Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eating back calories?!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 19 Replies

I'm curious to know what the importance to doing so is? Is this something I MUST do?! My daily cal goal is 2410 as is. Today, I burned 600 at the gym and I don't think I'm Okay with having to eat 3100 calories!! Seems like a lot....

Thoughts on this?! I thought I knew from using MFP last year and forgot...thanks for the help!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

i don't bother.  i just eat what i'm supposed to eat and it's usually good.  i workout hard every day and what i eat is enough.  although, i do find that when i workout extra hard (usually when i do back to back workouts on the same day), i'm hungrier so i do eat back some of my cals.

MiMi.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
That just doesn't make sense.....you burn calories to lose weight.....why would you eat it back??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ttc1rainbow
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I know, that's my thoughts. So that's why I was asking, so I guess I am doing fine by not eating them back lol  

Quoting MiMi.:

That just doesn't make sense.....you burn calories to lose weight.....why would you eat it back??

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you using numbers that MFP gave you? If so, then yes..you should be eating a portion of those calories back. It's not that you are eating 3100 calories. If your goal is 2410 and you burn 600, then you have actually consumed: 2410-600=1810, which is short of your goal. MFP does NOT add exercise, so the formula they use is for you to eat until you are at 0 in your budget. This will keep you above starvation mode as well as give you at least a 500 calorie daily deficit. 

Now, if you don't want to worry about eating back calories, I can do your BMR for you and you an customize your MFP. This way, it will reflect exercise and you don't need to add it into MFP. You just pick a number in the middle of the range I give you and then stay within that range daily. 

I would need your age, height, weight, if you are BFing and the # of days per week you workout. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

LadyNCVE
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Are you trying to lose weight or maintain? If your net calorie goal is about 1800, plan your meals and exercise to meet that goal. If that make sense. You might be able to find a couple articles that could explain both ways of doing it and the benefits better. Sounds like you've got a healthy goal anyway. So really no need to change the way your tracking.
childofGod995
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

how strenuous is your workout. i just recently started and my calorie intake is suppose to be only 1200 calories.blank stare

wahmx3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

for you, you definitely eat back all your exercise calories, 1200 is very minimum.

Quoting childofGod995:

how strenuous is your workout. i just recently started and my calorie intake is suppose to be only 1200 calories.blank stare

wahmx3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yes, it is true we exercise to burn calories but our bodies need fuel to function and burn fat instead of muscle. You should never eat below your BMR (or at least for more than a day or two at a time), so if your BMR is 1500 and you eat 1500, you should eat back your exercise calories. This helps your metabolism and your body function fully.

Quoting MiMi.:

imacafemomer
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM

1200 is minimum? okay good to know because MFP told me thats my limit

Quoting wahmx3:

for you, you definitely eat back all your exercise calories, 1200 is very minimum.

Quoting childofGod995:

rileysmommy229
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

1200 is way to low for most women. Have someone in the group calculate your BMR and go from there.

Quoting imacafemomer:

1200 is minimum? okay good to know because MFP told me thats my limit

Quoting wahmx3:

Quoting childofGod995:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)