Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Paleo???

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 66 Replies

I just made my first Paleo dinner, Spaghetti made with spaghetti squash. I really liked it! Anyone have any advice on getting children to be more receptive to a lifestyle change? My 14 yr old made an awful face before she even put the first forkful in her mouth. Its so frustrating.

by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I wish I knew.  My kids have fought it tooth and nail.  I have pretty much given up until summer when I have complete control over what they eat, as opposed to going to school and getting junk handed to them all day... 

wrapandfirm
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I just saw a recipe for that today.  I need to try it - I was going to do paleo, but my doc wana me total carb free.  

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:35 AM
If i were you i wouldn't even tell my kids.I think it's more the thought of it they don't like rather than the actual food
Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Being totally carb free?  That would be extremely difficult without eliminating all fruits and vegetables (a huge component of Paleo) in addition to grains and sugar.  That's not good for you... your body does need carbs to function.  Just not as much as most people eat.  I would question your doctor about that. 

Quoting wrapandfirm:

I just saw a recipe for that today.  I need to try it - I was going to do paleo, but my doc wana me total carb free.  

norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. Even ketogenic diets to control medical conditions include some carbs. Usually under 20-50grams a day but still its some. I eat under 50 but I sti eat lots of non starchy veggies and low sugar fruit.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Being totally carb free?  That would be extremely difficult without eliminating all fruits and vegetables (a huge component of Paleo) in addition to grains and sugar.  That's not good for you... your body does need carbs to function.  Just not as much as most people eat.  I would question your doctor about that. 

Quoting wrapandfirm:

ReadWriteLuv
by Casey on Apr. 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I either end up making two separate dinners every night or I modify my meal to be paleo, just for me. If I make spaghetti squash noodles or buy shitake noodles for me, I'll make regular pasta for my husband and daughter. I want to be paleo, but I can't "make" them do it with me.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I won't do Paleo.... just doesn't seem like it gived enough variety in my opinion. 

JoJoBean8
by Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 1:48 PM

We are Paleoish in our house. We have a cookbook called eat like a dinosaur. It is aimed towards kids. It has many of kids staples but in paleo form. 

wrapandfirm
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM

25 is my limit - which is pretty easy to get without adding extra.  Carbs and my body don't mix - I did the shredder diet for six weeks, lost nothing.  Did the eat to live plan for 30 days, my coworker lost 18, I gained 4.  So I'm doing high protein, high veggies, low fat and dairy.  I'm also drinking Greens for added nutrition, two protein shakes a day and taking fat fighters and Thermofit.  I've finally lost weight!  :-)

DannieLou
by on Apr. 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Its hard to not tell them. They're going to notice that we don't have Ramen, mac and cheese, snack cakes, etc! lol

Quoting youllneverknow:

If i were you i wouldn't even tell my kids.I think it's more the thought of it they don't like rather than the actual food

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)