Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How much sugar is too much?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am crazy about herbal teas! I usually have two or 3 cups throughout the day with cane sugar. I am so addicted! I drink Oolong and Green Tea with about 2 tsp per cup. How much is too much if I am working towards defining my body? 
Idk if my size and info matters, but I am 5', 115 lbs, 20 years old, and breastfeeding. 

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I would slowly work to eliminate it. Sugar is an ab killer. I used to put 2 Splendas in my coffee for every cup, and now I'm down to 1/2 a packet in a cup, and still cutting back. Sugar should make up less than 10% of your total calories for the day, which is really hard to achieve if you're adding it to your tea. Even fruit can put you over on sugar. Do you track your food on MyFitnessPal? It'll break down your sugar for you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetEvangeline
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Are there any better sugar subs. I've heard about Agave nectar. I hate the sugar subs, such as equal and splenda. My fitness pal counts it as 0 sugar....

Quoting musicpisces:

I would slowly work to eliminate it. Sugar is an ab killer. I used to put 2 Splendas in my coffee for every cup, and now I'm down to 1/2 a packet in a cup, and still cutting back. Sugar should make up less than 10% of your total calories for the day, which is really hard to achieve if you're adding it to your tea. Even fruit can put you over on sugar. Do you track your food on MyFitnessPal? It'll break down your sugar for you.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Agave is actually even worse, they're finding. Stevia is the "latest and greatest", but I don't care for the flavor. 1/2 a packet a day of Splenda I don't worry too much about, though my goal is to eliminate it completely. You can try using Sucanat, also called evaporated cane juice. It's just as many calories as regular sugar, but it's less refined. Either way, I wouldn't load it up. You can also try honey.

Quoting SweetEvangeline:

Are there any better sugar subs. I've heard about Agave nectar. I hate the sugar subs, such as equal and splenda. My fitness pal counts it as 0 sugar....

Quoting musicpisces:

SweetEvangeline
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Is honey better than cane sugar?? And thanks for the info!

Quoting musicpisces:

Agave is actually even worse, they're finding. Stevia is the "latest and greatest", but I don't care for the flavor. 1/2 a packet a day of Splenda I don't worry too much about, though my goal is to eliminate it completely. You can try using Sucanat, also called evaporated cane juice. It's just as many calories as regular sugar, but it's less refined. Either way, I wouldn't load it up. You can also try honey.

Quoting SweetEvangeline:

Quoting musicpisces:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM
It is, but only a bit. It's also slightly more calorie-dense, gram for gram, so just test it out to see how much you need. Even better if you can get local stuff!

Quoting SweetEvangeline:

Is honey better than cane sugar?? And thanks for the info!

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting SweetEvangeline:

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN