Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Its been a LONG year....

Posted by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 4 Replies

I homeschool year around, but normally take a lot of breaks so that my son and I dont get overwhelmed...But back in September...I started homeschooling one of his friends as well.  She is doing K12, and has a lot of   work to catch up on since she got sick a couple of months ago, and was in the hospital for over 3 weeks.

My son however has been hitting the books hard and is begging for a break...He has actually already started his next years curriculum. But I set a rule a long time ago that if she has school work...he has to do school work too...otherwise I cant keep the one with school work focused on her work.  She is very ADHD and its hard to keep her focused as is.

Leagally he has completed way over his 180 days of school...So I guess my question is, should I take back the rule and let him have some time off??  Or make him keep going because I am always telling him that rules are made for a reason...

by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I'd say give the kid a break. We all need a break from time to time, and there's no need to punish him for the other girl's illness or disorder. He may resent you if you don't give him a break periodically, especially if he's already getting so far ahead.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VeggieRunnerMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Can he maybe do something like school (quiet) without being actual school for her sake? (IF she would have a hard time schooling with him playing)

I guess I am thinking art, drawing, playdoh,......drawing a blank now lol!

AbbysMom1017
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Maybe look into letting him go to a one - two week camp? That way he's not there to distract her but is getting his break. Or if camp is not an option staying at a family members house?

I went to summer camps, church camps or went to stay with my family who lived on a farm when I was growing up and I loved it. I was still learning because the camps had activities to make sure we were having fun but still getting a learning opportunity in; and there were TONS of things to learn on a farm, math especially 

Razor_Leaf
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

He is looking forward to camps this summer..but they dont start til June

Quoting AbbysMom1017:

Maybe look into letting him go to a one - two week camp? That way he's not there to distract her but is getting his break. Or if camp is not an option staying at a family members house?

I went to summer camps, church camps or went to stay with my family who lived on a farm when I was growing up and I loved it. I was still learning because the camps had activities to make sure we were having fun but still getting a learning opportunity in; and there were TONS of things to learn on a farm, math especially 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)