Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Workout Pains?

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 2 Replies

Alright... I been doing some light weight workouts for four days now. all of them between 45 to an hour long. i would of thought by now i would have some muscle  pain. I do weight lifting 15 reps with 2 sets. I also do core, back, and arm workouts. Like I said im not as sore as i am when i go to the gym with my personal trainer, why is that. am i not pushing myself hard enough. Not doing them right. Or should i just extend my workouts?

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:22 AM
What do you do with the trainer that's different from what you do with out him?
For me when my soreness stops means I have to up my work out some how.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

The amount of time is not what matters--it's how you use that time.  I can get an workout that leaves me sore for days in 45 minutes (my leg workout typically leaves me hobbling for 2 days afterwards...)  Other days, I can do strength training for a solid hour but not be sore at all.

You gave your reason right there in your post:

light weight workouts

In order to be sore, you need to challange your muscles.  Light weights, especially low reps and sets, is not enough to really challange them.  You need to do heavier weighs or higher reps/sets.

My trainer typically works my muscles harder and also in ways that I don't work them myself (different types of workouts.)  So I am often sore after working out with him. 

When I workout on my own, I work with a weight that really challanges me to finish.  If I breeze through a set, I know the weight is too low and the workout is not as effective as it could be.  I can often make it through a full set (struggling by end) then really struggle through a 2nd set.  If I want to do a 3rd set, I have to reduce the weight in order to get to the end.  It's workouts like this that mean I will be sore.

If you are working with a lower weight, you need to do more reps in order to burn the muscles out (= failure.)  So 15 may not be the number...but 30 might be.  You can try going until you get a really, really good burn...or go all the way to failure.  However, if the weight is too low, this will take forever.

That being said: It's not a requirement to be sore all the time.  You are still doing good things for your body by working your muscles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN