Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get motivated

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm a sahm with 3 kids in school and 1 at home all day and a husband who sleeps all morning cause he works 3-11.  I'm going to start working out, I've got a fit planner from Target and a Jillian Micheal's DVD ripped in 30, i just need to get some weights, mat, clothes and i should be set to start.  My only problem is that i can say i can do it and get everything, but how do i get motivated to get my ass off the couch and do it at home. What motivates you? 

by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Apr. 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I personally have a PT test I have to pass. I have a pair of jeans I try on and hang up as motivation to fit back into them... I keep pictures of motivational things around me. I text my husband or sister when I feel like giving up or like I might make a bad decision like skip a workout or eat something I shouldn't. Some people do goal wall collages. I also think if I can sit though a 30min TV show or be online for 30 mins then I can afford the same time towards a workout

I_need_a_name
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Im just tired of being big lol. Im 5'0 and so far ive lost 8 lbs so im 256.8. Every year since I was 190 lbs I said I was going to lose weight but all I did was gain it. Id quit working out and eating right after about 2 weeks lol. This year is different though. Time passes by quick. And I realize that of I had stuck with eating right and exercising bavk when I was 190 lbs...then I wouldnt be here where I am today (5 yrs later). So im sticking with it. I started March 1st.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I had to hit rock bottom to get serious. I must've started a thousand times, but it wasn't until I hit that rock bottom that even a bullet train didn't stand a chance at stopping me. It took getting frustrated and pissed off enough to make changes. Then I made a list of my reasons, and kept things that motivated me very visible. I started a journal where I'd put motivating images and quotes, wrote out my motivations, wrote out anything I felt like writing, etc. I wrote my weight and my blood pressure (which was borderline high) on the mirror in my bathroom, as well as my goals for both. As my weight kept coming down, I'd write the new weight below the old one (couldn't seem to get a BP check for the life of me). Seeing the numbers drop and remembering how I felt when I wrote that first number up there helped keep it in the forefront of my mind. Now, eating right and exercising are just normal for me, and I get pretty grumpy when I stray. My motivations have changed, and my goals are generally centered around fitness, rather than weight. I'm actually still above my ultimate weight goal (hit my initial goal), but my mindset is different now. I'm no longer worried about being so unhealthy, and am more concerned with eventually being an Ironman or completing a marathon or running an 8 minute mile. Those kinds of things only come with staying on track. :-) Find what motivates YOU, write it down, and keep it visible. Even some subtle reminder somewhere, like my mirror, can be really helpful. Remember that your goals are more important than some momentary desire.
You may have to physically haul yourself off the couch at first, but the energy and motivation do come. Try finding a workout you enjoy. It doesn't take a lot of equipment to get in a good home workout.
Good luck!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

a rock-bottomer here, too... saw a pic of my ginormous face in 2011 and that was it for me... the next day i overhauled my diet, started exericising, took baby steps and now, over 1yr later, i'm still going strong, have hit all of my goals and now hardcore training for tough mudder and just to stay fit.  

it's a lifestyle change and fitness has to be incorporated into your daily routine in order to make it stick.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My lack of good health and lack of energy are what motivated me to change my diet and start moving....that and the fact my doctor told me I'd be dead before 60 if I didn't make some changes (and I was 45 at the time).  I love how I feel now (26 pounds lighter, plenty of energy) and that is what motivates me to keep it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)