Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

is anyone here trying the overnight diet??

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM
  • 22 Replies

I feel kind of silly doing this, but I'm starting this diet and I don't want to do it alone so I was hoping I could find some "support" here! Has anyone heard of it? It sounds like one of those gimmicky "lose weight fast" things, but it was created by a real doctor who is the director of nutrition at Boston University Medical Center. The way it works is you eat normally for six days a week, but one day a week you eat only high-protein smoothies. So on your smoothie day you'll lose a lot of weight "overnight" because your body will burn fat while you sleep. The author says that this is different from other fasting diets because you make sure you eat enough protein so you don't lose lean muscle mass. here's the website with more information: http://www.overnightdiet.org I'm going to do my first smoothie day tomorrow and I'll let you guys know what happens!!!

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Never heard of it, sounds odd... like a lot of others

I don't do "diets" though so I don't pay much attention I guess!

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Sounds pretty ridiculous to me...why not eat healthy and "normal" 7 days/week? The things people do and try to lose weight just crack me up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninjakids
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Sounds like a water weight diet same as the sacred heart diet was.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:09 PM
You're right, that does sound gimmicky. Honestly, doctors write up these bizarre diets all the time. One magical day a week may lead to being lighter for a day or two, but it won't help you long-term.
If it speaks to you, give it a go, but I'm a big fan of finding something that really speaks to you, something that you feel you could really do for the rest of your life.
caro100
by Carol on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I think mostly you lose water weight.

MommyOfOnee
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:24 PM
If it works, lets us know. I'm taking "skinny fiber" right now and I've lost 4.5inches from my waist so far. Don't know the lbs yet, I refuse to weigh myself till the 30 days is up. But alot of people think I'm starving myself by taking them, when really I have always eaten healthy, and since taking them all it helps with is my cravings for snacks in between meals(I still have snacks just not as much) and I eat less at.meals, but more frequently. Like smaller meals throughout the day instead of huge meals. It does make me feel Fuller faster, but as an example: I could eat a whole footlong sub before. Now, I will eat a 6inch and be full till dinner. I could eat 4slices of pizza before (rarely, I do eat mostly healthy) now 1.5-2 slices fills me up. So if you want to try this diet you found, do it! I'm happy with my progress and it took a leap of faith to try it. But I did and I'm getting results!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:29 PM
What's your plan when you hit your goal? The problem isn't whether these fads work to help you lose weight. The problem is what happens next. You have to learn how to KEEP the weight off. Otherwise, changes are that you'll gain weight. You can't rely on something to keep your stomach full forever.

Quoting MommyOfOnee:

If it works, lets us know. I'm taking "skinny fiber" right now and I've lost 4.5inches from my waist so far. Don't know the lbs yet, I refuse to weigh myself till the 30 days is up. But alot of people think I'm starving myself by taking them, when really I have always eaten healthy, and since taking them all it helps with is my cravings for snacks in between meals(I still have snacks just not as much) and I eat less at.meals, but more frequently. Like smaller meals throughout the day instead of huge meals. It does make me feel Fuller faster, but as an example: I could eat a whole footlong sub before. Now, I will eat a 6inch and be full till dinner. I could eat 4slices of pizza before (rarely, I do eat mostly healthy) now 1.5-2 slices fills me up. So if you want to try this diet you found, do it! I'm happy with my progress and it took a leap of faith to try it. But I did and I'm getting results!
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep doing what I've been doing all along, exercise and eating healthy. I have always eaten healthy, this medication is just helping me learn portion control. And its 100% natural. I was having a hard time loosing the weight, saw a post on here about skinny fiber, and I'm trying it.

Quoting musicpisces:

What's your plan when you hit your goal? The problem isn't whether these fads work to help you lose weight. The problem is what happens next. You have to learn how to KEEP the weight off. Otherwise, changes are that you'll gain weight. You can't rely on something to keep your stomach full forever.

Quoting MommyOfOnee:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

It's a gimmick.  You'll only lose minimal water weight and will probably feel shaky and hungry all day.  Your body already burns fat overnight (ketosis) once it runs out of a steady supply of glucose. 

What this might do is help shrink your stomach so that you feel full sooner/feel less hungry.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

The problems are that "all natural" doesn't mean anything, and that if you get used to being full with this other product, then get hungry without it, you may well end up going back to arger portion sizes.  I'd really try going without the Skinny Fiber, and focusing on your portion sizes that way.

Quoting MommyOfOnee:

Keep doing what I've been doing all along, exercise and eating healthy. I have always eaten healthy, this medication is just helping me learn portion control. And its 100% natural. I was having a hard time loosing the weight, saw a post on here about skinny fiber, and I'm trying it.

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting MommyOfOnee:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)