Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can someone help me map a mountain?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

on a map in a straight line it is a shorter distance than the actual climb when you are climbing a mountain. How do I determine how far I climbed? The map says it was something like .4 miles from where I began and where I ended, but it was a lot further than that. I am not making any sense. please tell me if you understand my question if you can tell me how to know how far I actually went?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mich.el.le
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I get it, but I can't help you. It depends on the grade of the mountain. I think you need a topographical map?? 

imacafemomer
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I actually climb a mountain range (through out the season I mean) so there is a variety of grades. I was wondering if there was some sort of app that just knows... but I guess GPS is the only way for your phone to know where you are, and that doesn't count the grade.

Quoting mich.el.le:

I get it, but I can't help you. It depends on the grade of the mountain. I think you need a topographical map?? 

mich.el.le
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Quoting imacafemomer:

I actually climb a mountain range (through out the season I mean) so there is a variety of grades. I was wondering if there was some sort of app that just knows... but I guess GPS is the only way for your phone to know where you are, and that doesn't count the grade.

Quoting mich.el.le:

If you had a physical map, you could do this??

Take the edge of a blank piece of paper.

Choose two points (the ones you want to measure between) and line the piece of paper up so it touches both those points.

Mark your piece of paper at where those points are touching the paper.

Take your piece of paper and line it up with the scale. 

Read the lenght off the scale.

I hope that helped, I don't think I can simplify it anymore! 

imacafemomer
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM

great idea!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)