Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prediabetes...now what?

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM
  • 27 Replies
I had my physical done about 2 wks ago and was told by my dr that my sugar levels are borderline. I'm scared. She told me I should limit my carb intake and to eat a healthy diet and exercise (which at the time had been doing for about 2 mos). Does that mean I can't eat oatmeal anymore? Should I cut out all carbs (i eat wheat bread). Any help/tips in how to deal with this would be really appreciated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I was pre diabetic so I limited my carb  intake. I lost 26 lbs and I am not pre diabetic anymore. I still check my sugars on my glucose meter when I feel iffy.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call your insurance and doctor back and ask to take a class.  Most places can refer you to a specialized class to teach you proper diet and exercise balance, how to take your blood sugar levels, etc.  Insurance will usually cover the cost of the class, as it is cheaper to get you informed than it is to start chopping off feet when you were left floundering.

Keep up with your weight loss journey.  My close friend had prediabetes and ended up with no blood sugar problems at all once she lost the weight.  You aren't diabetic yet, you still have a chance of preventing it!  Use it as one more motivator.

The bonus is with proper treatment you should find weight loss to be a little easier.  After my friend was diagnosed she noticed a major positive difference in her ability to lose weight when her blood sugars were being maintained properly.

pinkysmommy720
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know from experience, but my dad is diabetic and he still eats oatmeal and eats low carb bread. Watch the sugars in fruits and stay away from diet drinks.

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Thanks for your reply. How did u do it? How much carbs did cut back to? I really enjoyed having steel cut oats for breakfast but I'm scared to eat them now. I still enjoy a pb&j toast in the afternoon but I really try to stay within my calorie range.
Mrs.Torres2566
by Amanda on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to eat less than 100 grams of carbs. MFP says I can have 220 but I feel like crap when I do that much. Oatmeal will still be fine, I do cereal in the morning with fresh fruit. I have WW bread but I limit it. If I have cereal, than no bread for the day or vice versa. It's hard at first, but gets easier I promise.

Quoting mamaof3forlife:

Thanks for your reply. How did u do it? How much carbs did cut back to? I really enjoyed having steel cut oats for breakfast but I'm scared to eat them now. I still enjoy a pb&j toast in the afternoon but I really try to stay within my calorie range.

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Thanks. I currently do not have healyh ins but I'm def going to look into nutrition classes.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I would call your insurance and doctor back and ask to take a class.  Most places can refer you to a specialized class to teach you proper diet and exercise balance, how to take your blood sugar levels, etc.  Insurance will usually cover the cost of the class, as it is cheaper to get you informed than it is to start chopping off feet when you were left floundering.

Keep up with your weight loss journey.  My close friend had prediabetes and ended up with no blood sugar problems at all once she lost the weight.  You aren't diabetic yet, you still have a chance of preventing it!  Use it as one more motivator.

The bonus is with proper treatment you should find weight loss to be a little easier.  After my friend was diagnosed she noticed a major positive difference in her ability to lose weight when her blood sugars were being maintained properly.

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Thanks that seems doable :)

Quoting Mrs.Torres2566:

I try to eat less than 100 grams of carbs. MFP says I can have 220 but I feel like crap when I do that much. Oatmeal will still be fine, I do cereal in the morning with fresh fruit. I have WW bread but I limit it. If I have cereal, than no bread for the day or vice versa. It's hard at first, but gets easier I promise.

Quoting mamaof3forlife:

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Do you have a gym membership?  Sometimes they offer dieticians or nutritionist packages as part of the overall gym experience.

Worse comes to worse, ask your doctor for some good books on the subject.  Get on a site like myfitnesspal.com or weightwatchers online (I don't know their specific site, but I know they do a free trial period, and I think their food counter is free) and track your foods.  I personally use myfitnesspal, and I like that it easily tracks carbs, protien, fat, sugars, etc right there with your calories.

Quoting mamaof3forlife:

Thanks. I currently do not have healyh ins but I'm def going to look into nutrition classes.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

jdy9440
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM

BUMP!

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I do have a membership at the YMCA; I ll check to see if they offer anything like that. I'm already using mfp; Im just going to need to take a closer look at my numbers. im still trying to figure it out lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Do you have a gym membership?  Sometimes they offer dieticians or nutritionist packages as part of the overall gym experience.

Worse comes to worse, ask your doctor for some good books on the subject.  Get on a site like myfitnesspal.com or weightwatchers online (I don't know their specific site, but I know they do a free trial period, and I think their food counter is free) and track your foods.  I personally use myfitnesspal, and I like that it easily tracks carbs, protien, fat, sugars, etc right there with your calories.

Quoting mamaof3forlife:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)