Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I am such a cardio wimp! I get winded in like 2 minutes. I feel really stupid running 2 minutes, then stopping to walk. how did you get started?

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Replies (11-20):
mkfran
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I'm not a runner yet but last year i joined the running group at the YMCA they start you out walking, running for 30 sec, then walk for a min or two, then running (alternating back and forth).  After a week or so you run for 45 seconds, increasing the running and decreasing the walking each week until you can run a mile without stopping.  I hsd to drop out because I had bad shin splints but I want to start back.

andrea96
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I'm doing the couch to 5K program right now. I had already been doing quite a bit of other cardio, so week 1 was way too easy for me. I started at week 3, which was still a little easy, but I didn't want to overdo it.

justinnaimee
by Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Couch to 5k
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think C25K is a great program for a lot of people, but it was too much for me, too.  What I did instead was a created a route around my neighborhood that would take me about 30 minutes (turned out to be 1.7 miles), and I'd run a block, walk a block (yes, in the beginning of my run, I was capable of running further, but it's important to conserve energy for the whole run).  Once I was able to do that well, I upped it to running 2, walking 1.  Then running 3, walking 1.  Then I tried to run as far as I could of the route, and did the first 3/4 or so!  That was a HUGE accomplishment!!  Soon after that, I started adding distance, following the 10% rule (no more than 10% increase per week).  Now I have a few half marathons under my belt!  I still walk occasionally (I actually plan it into my half marathons, but I walk 15-30 seconds each 0.5-1 mile), and I go by feel.  Some days I can run 9 miles without walking.  Other days, I need to walk 10 times in a 3 mile run.  There is NO SHAME in walking while running!  But I do understand that feeling. 

I did my first 5K about 5 months after I started running, a 10K 3 months later, and my first half marathon (20K) 3 months after that.

Quoting momkaribg:

I would like to here everyone's tips. Even the couch to 5k wore me out.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

When you get started again, pay attention to your form.  If you're landing on your heels, that can lead to shin splints.  I had that issue, too, and it's common with what's called heel striking.  It can also lead to stress fractures and joint issues.

When you land, try to land on the middle of your foot (or midsole).  Your steps should be shorter and quicker to help reduce the impact, plus, you'll actually run faster.  Aim for at least 120 steps per minute.

Be sure to get fitted for good shoes, too- they can make or break your runs!  No sporting goods stores- go to an actual running store.  Shoes are one place you CANNOT cheap out, especially when running.  Good shoes will get you 300-500 miles (depending on the shoes, your weight, and the terrain).

Quoting mkfran:

I'm not a runner yet but last year i joined the running group at the YMCA they start you out walking, running for 30 sec, then walk for a min or two, then running (alternating back and forth).  After a week or so you run for 45 seconds, increasing the running and decreasing the walking each week until you can run a mile without stopping.  I hsd to drop out because I had bad shin splints but I want to start back.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

kss12
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Lightly jog.. Like slightly press off the floor to bounce ya know? My neighbor runs all the time and she said jogging actually burns more than running as you get around slower jogging. I jogged with her and surprisingly made it 2 miles to the kids school without stopping.. And I am also a cardio wimp!
momkaribg
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Thanks it is finally warming up enough here to go out for a walk/run.

Quoting musicpisces:

I think C25K is a great program for a lot of people, but it was too much for me, too.  What I did instead was a created a route around my neighborhood that would take me about 30 minutes (turned out to be 1.7 miles), and I'd run a block, walk a block (yes, in the beginning of my run, I was capable of running further, but it's important to conserve energy for the whole run).  Once I was able to do that well, I upped it to running 2, walking 1.  Then running 3, walking 1.  Then I tried to run as far as I could of the route, and did the first 3/4 or so!  That was a HUGE accomplishment!!  Soon after that, I started adding distance, following the 10% rule (no more than 10% increase per week).  Now I have a few half marathons under my belt!  I still walk occasionally (I actually plan it into my half marathons, but I walk 15-30 seconds each 0.5-1 mile), and I go by feel.  Some days I can run 9 miles without walking.  Other days, I need to walk 10 times in a 3 mile run.  There is NO SHAME in walking while running!  But I do understand that feeling. 

I did my first 5K about 5 months after I started running, a 10K 3 months later, and my first half marathon (20K) 3 months after that.

Quoting momkaribg:

I would like to here everyone's tips. Even the couch to 5k wore me out.

lalasha
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:22 PM
That is exactly how you get started run for two walk for two. I used the couch to 5k app.
almondpigeon
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM
This is exactly how I feel! Logically, I know that people aren't really gonna notice that i stp running after 90 seconds (& notice that I'm panting like a dog), but I get so self conscious. I really need to figure out a way to snap out of that mind set. I ran years ago & I really miss it.

Quoting imacafemomer:

thanks! I will check that out! I live on a gorgeous bike path. I just feel like the other runners see how much of a wimp I am!

Frogy
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I joined my local running store for a 5k....I've done a 7 half marathons, 2 full marathons 3 trail runs. I never ran before the 5k program.  I'm not fast at all.  But I love it and i enjoy it very much.  I just lat saturday paced a friend for a 50 mile run, my runner ran 50, I ran 23.5 miles.  It was such a great experiance.  I'm gearing up for my first Ultra run.  I've given up road races for the trails and the beautiful wilderness!  I've been hooked on trails sence last year.  I go out every weekend and run trails.  I've yet to miss a Saturday this year.  My longes run to date is 24.5 of trails.  and believe you me, I WALK! some of those hills are insane! one step at a time dear! you will get there.  And once you are there, you will not stop! You will continue to build your endurnce. Sign up for a 5k and get started.  Keep us posted...It is easier to train when you have a race in the works....I have on the end of the month it is my first 5k, mud run.  I'm gearing up for Tough Mudder in Sept.  YICKS!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)