything I didn't eat but wanted to sooo badly and that has helped me since dec. 2012. Over 20 lbs lost and about 10-15 more to go.

simplyus642
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Portion out your food.  If, for example,  you're eating chips, just give yourself one serving.  Having to get up and go get more can help give you that chance to stop yourself.  Personally, I have to keep the foods I'm most likely to turn to out of the house altogether.

I will do this but only with 2 cookies and I will eat slowly. I can't stop myself with chips, cereal, cinnamon buns etc. lol. I will not buy Captain Crunch cereal because I turn into a "bug going towards the light"! It's crazy how I can be sometimes. lol

Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Quoting simplyus642:

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I will do this but only with 2 cookies and I will eat slowly. I can't stop myself with chips, cereal, cinnamon buns etc. lol. I will not buy Captain Crunch cereal because I turn into a "bug going towards the light"! It's crazy how I can be sometimes. lol

I totally relate.  I can't have mac & cheese in the house because no one else will eat it and I will eat the entire box if it's there.

melner18
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I have issues with binge eating and overeating. Some things that work for me are to not let myself get too hungry. Also, if I am feelign vulnerable and like I might eat mindlessly, I might drink some tea or have something else to drink. Chewing gum also helps sometimes.

Also, removing myself from the food/kitchen. Maybe take a bath or go outside or just get away. It's not always easy, but if I can slow myself down and breathe and think about things rationally I can sometimes stop myself from the emotional eating.

Good luck!

Pna1Dra6on
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Setup bags of snacks for the whole day.  mixed nuts, fruit, vegies (carrots/celery/sugar snap peas), cheese/yogurt, crackers.  Set a timer to when to snack & before you have your snack drink a full glass of water before and after.  Hopefully it will set you up to feel less hungrier often.  Also, don't eat while doing something else.  A lot of mindless eating happens when one stuffs their face and not think about it like snacking on junkfood for the whole length of a show/movie.  GL & hope you find what works for you!

"It's not about counting the days, rather making the days count

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)