Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Running

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM
  • 8 Replies

i am training for 13.1 in a month i am supposed to run 10 miles Saturday .. am i supposed to eat anything before hand? 

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM
My mom is a marathon runner she only eats special meals the night before a race not during training.

But the women here will be able to tell you what's best :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Eating beforehand is a matter of personal preference. However you will need to fuel yourself during your run. At least once halfway through. Some popular things runners use are Gu's, shot blocks, or I like to use the jelly belly sport beans. I usually don't eat much if anything before a long run, but I fuel during the run.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM

This.  We're all different.  I assume since you've made it this far into training you've figured out if you need to eat before a long run or not.  Just do what feels right for you mama!  Hugs and good luck!

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Eating beforehand is a matter of personal preference. However you will need to fuel yourself during your run. At least once halfway through. Some popular things runners use are Gu's, shot blocks, or I like to use the jelly belly sport beans. I usually don't eat much if anything before a long run, but I fuel during the run.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I agree, we're all different.  I have to eat before ANY run, some people are different.  But it might be worth trying, because you NEVER want to do something new on race day, and if you plan to eat before your race, you would benefit from eating whatever that meal will be before a long run while you're training.  Are you fueling on the runs as well?

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

jessiejean
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I agree with the others...we're all different....for me I can't eat anything BIG for a race usually just a banana.  Anything else and I get cramps and feel sick. 

Lesgerm
by Leslie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM
I eat about 2 hours before a long run. Usually wheat toast w pb. And I love honey stingers for a mid-run bite :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM
This. Do what works for you.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

This.  We're all different.  I assume since you've made it this far into training you've figured out if you need to eat before a long run or not.  Just do what feels right for you mama!  Hugs and good luck!

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I wouldn't eat right beforehand... I would look into race nutrition though. For me, I like the jelly belly sports beans. But everybody likes different stuff and the day of the race isn't the best day to find out that the one you chose makes you sick

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)