Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How many calories

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 16 Replies
MFP has been needing 1000 less calories a day compared to all the other calculators i have found. Which do I go by? Also how do i factor in bfing? My 2 yr old still nurses multiple times a day.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM
We can calculate your calorie needs for you, based on your BMR. We'll need your height, weight, age, and how often you exercise. How much is your little one nursing? It makes a difference, because nursing 3 times a day versus 8 burns a different number of calories. Great job nursing this long!! :-)
MFP, while it's a great site/app, tends to tell everyone 1200 calories, or some other way too low number.
JoJoBean8
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I'm 30 and 5'5" and weight 286. Ds nurses about 10 times a day on average. I walk 3 to 4 miles about 4 times a week.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:17 PM
BMR 2059
2059 + 500 = 2559 (minimum number of calories you should be consuming right now)
2559 x 1.375 = 3519
3519 - 500 = 3019
To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 2559-3019 calories per day.
Don't add back in the exercise calories MFP would give you, because this already factors in your exercise. You can also change your settings in MFP to reflect your goal. :-)
JoJoBean8
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:18 PM

That is way off compared to MFP. They just dropped me from 1560 to 1520. Thank you!

JenniferMiller0
by Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Wow. I use MFP a lot to calculate my calories. It says I should be consuming 1454 calories a day. If it's THAT off, no wonder I'm not losing weight!

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Wow. I use MFP a lot to calculate my calories. It says I should be consuming 1454 calories a day. If it's THAT off, no wonder I'm not losing weight!

Are you adding exercise in and then eating those calories back? If not, you are in "starvation mode". 

I can do your BMR for you and you can reset your profile on MFP to reflect my numbers. You would not include exercise in MFP as I already account for it. 

I would need your age, height, weight, if you are BFing or not and then # of days per week you work out. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Beenhereforever
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM
Can u do mine?

Height 5 feet 2"
Weight 146 ( trying to lose weight)

I nurse 5-6 times a day still and 2-3 times at night...

I started doing Zumba and other workouts 3-4 days a week.

Quoting musicpisces:We can calculate your calorie needs for you, based on your BMR. We'll need your height, weight, age, and how often you exercise. How much is your little one nursing? It makes a difference, because nursing 3 times a day versus 8 burns a different number of calories. Great job nursing this long!! :-)
MFP, while it's a great site/app, tends to tell everyone 1200 calories, or some other way too low number.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Quoting Beenhereforever:

Can u do mine?

Height 5 feet 2"

Quoting musicpisces:We can calculate your calorie needs for you, based on your BMR. We'll need your height, weight, age, and how often you exercise. How much is your little one nursing? It makes a difference, because nursing 3 times a day versus 8 burns a different number of calories. Great job nursing this long!! :-)

Take 2...the first time it would not space anything out..

BMR: 1421+500 (BFing)=1921

Maintenance while working out 3-5 days per week: 1921*1.55=2977

To lose 1 lb per week: 2977-500=2477

Ideal calorie range while BFing and working out 3-5 days per week is 1921-2477 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Beenhereforever
by Member on Apr. 21, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Oh damn. I'm in starvation mode!!! I only eat half of that!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Beenhereforever:

Can u do mine?

Height 5 feet 2"

Ideal calorie range while BFing and working out 3-5 days per week is 1921-2477 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 21, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Oh wow!  Yeah, that's not good for you!  =)

Quoting Beenhereforever:

Oh damn. I'm in starvation mode!!! I only eat half of that!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Beenhereforever:

Can u do mine?

Height 5 feet 2"

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN