Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Fat people work out so why is it...?

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Why is it that work out clothing doesn't seem to come in anything larger than size 12... and XL is not exactly what I'd call XL!

I just went on Lululemons site to see about a top that I like and there is NO way anything they have- tops/ sports bras or anything will fit.   Even when I lose the weight and get to a 12...my boobs are too big for any of it (not jsut a problem with work out clothes-but still...)

It's not just them either

it's just kind of frustrating!  

What's up with that?  I mean bigger people work out too!

***********EDIT**********

I KNOW that Walmart and Target have some work out clothing for bigger sizes.  I want CUTER things than a stupid tshirt or top that is so tight is shows off my rolls.  I have lost a lot of weight -but still not ready to show off the rolls I still have!

I wanted a top like the one I posted from Lululemon...but I have looked pretty much all day- online and off and found nothing like it at all anyhwere.  I am just frustrated that I can wear a size large tshirt and look ok- but can't fit into anything in some of the stores I've seen.   Oh well...maybe after I lose another 30 lbs- then I doubt it-because my boobs are too huge for their stuff anyway!

by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mel0dy
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

My friend says the samething 

LuLuThatsWho
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Interesting... I've never noticed that.

Here's a bump.  Maybe someone knows where to get larger workout clothing.

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I think cheaper stores would have better selection.... check walmart?

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Well said! I'm no where near a 12, and I've been able to find workout clothes at Old Navy and Target.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilysmom8
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I know what you mean. I honestly go to walmart and get plain tshirts and sweat pants to work out in, but Id love to have "prettier" stuff
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Yeah -walmart has stuff- but none of it fits right- rides up and such (as far as tops go)  or I jsut don't feel comfortable in it you know?

lacyleanne
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

I love target, I haven't worn shorts in a long time and I just bought some that fit so good. 

Ma2Liam
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I agree. I get Road Runner mailers and like some if the clothes but they only go to XL. I hate it. So I get to wear sucky clothes to workout because I am overweight. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Let's be honest: How MANY big girls work out versus skinny girls?

I am not bashing, I'm a "big girl."  I wear an H cup bra, hoping to get a reduction someday.  I gained 75 pounds with my first baby due to frequent bed rest.  It took a long time to get that back down.

But when I go to the gym, it's about 10-1 skinny versus big girls.  The market is just bigger for the skinny girls, so that is what is stocked, marketed, and produced more.

Though I do wonder: would more of us big girls make an appearance if we could find stuff that fits and is comfortable to work out in?  Stuff the made us feel good about ourselves so we could walk in with some freaking confidence for a change?

Here are some sites I found and use:

http://www.womanwithin.com/Plus-Size-WW-Active.aspx?DeptId=24492&affiliate_id=020&affiliate_location_id=51&WT.srch=1&gclid=CMrCy4G21LYCFQjOnAodNRIA6A

They tend to run big, but I find it is best to buy them a bit big and get them tailored down for the best, most comfortable fit.

http://www.lanebryant.com/active/view-all/20230c20233/index.cat

I find a lot of the tops tend to run small.  Again, buy up, tailor down.  It is NOT a waste to tailor gym clothes!  And most tailoring for that kind of thing is actually pretty cheap.

Good luck!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Practice Freely Tank

Practice Freely Tank

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)