Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

NEED to make changes!!! LETS GO!!

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

Nursing school is kicking my butt health wise!!!  I can't take it anymore!!  I HATE the way I've been feeling and I NEED to make changes!!  I am low on time and money!  I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get the insanity workout but can't afford it right now :( 

I will be working out using my Taebo, kettlebells and pilates workout DVDs I have...and running at the track...but I will have the kiddos so we shall see how much I actually get done.  I will do my absolute best to eat better....but at the moment, I'm not sure how I will give up my coffee though LOL

So refresh my memory and tell me how to start kicking some butt...literally!!!  What do you guys eat for breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner.....??  I heard too many fruits weren't good because of the sugars in it...?  I LOVE greek yogurt,  but it's gotta have flavor.  Listen, I don't like eating things that tast like cardboard! LOL and as far as brown rice... well, I tried it the other day with the minute instant stuff bc it was all Aldi's had and it tasted like popcorn. LOL but not in a good way....even the DH who would normally eat anything, didn't like it....and the kids obviously did NOT!  :-/ 

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BUBS2012
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 1:10 PM
I bought the Dvd 30 day shred by Gillian Michael's for 9.95 at walmarts and its very good. It has three 20 minute sessions it has cardio, abs and strengthening
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
livndaybyday
by Alicia on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm doing c25k now. I'm a RN too and know very well how nursing school sucks the life right out of you! Take time for yourself because between papers, care plans, all nighters, and clinicals, all the days run together and the next thing you know, you're taking the *shudder* NCLEX and job hunting while hauling around 30 extra pounds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm in nursing school, too. It's tough! Plus, I'm gone all day on my lecture days, because my son goes to preschool on my campus. I use that time to run and study. I also carry all of my food with me for the day for the 5 days a week I have school.
I also REFUSE to give up coffee, especially during nursing school!! I've lost over 100 lbs without giving up my coffee.
I eat clean, and that made the biggest difference for me. That's just how we eat in our house. Is your husband on board? My son doesn't get a choice- it's what I make or nothing. Sometimes he chooses nothing. He'll live. But we also talk a lot about nutrition and fueling our bodies. So he understands why he needs to eat healthy. He does get more than one choice, especially if I know it's something he doesn't like, but it has to be something healthy, and I'm not making him something special. There's no reason that my family should eat unhealthy food.
Fruit isn't the enemy, just don't have 5 servings every day. I also have to flavor my Greek yogurt. I add a little maple syrup (less and less every time), and some fresh or frozen fruit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinlife0607
by on May. 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Most of the time my DH makes it harder for me to be halthier.  Since I've been in school, and especially since we've been down to 1 car, he has been doibg the grocery shopping and will buy the bags of cheetos, raman soup, ice cream, creamer (when I have told him several times I can drink my coffee with a bit of sugar and coconut milk and do without the creamer), and lots of bread and pasta!  :(  He says he buys it because it's cheap and it's what we can afford until I am on summer break and he can pick up more work...or I am finished with school where he can pick up more hours at work or I am bringing in a 2nd income.  We've talked about it and how important it is that we support each other and be a healthier family so many times...there are times when I think he gets it...and other times I think he is just yessing me.

I also have hypothyroidism.  :(  My class and clinical days are from 6:45am to 2:30pm 5 days a week.  Afterwards, I am trying to make dinner, clean up after dinner, do homework with my oldest, do my homework, straighten up the house and do laundry, gives showers and get clothes out for the kids for the next day....and study FINALLY when the kids go to bed IF I have the energy or concentration to because MOST of the time I am just too exhausted! :-/ 

Quoting musicpisces:

I'm in nursing school, too. It's tough! Plus, I'm gone all day on my lecture days, because my son goes to preschool on my campus. I use that time to run and study. I also carry all of my food with me for the day for the 5 days a week I have school.
I also REFUSE to give up coffee, especially during nursing school!! I've lost over 100 lbs without giving up my coffee.
I eat clean, and that made the biggest difference for me. That's just how we eat in our house. Is your husband on board? My son doesn't get a choice- it's what I make or nothing. Sometimes he chooses nothing. He'll live. But we also talk a lot about nutrition and fueling our bodies. So he understands why he needs to eat healthy. He does get more than one choice, especially if I know it's something he doesn't like, but it has to be something healthy, and I'm not making him something special. There's no reason that my family should eat unhealthy food.
Fruit isn't the enemy, just don't have 5 servings every day. I also have to flavor my Greek yogurt. I add a little maple syrup (less and less every time), and some fresh or frozen fruit.

smalltownmom03
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Im am starting the 30 day shred in the morning. It is on youtube so you dont even have to buy it.

Quoting BUBS2012:

I bought the Dvd 30 day shred by Gillian Michael's for 9.95 at walmarts and its very good. It has three 20 minute sessions it has cardio, abs and strengthening

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Ug, yeah, that's tough for sure!  I know if DH did the shopping it'd be the same way.  Do you create a shopping list for him, since you do the cooking?  That might help?  Just one idea.  I plan out our meals, and make lists from that, which makes shopping MUCH easier and straightforward.  Luckily, if there's a list, DH is good about getting the stuff that's on it, but of course he also gets HIS stuff.  We've found the things that he loves that I can stay away from, so that helps.  It took awhile though.

