Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

A little off-topic... about kids

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have three girls - 8, almost 7, and 5.  We, as a family, have had horrible eating habits.  I've been working on myself for almost a year now.  Earlier in the year, I finally got my husband on board with me to clean up our eating, but it lasted about a month before he was back to taking the kids to get donuts before school and things like that.  (I leave for work before they get up - so I really don't have a lot of control there)  I've felt like I'm just hitting a wall. 

Give me some tips, advice, tricks, anything to help me get my kids to eat stuff that doesn't come in a box, bag, or can.  They will honestly just not eat rather than eat what I cook.  We've had a couple of incidents (behavior and health issues) this week that have me feeling really defeated and discouraged, so I HAVE to figure this out.

Thanks....

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
randomosityblog
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

I just wanted to say good luck, because I couldn't imagine how hard it would be to not be on the same page as my SO. We decided as a couple that our family would be vegetarians, about 2 years ago and we haven't looked back. She's a BIT easier going when it comes to foods... like she will let them have candy sometimes when I'm a total nazi about it... but in general we have the same ideasl about it all. Maybe you can just have a frank talk to him about it and let him know you want better for your kids, and for him?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

First of all....what are you making that they won't eat?  Kids that have been "conditioned" to eat convenience foods will look at a healthy diet meal and go "yuck."  I ran into the same thing when I changed to Paleo eating principles...so I found Paleo acceptable recipes for the foods they DO like.  I made primal chicken strips, paleo-approved pancakes and waffles, paleo approved chocolate granola, etc.  They started eating those foods, their taste buds began to change, and now they don't like to eat overly sweetened or overly "flavored" food products.  They appreciate real food.

Second...maybe hubs is just looking for something convenient to feed the girls in the morning.  Do you have things that you can make ahead of time for him to feed them in the mornings?

Third....maybe hubs feels guilty about depriving the girls of food, if they don't want to eat what you're making -- so he buys them a treat.  I have no problem with my kids having a treat once a week because it makes them feel less deprived of treats that "all the other kids are getting."

Fourth....the kids will not starve themselves.  Their refusal to eat what you're making is rebellion, plain and simple.  Just keep offering them tasty homemade meals and they'll get hungry enough to eat. 

Finally....sit down with hubs and TELL him that there will be no more cheating (except maybe once a week treats.)  Confront him with how HIS behavior is detrimental to the girls' health (would you like some links to recent studies?)...and does he really want that on his conscience?  Ask him what he would like to see changed (a little) about your healthy diet, and if it's not too crazy, then maybe you could give in a little.  It's about finding a happy medium and what works for everyone.

I got this as a free download a couple of years ago (costs $19.95 now), but it's GREAT for teaching kids about real food, nutrition, and their health.  Buy it if you want, then make 3 copies for your girls.   http://www.foodrenegade.com/realfoodnutritiontext/3-8.html

Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting michiganmom116:

First of all....what are you making that they won't eat?  Kids that have been "conditioned" to eat convenience foods will look at a healthy diet meal and go "yuck."  I ran into the same thing when I changed to Paleo eating principles...so I found Paleo acceptable recipes for the foods they DO like.  I made primal chicken strips, paleo-approved pancakes and waffles, paleo approved chocolate granola, etc.  They started eating those foods, their taste buds began to change, and now they don't like to eat overly sweetened or overly "flavored" food products.  They appreciate real food.

Practically everything I make... there are one or two dishes they will eat individually, but I've yet to please all three.  I've decided to let them help me plan meals, hopefully having more input will make them feel less "forced"

Second...maybe hubs is just looking for something convenient to feed the girls in the morning.  Do you have things that you can make ahead of time for him to feed them in the mornings?

Third....maybe hubs feels guilty about depriving the girls of food, if they don't want to eat what you're making -- so he buys them a treat.  I have no problem with my kids having a treat once a week because it makes them feel less deprived of treats that "all the other kids are getting."

Fourth....the kids will not starve themselves.  Their refusal to eat what you're making is rebellion, plain and simple.  Just keep offering them tasty homemade meals and they'll get hungry enough to eat. 

Finally....sit down with hubs and TELL him that there will be no more cheating (except maybe once a week treats.)  Confront him with how HIS behavior is detrimental to the girls' health (would you like some links to recent studies?)...and does he really want that on his conscience?  Ask him what he would like to see changed (a little) about your healthy diet, and if it's not too crazy, then maybe you could give in a little.  It's about finding a happy medium and what works for everyone.

We are going to talk about it... unfortunately, our schedules are opposite, so it's only a few times a week we're actually together long enough to have a real conversation about anything.  Most days we just see each other in passing when I get home and he leaves.  I'm really hoping what my middle child has gone through this week (massive meltdowns, a very painful case of constipation) that he'll realize we need to get serious.

I got this as a free download a couple of years ago (costs $19.95 now), but it's GREAT for teaching kids about real food, nutrition, and their health.  Buy it if you want, then make 3 copies for your girls.   http://www.foodrenegade.com/realfoodnutritiontext/3-8.html

Thanks =)  I had a sample chapter sent to me so I can check it out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)