Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Help!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM
  • 5 Replies
I just found out today my bmi is 35.1 and I'm terrified of my risk of heart attack, stroke, etc

I knew i was overweight but never knew i was considered obese. I am going to sign up for weight watchers online once i can afford the extra and just signed up for a ymca membership a few days ago.

Does anyone know how serious a bmi of 35.1 is? I wish i could see my family doctor but hubby just got laid off and we lost our health insurance last month.

Any tips to help me jump start into a healthy exercise and diet routine? What are the best equipment at the gym or ymca to help lose body fat rather than gain muscle.. Just any advice or programs/things that helped you get into a good routine. Thx

I am determined to change my life around.

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

The best thing you can do is eat cleanly- no processed foods, only whole sources of lean proteins, whole grains, dairy and produce. Also, make sure that you are getting enough water. Take your weight and divide by 2. This is how many oz you should drink daily. 

You should incorporate the following into your workout regimen: cardio 4-5x per week, strength training 2-3x per week, and flexibility/core 2-3x per week. You need strength training to build muscle. It is very important for women to pull weights or use your own body weight. As we build lean muscle mass, we burn more calories at rest and during workouts. It will also help you in being able to burn through fat stores during cardio workouts. Core work and flexibility is equally important as we lose flexibility as we age and that affects our overall quality of life. 

You can do it!

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

cowgirls10181
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I suggest you start simple and reduce or remove sugars from your diet, its difficult for the first week but replace the sugar foods with fruit. After you accomplish this then change salty snacks to crunchy veggies, which is where i am.. im not a big fresh veggie eater! Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Monsita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:44 AM

hugsI am as new as you are in this department....but I can tell you that keep on moving WILL HELP YOU to get the desire TO KEEP ON MOVING!!!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

You can do it!  I know it's scary- been there!  My BMI was 46 when I started, with high blood pressure.  This is the time to make those changes, while you're motivated!

I have a few journals you might like:

What's working for me

Eating clean

Weight loss tips

Resources

Be sure to make changes you can stick with, that are realistic for YOUR life.  You don't have to do a complete 180 overnight (you can if you're highly motivated, which it sounds like you are, but for a lot of people, that can be overwhelming). 

What kinds of activity do you enjoy?  There's no "wrong" exercise, as long as you're getting your heart rate up!  Be sure to mix it up, so that you're using different muscle groups.  You'll be less likely to get bored that way, too.

You can do it!!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Barb10
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)