Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fitbit or body bugg?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 4 Replies

I really want to get something that is accurate in tracking my daily calories burned. These are the two things I am trying to decide on, the body bugg or fitbit. Does anyone have any experience with them and what would you recommend? Thanks

Angela mama to..

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lovebugs_mom906
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I have the bodymedia band (same thing as body bugg) and my mom has the fitbit. She likes the fitbit, but it only calculates calories burned by walking (from what she says). She goes to curves, and she says it doesn't calculate her exercise there. Mine on the other hand, tells me how many calories I've burned everyday - even if all I do is sit all day. It tells me my sleep cycle, # of steps and activity level. The only downside to it is that you do have to pay a monthly fee. I paid a year up front and was about $5/month, so not too bad.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Does yours have a heart rate monitor attached? I have a fitbit and it'll calculate my calories burned even when I'm sitting still. It just thinks I'm not doing anything if I'm sitting still so if you're lifting weights or something it's obviously not going to give you extra calories burned. The only way to figure that is to have a hrm.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

I have the bodymedia band (same thing as body bugg) and my mom has the fitbit. She likes the fitbit, but it only calculates calories burned by walking (from what she says). She goes to curves, and she says it doesn't calculate her exercise there. Mine on the other hand, tells me how many calories I've burned everyday - even if all I do is sit all day. It tells me my sleep cycle, # of steps and activity level. The only downside to it is that you do have to pay a monthly fee. I paid a year up front and was about $5/month, so not too bad.
lovebugs_mom906
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM
It doesn't have an HRM, but you wear it on the arm, and it has different sensors that keep track of muscle contraction, body temps and others. It has been proven to be >90% accurate on its tracking.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Does yours have a heart rate monitor attached? I have a fitbit and it'll calculate my calories burned even when I'm sitting still. It just thinks I'm not doing anything if I'm sitting still so if you're lifting weights or something it's obviously not going to give you extra calories burned. The only way to figure that is to have a hrm.

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM

The Fitbit and the BodyBugg have been proven to be within about 1-2% of each other.  I've seen a few people's reviews comparing the two, and they get consistent results.  I mulled over the two for awhile before settling on a Fitbit, and I really liked it.  It's not JUST from walking.  You have to log in on the website what you were doing, and it'll calculate that in.  No biggie.  You have to do that for food anyway.  I really liked that it connected with MFP.  I also liked the price better, and not having to pay monthly/annually for the website.  Customer service is pretty good with Fitbit, too.  I had lengthy issues with them (the Ultra is NOT compatible with Macbooks, FYI).

Also, if you opt to go with the Fitbit, get a leash for it.  It can sometimes fall off, and that really sucks if you don't have a leash.  You can get a pedometer leash for super cheap on Amazon.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)