Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

trying to tone and get fit - worried about how much I "should" eat.

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 12 Replies
I feel guilty even writing this post as I'm not necessarily trying to "lose weight" - but get more fit and tone. I have body image and food issues that I am working on with a counselor, but overall I am doing well. I am currently struggling with how much I "should" be eating. I think I'm not eating enough, but at the same time I am anxious about eating more and that eating more will make me gain weight which I don't want to do. I want to stay at the weight I am now (or a little lower) and tone up. I'm barely 5'1" and currently weight about 107 pounds. I don't want to gain weight or "get bigger" - I want to get trimmer and stronger. I am eating around 1200-1500 calories a day (usually closer to 1200). I'm pretty active - walking on the treadmill everyday for about 45 minutes and doing a Barre or Bodyflow class about 3-4 times a week. I'm hoping I can receive some constructive/non-judgmental advice and support from you ladies about this struggle I am experiencing. I imagine a lot of you think this "issue" is ridiculous and that I am being silly and should be super happy with where I'm at and that I shouldn't be concerned with how much I am eating because my weight is great, but this is something I legitimately would like advice on. Thanks in advance.
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anoronlight
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I have a friend of mine who has been on the AdvoCare stuff. She's lost weight, but recently she told me that she has been "gaining" a bit, however she's noticed its not been weight. She found out that she has been trading fat for muscle, pound per pound. So with that being said, if you want to tone up, you could try changing your work out routine to fit just toning up, like weights and what not. But either way, its best to eat several small meals a day, just make sure that they are healthy foods, like LOTS and lots of greens (fruits and veggies) and proteins, healthy proteins.

If you do start to gain, keep in mind that you might be adding muscle instead of fat and muscle is good and it will make you gain, but I would think that between working out keeping up a good cardio routine, a healhty diet, lifting weights and eating right you should be ok. Plus I doubt that the muscle gain would make you gain like massive amounts, instead just enough that your body might need.

I'm not a fitness expert by any means, but from what little I've known, that would be it. When I was goin to the gym, my favorite was the ab crunchs and leg and arm presses. :D I also enjoyed doing the bike and the treadmill.

melner18
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Thank you. I really appreciate the advice.

Quoting Anoronlight:

I have a friend of mine who has been on the AdvoCare stuff. She's lost weight, but recently she told me that she has been "gaining" a bit, however she's noticed its not been weight. She found out that she has been trading fat for muscle, pound per pound. So with that being said, if you want to tone up, you could try changing your work out routine to fit just toning up, like weights and what not. But either way, its best to eat several small meals a day, just make sure that they are healthy foods, like LOTS and lots of greens (fruits and veggies) and proteins, healthy proteins.

If you do start to gain, keep in mind that you might be adding muscle instead of fat and muscle is good and it will make you gain, but I would think that between working out keeping up a good cardio routine, a healhty diet, lifting weights and eating right you should be ok. Plus I doubt that the muscle gain would make you gain like massive amounts, instead just enough that your body might need.

I'm not a fitness expert by any means, but from what little I've known, that would be it. When I was goin to the gym, my favorite was the ab crunchs and leg and arm presses. :D I also enjoyed doing the bike and the treadmill.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Frogy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I know what you mean.  you are doing this in a healthy way. Nobody is to judge you.  God knows I've gotten enough of it myself.  I'm 5 ft. and right now I'm about 115, I've been slacking on my cardio and it shoes.  I was 108 about a month ago.  So fear not!  As long as you are doing something to help burn the calories your doing it the healthy way.  One thing I did was increase my protein. I found that the more protein the more fat I burn.  And yes.  You will gain a bit in the beginning.  that is until the muscles start to burn fat while working out and after working out. The more fit you are the more productive you are.  I was running about 35 miles a week and I was always eating.   The trick is to make the food you eat count for your body using the fuel you put in.   I love chocolate, but I don't eat much of it these days.  you sound like you eat well, you just might have to tweak it a little to account for the extra training your doing. I just started strength training last week and there is a difference already in what I'm doing and how I'm burning calories.  I have to remember this and know that I need as much cardio as I was doing before..... Seriously it take a lot for me to maintain a weight of 108 so I feel ya sister!!

If there is anything I can do let me know....you can pm me too!

melner18
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Thank you! I definitely don't eat "clean", but I eat pretty good. I am picky and don't eat enough or really any vegetables. I do eat fruit though - strawberries, bananas, and pineapples.

I also love muffins and do eat them regularly. I know they aren't the healthiest things in the world, but I work that in in terms of how many calories I eat in a day figuring each muffin to be about 400-500 calories.

For me, if I was to deny myself the consumption of the things I really like then I would crave it and end up overeating (I have issues with binge eating). It's important that I listen to what I want sometimes and allow myself to have it.

I don't eat candy though or desserts generally - aside from the muffins which I realize are pretty much a breakfast dessert.

