Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

how do you cook asparagus?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 33 Replies
Today while at the grocery I decided to get some fresh asparagus. I have never had it before. What's a good way to cook it? I'm thinking of making a pork steak and white rice to go with it.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LongBeachLiz
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I put it in the toaster over. I cover it lightly with olive oil and a little salt and just bake. It comes out great every time.
armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM
How long do you bake it for and on what temp?

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

I put it in the toaster over. I cover it lightly with olive oil and a little salt and just bake. It comes out great every time.
justone_jen
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM
I steam it. I like asparagus a bit crisp. I think how long you stream it depends on how you like your asparagus.
lwalker270
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I steam it until it's crisp-tender and then drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice over it.

Delish!

Bauxite-17
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Steaming it, is probably the best way I've ever had it.

tinkerxbell
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I boil it for 2-3 mins and then drain it and run cold water over it. Its good just the way it is, doesn't need any added flavors. Asparagus soup is good too.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

like this....sprinkled with a little garlic powder, pepper, and salt

My kids love it raw, rolled up in thinly sliced meat and a lettuce leaf

reesesami
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM
I roast mine in the oven. Just drizzle some olive oil on it and sprinkle with a teeny bit of salt and a lot of pepper. I would omit the salt but my husband would complain. Then just roast at 400 until it is cooked, stirring it around every few minutes.

If it looks like it is drying out before it gets to the doneness I like, I add a splash of all natural apple juice to the pan. That's how I make all of my roasted veggies and all my friends and family love them! They are requested for every potluck or party we go to. I'm also a vegetarian, so I know how to cook my veggies:)
roxysmommy
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Lightly steamed or sauteed in butter.

armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM
About how long does it take to get it nice and crisp when you cook it this way?

Quoting reesesami:

I roast mine in the oven. Just drizzle some olive oil on it and sprinkle with a teeny bit of salt and a lot of pepper. I would omit the salt but my husband would complain. Then just roast at 400 until it is cooked, stirring it around every few minutes.

If it looks like it is drying out before it gets to the doneness I like, I add a splash of all natural apple juice to the pan. That's how I make all of my roasted veggies and all my friends and family love them! They are requested for every potluck or party we go to. I'm also a vegetarian, so I know how to cook my veggies:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)