Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Morning run question

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 3 Replies

Starting May 8th, my son and I are going to get up early and run. He wants to try out for track next school year. We are waiting until after my finals are over. (which is why the late start date). 

My question is should we eat before we run? Or wait until we get back? I think it would probably be a good idea to eat something. I am just not sure what is good for you when before you run. 

We are more than likely going to follow the couch to 5k program to get us started. But that only handles the running not the fuel. 

I hope this makes sense, if not I can add to it. 

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Channell07
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:20 PM
If I get up early, I like to run on an empty stomach. If you do decide to eat make sure that it is something that will be easy on your stomach like maybe a banana or toast and peanut butter
CrazedMomof2
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I can't eat before I run in the morning.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:39 AM

It's recommended that you eat something small before your run, at least 30 minutes prior.  A slice of toast or a banana is a great way to go.  Some people can't eat something before a run, but especially as you get to longer runs, you'll find yourself burning out if you don't eat something.  I get really light headed if I don't eat before I run.

If you eat something, go with easily digested carbs, about 100 calories or so for building up to a 5K.  Fat, protein and high fiber foods are harder to digest while you're running.  More simple carbs can be used more readily during your run.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)