Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

need some advice

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

I love to workout & keep finding i keep hurting my knees, are there any stretches that could help to make it better for knees?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Beauty91805
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM
Oh I don't know. Here's a bump!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Is it the patella that is painful, or is it the side or behind the patella? You're doing Insanity, right? Are you landing softly? Are you working out on concrete or hardwoods or carpet? This can make a difference in the impact of Plyo. Also, are you working out barefoot or shod? Sometimes when people have impact issues, they go from being shod to being barefoot and it helps. 

Stretches-

Ilitotibial Band Stretch

1) Stand upright.

2) Cross the injured leg behind the opposite leg.

3) Lean to the non injured side until a stretch is felt across the outside of your thigh region.

4) Hold for 30 seconds.

5) Repeat five times.

Quadricep Stretch

1) While standing, hold onto a counter top or chair back to assist in balance.

2) Bend your knee back by grasping your ankle with one hand.

3) Assist in bending your knee back as far as possible.

4) Maintain this position for 30 seconds.

5) Return to standing position.

6) Repeat the exercise 5 times with each leg.

Hamstring Stretch

1) Sit on the floor with both legs out straight.

2) Extend your arms and reach forward, bending at the waist as far as possible while keeping your knees straight.

3) Hold this position for 10 seconds. Relax.

4) Repeat this exercise 5 more times.

Calf Stretch

1) Sit with your feet our in front of you.

2) Hold one end of a sheet or towel in each hand, forming a loop.

3) Place the loop around your foot.

4) Pull your toes toward you.

5) Stop when you feel a comfortable stretch in your calf muscle.

6) Hold for 20 seconds, and repeat 5 more times.

7) Switch legs and repeat.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Claire hit the nail on the head...this is why she's our resident expert!  Hugs mama!

mariemciver2000
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I am in the last week of Insanity & working out on hardwood floors with no shoes i found that all the jumping hurts with having shoes on. Even when i did other workout programs i have found that my knees take the biggest beatings, & this time i ended up having a blood vain pop. The bruise is on the side of my leg & it sure hurts, My other knee is now getting stiff due to all my weight being put on it. So i just need to stop it before i happens with the other one aswell. I do land lightly & do all my stretches to the way Shaun T says it in the video. So i have no idea why i ended up getting so hurt again! Thank you & i will for sure try these out :)

itsm3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM

make sure your form is right.  you can wear shoes but i'f youre landing incorrectly, you're putting major pressure on your joints.  are you landing with your butt back and your knees behind your ankles?  are you landing softly instead of pounding your feet on the ground? 

are your shoes the correct ones?  i found out i was wearing the wrong shoes which was why i was getting major foot pain.  it appeared that i was wearing shoes that had too much stabilization (for over-pronators) and it was pushing my feet inwards, putting too much pressure on my arches.

mariemciver2000
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:24 PM

So since i did post for some adive, i have done these every day. Thank you so very much, my knee and ankle are both feeling great! Though after the latest injury i have to let my knee heal the bruise on it. lol I some how poped the vain around me knee & i think it was due to not taking care of it! So now i am making sure to help my body out like crazy before & even after any workout. Including when i run around after my babies! :)

mariemciver2000
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I acually never use shoes for working out, unless i go outside to do anything. :) I found that i can do my workouts better this way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN