Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

running

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 4 Replies
Ok so I've been walking a mile to half a mile and I been thinking about trying to run but how should I start
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
M4LG5
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Look up couch to 5k. It's a great running plan.designed for those that don't and probably never really ran more than 100 feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pna1Dra6on
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Start out jogging and increase your speed and distance over time.  See how far you can get your first round and note the distance then try to challenge yourself to beat it the next time.  When I first started running I could hardly make it a mile without being winded and my whole body aching.  I started out jogging half and walked half, then slowly increased how far I could jog/run without stopping.  I'm not a great runner, but eventually the fastest I've done before is around 13mins for 1.5 mi when I started off at 17mins  I've fallen off the wagon, since then, but I'm working my way back up.  Don't overdo yourself though, that's when injury occurs. Just do the best you can and let your body tell you what feels right.   Overtime it'll get easier, if you stay consistent.  GL on your journey :)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Usually, some sort of walk/run method is recommended.  C25K, as M4LG5 suggested, is a great program.  For me, it was still too much running, so I did my own version. I would run a block, walk a block for my route.  Then once I could do that (and remember, your first running segments may not feel like much, but you need to pace yourself), I'd run two blocks, walk one.  Then run 3, walk one.  Then I ran the whole thing, then started adding distance, following the 10% rule, and still including short walking intervals.  Now I'm a distance runner!  =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I do couch to 5k.  Good luck =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)