Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

I'm new here... need some support

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi. I just joined here looking for support. I have slowly gained weight over the years -- first while dealing with fertility issues, then with the birth of three daughters (now 15, 10, and 5), subsequent PPD and anxiety... I'm now 46 and really wanting to get healthy so I can enjoy my children. Ideally, I'd like to lose about 90 pounds. I joined Planet Fitness about six weeks ago -- I've been trying to work out 3 - 5 times a week. Mosty I use the treadmill there for 35 - 45 minutes at a time, and I've been trying to change my eating and other habits to be more healthy. Unfortunately, in six weeks I've lost 3 pounds.That's better than none but it's making it difficult to stay motivated... What all have you done to jump start the process in a healthy way...?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lilpsmommie2011
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Hi, welcome to our group. :) I've not really been focusing on wt loss yet, I've mainly been focusing on the healthy eating habits. I'm going to really start focusing on the wt loss when school gets out. Don't focus so much on losing wt, if you start feeling better about yourself then your on the right track imo. You can message me any time. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Weight loss is about 70% eating habits and 30% exercise. You can do this, you just need to find exercises that work for YOU :) I lost 70 lbs in a little less than a year, It can be done!! Dont depend so much on the scale, take measurements and before and after pictures, they are a much better guage of fitness. Feel free to message me any time :) Dont give up!!!! xo

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Do you count calories? 

make small goals- like drinking so much water every day, working out so many min. a week...things like that. You can achieve them on a daiy/weekly basis and it can help you stay motivated when you know you are reaching goals start with little things and build on them

Mrs.Velasquez
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM
You can do it momma! Counting calories and watching what u eat is very important. I'm almost at four weeks and have lost 13.4 lbs. all by changing and watching what I eat. Plus adding 128oz of water a day, and cutting out soda.

It's a lifestyle change. You have to commit to it and stick to it.
GMW42
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Thanks... I probably am worrying too much about the scale. I do have two pair of pants that were too tight before that I can wear now. That's a better indication than what the scale says, I think. I'll keep focusing on the positives and not worry quite so much about the scale!

mamaof3forlife
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Welcome !
Sewsofun
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM

You should be lifting weights as well as cardio.  As women we need to hold onto and build our muscle mass especially while we cut calories.  Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat and takes up much less space on your body.  Also it is nearly twice as hard for us to build muscle as it is for men, and we are far more susceptible to losing it. Since your a member of Planet fitness, you should see if you have access to a free personal training session to get an idea of what exercsie you should do to start, or you could go on any website like womens health magazine, fitness magazine, oxygenmag.com  Don't be intimidated by the women in oxygen magazine.  Even if you don't like the "muscular" look of those women, doing the same exercise with lower weights will still be effective. and you would have to hit the gym SUPER hard and cut to be fitness model looking like that.

GMW42
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Actually, yeah, I do get a free one hour session with a personal trainer there at Planet Fitness, and they have some other free group classes to learn about various excerices / equipment. I've been planning on taking advantage of that soon. I started with the treadmill because it was easy, and  I do plan on adding more, different, stuff in soon. The only reason I haven't already is that everytime I think I have my schedule figured out, somebody (that somebody has been me... twice!) has gotten sick or something has happened, and I postponed it. I will be making the appointment for the personal trainer in the next week or so for sure! I'm also going to go to the group 30 minutue circuit workout training, as well. Thanks.

Quoting Sewsofun:

You should be lifting weights as well as cardio.  As women we need to hold onto and build our muscle mass especially while we cut calories.  Muscle burns more calories at rest than fat and takes up much less space on your body.  Also it is nearly twice as hard for us to build muscle as it is for men, and we are far more susceptible to losing it. Since your a member of Planet fitness, you should see if you have access to a free personal training session to get an idea of what exercsie you should do to start, or you could go on any website like womens health magazine, fitness magazine, oxygenmag.com  Don't be intimidated by the women in oxygen magazine.  Even if you don't like the "muscular" look of those women, doing the same exercise with lower weights will still be effective. and you would have to hit the gym SUPER hard and cut to be fitness model looking like that.

ashley9603
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I keep changing my workouts...I used to run on a treadmill alot and now I run outdoors....I also lift weights too.Do what you enjoy and dont focus on the scale so much,after all its just a number.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)