Quoting Frogy:

I know what you mean.  you are doing this in a healthy way. Nobody is to judge you.  God knows I've gotten enough of it myself.  I'm 5 ft. and right now I'm about 115, I've been slacking on my cardio and it shoes.  I was 108 about a month ago.  So fear not!  As long as you are doing something to help burn the calories your doing it the healthy way.  One thing I did was increase my protein. I found that the more protein the more fat I burn.  And yes.  You will gain a bit in the beginning.  that is until the muscles start to burn fat while working out and after working out. The more fit you are the more productive you are.  I was running about 35 miles a week and I was always eating.   The trick is to make the food you eat count for your body using the fuel you put in.   I love chocolate, but I don't eat much of it these days.  you sound like you eat well, you just might have to tweak it a little to account for the extra training your doing. I just started strength training last week and there is a difference already in what I'm doing and how I'm burning calories.  I have to remember this and know that I need as much cardio as I was doing before..... Seriously it take a lot for me to maintain a weight of 108 so I feel ya sister!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Frogy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I understand where you're coming from.  However, you need some extra help if figureing out what is good for you and what is not... and that is ok.  Believe me...I've stuggled with food a little too.  I would deny myself stuff then gorge on it later...NOW I just eat real food.  LOTS of chicken and fish.  it plane and boring but I figue if I want to be fit and healthy you have to learn to compromise for the sake of your body.  I do not want to starve my body of any nutrients I get from food.  So i've cut out bread, rice, most posta, I eat it about 2 times a month where as before it was 2-3 times a week! I do not skimp on my wine...if i eat well i reward myself with wine!  I know it sounds crazy but that is what I like.

Quoting melner18:

Thank you! I definitely don't eat "clean", but I eat pretty good. I am picky and don't eat enough or really any vegetables. I do eat fruit though - strawberries, bananas, and pineapples.

I also love muffins and do eat them regularly. I know they aren't the healthiest things in the world, but I work that in in terms of how many calories I eat in a day figuring each muffin to be about 400-500 calories.

For me, if I was to deny myself the consumption of the things I really like then I would crave it and end up overeating (I have issues with binge eating). It's important that I listen to what I want sometimes and allow myself to have it.

I don't eat candy though or desserts generally - aside from the muffins which I realize are pretty much a breakfast dessert.

Quoting Frogy:

melner18
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:23 PM
I don't drink alcohol so that helps with not "drinking" my calories. I do think eating more protein would help.

I do have a "thing" for carbs. I honestly have a difficult time fathoming the notion of not eating "bread".

I do plan on substituting a healthy shake for one of my "meals" - that should help in regards to my eating.

Quoting Frogy:

I understand where you're coming from.  However, you need some extra help if figureing out what is good for you and what is not... and that is ok.  Believe me...I've stuggled with food a little too.  I would deny myself stuff then gorge on it later...NOW I just eat real food.  LOTS of chicken and fish.  it plane and boring but I figue if I want to be fit and healthy you have to learn to compromise for the sake of your body.  I do not want to starve my body of any nutrients I get from food.  So i've cut out bread, rice, most posta, I eat it about 2 times a month where as before it was 2-3 times a week! I do not skimp on my wine...if i eat well i reward myself with wine!  I know it sounds crazy but that is what I like.

Quoting melner18:

Quoting Frogy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anoronlight
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I eat clean  and love it!! I've cut out bread, well white stuff. lol I eat whole wheat if I need bread or pasta or rice. Sometimes I've been known to "oops!" but I don't see a huge change in my weight because of it. Eating clean has been amazing for me and if you don't, you should try it! :D

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I'm also a clean eater, and it will really help you "lean out", which sounds like is part of your goal.  Carbs are not the enemy- I still eat them!  You just have to choose healthy carbs, like whole grains, fruits and veggies.  You might consider cutting back on how often you eat the muffins (I know how it is to have that *one thing* you can't let go of!), which can help you reach your goal.  I have a journal with the basics of eating clean here.

Make sure you're eating enough to meet your body's needs, especially while you're working out.  If you'd like, I can calculate your BMR and use the Harris Benedict equation to help you figure out how many calories you need.  I'll just need your age on top of what else you've already posted.

One thing that's important to know is that women are not genetically designed to bulk up.  The women who do work VERY hard at it (I have a friend who is one of those bulked up body builders, and I know what she goes through).  Don't be afraid to pull weights!  They'll really help you get to your goal!  Lean muscle actually burns a lot of calories (so you actually burn more calories throughout the day on top of what you burn during your workouts.  BUT- you MUST eat enough to fuel those workouts, or you won't see positive changes.  When you eat too little, your body compensates by burning lean tissue (muscle and organs, like your heart, liver, and kidneys) and holds onto fat, which obviously works against leaning out.  Also, refined carbs retain water much like sodium does, which is part of the reason you need to cut out the refined carbs.  Plenty of water will help you as well.