Are you managing your hypothyroidism okay?  Especially with that your DH needs to be understanding!  Have you explained the disease to him and what the implications are?

I HAVE to work out in the mornings, because of exactly what you said- I am WAY too exhausted by the end of the day.  I get up at 4AM on clinical days (we usually have to be there at 6:30), so that I can run, be showered and be at the hospital on time.  This summer I'll be getting up at 4AM to get in my trail runs (with a head lamp!) before class (I'm taking 3 summer classes- KILL ME).  Some days, I can only get in 20 minutes, but I make those 20 minutes count!  I've been sore for DAYS from an intense 15 minute workout.  The days I can, I get in something longer.  We do what we can!  =)

Quoting lovinlife0607:

Most of the time my DH makes it harder for me to be halthier.  Since I've been in school, and especially since we've been down to 1 car, he has been doibg the grocery shopping and will buy the bags of cheetos, raman soup, ice cream, creamer (when I have told him several times I can drink my coffee with a bit of sugar and coconut milk and do without the creamer), and lots of bread and pasta!  :(  He says he buys it because it's cheap and it's what we can afford until I am on summer break and he can pick up more work...or I am finished with school where he can pick up more hours at work or I am bringing in a 2nd income.  We've talked about it and how important it is that we support each other and be a healthier family so many times...there are times when I think he gets it...and other times I think he is just yessing me.

I also have hypothyroidism.  :(  My class and clinical days are from 6:45am to 2:30pm 5 days a week.  Afterwards, I am trying to make dinner, clean up after dinner, do homework with my oldest, do my homework, straighten up the house and do laundry, gives showers and get clothes out for the kids for the next day....and study FINALLY when the kids go to bed IF I have the energy or concentration to because MOST of the time I am just too exhausted! :-/ 

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

lovinlife0607
by on May. 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM

He usually has dinner done before I even get home from school.  Like today it was cheesy hamburger and elbow mac... :(  NOT healthy!  But he keeps saying, it's the food we can afford.  Like this week for example, we had $50 for goceries and we are a family of 5.  2 of which are very picky eaters (but getting better). Weeks like this is also when I hear, "we could be getting a whole galloon of cow's milk for a few cents more then what we get with half a galloon of coconut milk. He is a nurse so he understands the disease and knows it's difficult for me to lose weight and I need all the support possible (would even without the hypothyroidism) but ATM his excuse is we get what we can with the money we have as far as groceries.  I had some cash on me from what I give the classmate that has been so nice to give me a ride to and from school/clinicals after my DH totalled my SUV in a car accident, I I bought some strawberries and bananas...but they will last 1 sitting with the KIDS and just a couple days with the kids and I.  I really don't get how everyone stays healthy, eats healthy...on a TINY budget like we have sometimes. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 11, 2013 at 3:43 AM
Cows milk can be fine, just be sure to use something like 1%. We do a lot of meatless meals to save money. I also make beans from dry and freeze them. I buy frozen produce. I hunt for the markdowns at the store. I make huge meals and freeze leftovers. I try to make what I can from scratch. I've found it's cheaper to make stuff from scratch than to buy boxed or other processed foods. Coupons, though rarely for healthy food, can be some help.
Does your hubby work at a hospital? If he does (or if he works somewhere else where there are RDs), can he talk to a nutritionist to get some good, easy, cheap ideas? They're really good with this stuff, since most of our patients are on fixed incomes, and can't make elaborate meals. Just one idea.
Are you on FS? That can be a HUGE help. We rely on them for our family. I really hope in another year when I graduate I can find a job and we can get off of them.
Planning out the meals saves a TON of money. It keeps food from going to waste. It'll also save you from last-minute trips to the store (and the wasted gas on that). You can also plan on taking leftovers for lunches, because of course taking food with you saves you money as well.
Keep working on those picky eaters- you'll only help them in the long run if you can get them to eat a wide variety of foods, especially healthy ones!

Quoting lovinlife0607:

He usually has dinner done before I even get home from school.  Like today it was cheesy hamburger and elbow mac... :(  NOT healthy!  But he keeps saying, it's the food we can afford.  Like this week for example, we had $50 for goceries and we are a family of 5.  2 of which are very picky eaters (but getting better). Weeks like this is also when I hear, "we could be getting a whole galloon of cow's milk for a few cents more then what we get with half a galloon of coconut milk. He is a nurse so he understands the disease and knows it's difficult for me to lose weight and I need all the support possible (would even without the hypothyroidism) but ATM his excuse is we get what we can with the money we have as far as groceries.  I had some cash on me from what I give the classmate that has been so nice to give me a ride to and from school/clinicals after my DH totalled my SUV in a car accident, I I bought some strawberries and bananas...but they will last 1 sitting with the KIDS and just a couple days with the kids and I.  I really don't get how everyone stays healthy, eats healthy...on a TINY budget like we have sometimes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN