Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

don't focus on the scale!

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 19 Replies
6 moms liked this

so many times i see folks on this board (and other boards) too concerned about the scale and use it as their main source to measure progress.  the scale is actually very mis-leading; it doesn't take into account a lot of things that make up your body composition and often makes women feel very bad about themselves...even though the number is basically inaccurate to begin with!  the scale will always fluctuate anywhere between 2-5lbs daily and could easily be affected by anything:  if you're on you're period, where you are in your cycle, if you're bloated, feeling gassy etc... 

so my point is to not use the scale as your main method of gauging progress! in fact, throw that thing away. it will only drive you crazy and you're going crazy over a number that's inaccurate to begin with!

as an example:  i am 5'4, weigh 135.4lbs but i wear a size 2 pants and XS shirt/dress size.  i used to be just over 150lbs back in january 2012,  a size 8/10 pants size and M/L shirt/dress size.

at 5'4, people are surprised that i'm 135lbs; they think i'm lighter because i don't "look" 135lbs. 

the reason why i haven't dropped down that much on the scale is because i have lost fat but gained muscle.  a healthy way to lose weight is to lose fat and replace the weight you lost with muscle gained.

so ladies:  toss your scale!  go by inches lost only!!

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melner18
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this
You look amazing! I am working at not having the number on the scale having so much power over me. It's easier said than done, but definitely something I'm working on!

Thanks for this message!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

So true!! a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat, its all about measurements and before and after pics!!

GMW42
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah... I'm guilty of relying too much on the scale. I think I'm going start having my husband  help me measure once a week... It'll help me focus less on the scale and more on other ways to see progress! So... waist would be a good measurement... any other body areas that you meaure? Thigh? Hips? Any suggestions...?

rockinmomto2
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Very true. I try to only weigh myself once a month because I'm trying to go by my physical progress in the gym and how I look rather than what my actual weight is. In reality, what you weigh doesn't matter; it's how you look and feel that matters the most.

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I used the scale in the beginning when i have more weight to lose. For example when I originally started my weight loss journey i was 230 lbs. When i got below 200 I started uSing pictures and measurements more because when I'm bigger i can't see the changes in myself in pictures.well i fell off the wagon and i took my before pictures at 251 this time and will use the scale until i probably hit 180 this time just to keep myself accountable and then start using pictures more often. My goal weight is 140
itsm3
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM

i tracked the following measurements:

• chest 
  • waist
  • hips
  • both thighs (mid thigh)
  • arms (mid-bicep)

Quoting GMW42:

Yeah... I'm guilty of relying too much on the scale. I think I'm going start having my husband  help me measure once a week... It'll help me focus less on the scale and more on other ways to see progress! So... waist would be a good measurement... any other body areas that you meaure? Thigh? Hips? Any suggestions...?

jessiew971
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM

you look so great!  this is one of those things that I have the hardest time with.  Before my baby I was a habitual daily weigher, like every morning right out of bed AND I had to be butt naked lol! Now that i'm trying to lose the baby weight I get so discouraged when the scale doesn't budge or goes up even though I am seeing subtle changes & my measurements are going down little by little, so it's definitely important to take pictures, take measurments & notice how your clothes are fitting

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Love this...thanks for sharing!

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I have been tracking my inches this time around. I still step on the scale but I get mor excited about an inch gone then. Pound gone :)
charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

that's not bad advice, but in my case, the inches did not seem to be coming off-when(all in all) the number was going down on the scale 

I mean yeah- I'd see a half an inch come off once in awhile -or maybe a whole one in a spot or two, but if I had only gone with that-I would have been SERIOUSLY tempted to give up.  Luckily, as I get smaller- I see the inches coming off as well as the number going down on the scale

*I will say though- that I had to stop getting on it so often- I was checking 2-3 times a week and now, I check about once a week-sometimes twice

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)