This isn't the kind of group where we mock people who are trying to be healthy!  =)  We have different goals and different reasons behind them, and the main focus of this group is a healthy lifestyle, and eating right and exercising are the foundations of that.  You are definitely NOT ridiculous or silly for trying to get stronger and healthier!!

Quoting melner18:

I don't drink alcohol so that helps with not "drinking" my calories. I do think eating more protein would help.

I do have a "thing" for carbs. I honestly have a difficult time fathoming the notion of not eating "bread".

I do plan on substituting a healthy shake for one of my "meals" - that should help in regards to my eating.

Quoting Frogy:

Quoting melner18:

Quoting Frogy:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

melner18
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your "clean eating" journal. I probably could cut back on the muffins, but they make me happy. They are my little treats each day, but maybe I can find a different treat so I'm not eating a muffin every day.

With little kids - a 2-year-old and 6-year-old - I also sometimes eat "nutrition bars". I imagine they aren't necessarily clean.

As for calculating my BMR, that would be great. I'm 31 (but will be 32 in August).

I imagine the number calculated will be higher than what I am eating and that I'll be "scared" to eat that much in fear that I'll gain weight. But I think I need to eat more in order to be healthier.

Thank you so much for the helpful advice and positive support. I really appreciate it!

Quoting musicpisces:

I'm also a clean eater, and it will really help you "lean out", which sounds like is part of your goal.  Carbs are not the enemy- I still eat them!  You just have to choose healthy carbs, like whole grains, fruits and veggies.  You might consider cutting back on how often you eat the muffins (I know how it is to have that *one thing* you can't let go of!), which can help you reach your goal.  I have a journal with the basics of eating clean here.

Make sure you're eating enough to meet your body's needs, especially while you're working out.  If you'd like, I can calculate your BMR and use the Harris Benedict equation to help you figure out how many calories you need.  I'll just need your age on top of what else you've already posted.

One thing that's important to know is that women are not genetically designed to bulk up.  The women who do work VERY hard at it (I have a friend who is one of those bulked up body builders, and I know what she goes through).  Don't be afraid to pull weights!  They'll really help you get to your goal!  Lean muscle actually burns a lot of calories (so you actually burn more calories throughout the day on top of what you burn during your workouts.  BUT- you MUST eat enough to fuel those workouts, or you won't see positive changes.  When you eat too little, your body compensates by burning lean tissue (muscle and organs, like your heart, liver, and kidneys) and holds onto fat, which obviously works against leaning out.  Also, refined carbs retain water much like sodium does, which is part of the reason you need to cut out the refined carbs.  Plenty of water will help you as well.

This isn't the kind of group where we mock people who are trying to be healthy!  =)  We have different goals and different reasons behind them, and the main focus of this group is a healthy lifestyle, and eating right and exercising are the foundations of that.  You are definitely NOT ridiculous or silly for trying to get stronger and healthier!!

Quoting melner18:

Quoting Frogy:

Quoting melner18:

Quoting Frogy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Here are the numbers:

BMR: 1261 (the is the minumum number of calories you should eat per day, but eating this low will make you lose more weight)

1261 x 1.55 = 1955 (maintenance calories per day with exercise factored in)

To maintain your current weight, consume 1955 calories per day.  Coming up a little short is fine, just be sure to stay above your BMR (1261). You can try slowly adding in more calories, and see how it feels.  You might find yourself with more energy, and seeing more definition with more calories.

I sometimes have to eat bars, too.  Such is life, right?  =)  I also like some other easy snacks, like baby carrots with hummus, fruit, cottage cheese with berries, cheese and crackers, etc.  I also keep salad stuff together so I can whip one up easily.  But there is always a bar or two in my purse for emergencies.

Is it possible to maybe do half of the muffin each day, and have some eggs or something else with protein with it? 

Few of us can be "perfect" with our diets.  I know I'm not!  When I first started my journey, I was pretty strict about being clean, but I think I really needed that.  I actually want to get back there, because it felt amazing, and I actually didn't feel deprived after the first few days.  For some reason after several months, I let sugar back in in small amounts, and I wish I hadn't!  =) 

Good luck!!

Quoting melner18:

Thank you so much! I will definitely check out your "clean eating" journal. I probably could cut back on the muffins, but they make me happy. They are my little treats each day, but maybe I can find a different treat so I'm not eating a muffin every day.

With little kids - a 2-year-old and 6-year-old - I also sometimes eat "nutrition bars". I imagine they aren't necessarily clean.

As for calculating my BMR, that would be great. I'm 31 (but will be 32 in August).

I imagine the number calculated will be higher than what I am eating and that I'll be "scared" to eat that much in fear that I'll gain weight. But I think I need to eat more in order to be healthier.

Thank you so much for the helpful advice and positive support. I really appreciate it!

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting melner18:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)