Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

When did it get easier for you?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
  • 3 Replies

First off this is a question specifically for women who are over 250 lbs or were and workout regularly.

I have been working out consistently for 3 weeks, atleast 4 days a week of cardio, and maybe 2 days of strength.  It's not my first rodeo, I used to be really fit in high school, not thin, but MUCH lighter than I am now. (Currently 282.4 down from 314).  To the point, while I've seen fantastic strides in my aerobic health (far less out of breath)  and have graduated from a 20 minute WATP video to a 30 WATP,  I still have significant burning in my muscles.  I do squats and lunges, I also mix up my videos with dance toning including a ballet segment that is quite vigourous and believe me, hard.  I'm just wondering how long it took you to see a decrease in the "burn".  It becomes so uncomfortable I find it hard to continue, when I know aerobically I could do more. It is really frustrating.  I would also like to mention I know workout should never be EASY otherwise it's not a workout, and I also know, because I'm heavier it automatically will cause more muscle burn for me than say someone who is only 130 lbs.

So tell me, how long did it take you before the burn subsided and you had to push harder to get it?

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:47 AM

Hmmm...  Honestly, it's hard to say.  I was 269 when I started, and I picked up running when I hit 250 (I was in the gym some, walking, and doing DVDs before that).  Running was a major struggle for a long time, and I kept my effort the same, but my pace got better.  Even now that I'm around 100 lbs down, my HR is still about the same it was when I started out (around 155-160 for a good hard run).  I think it just changes.  I wish I could say, "Oh, it got to where workouts weren't impossible around 210" or something more definitive, but really, in my case, I'd always been fairly active, walking and lifting weights, I just really out-ate my workouts.  Running was a MAJOR struggle, and I'd say it took a couple of months to not feel like I was going to die by the end, but again, I kept my effort up, and with that came speed over time.  I have consistently added new workouts, so my body is constantly being challenged, and I get sore all the time.  Some workouts I struggle through right from the start, some not.  But I've always kept my effort up, and just slowly seen an improvement in my endurance and such over that time.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

itsm3
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

IMO, it never gets easier; you just get better!  keep it up, keep challenging yourself and you WILL get better!

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Well i fell off the wagon and gained it all back plus some but when i got down to 190 (I'm back to 248 Right now) I looked forward to my workouts and felt a rush while i did them. I honestly think once i hit onederland I felt better about myself which made it easier. What is keeping me going this time is that i just found loads of stretch marks all over my body in places i don't normally notice. So i refuse to stop. I've been borderline religious with my calorie cOunting this time around and once this semester is over I'm going to start exercising a lot more again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)