Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

St. Anthony's Triathlon (with pics)

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
If you saw my post the other day (or if you're my fb friend) then you know I did my first triathlon yesterday. It was the St Anthony's at St Pete Beach and it was an Olympic level one (1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and 6.2 mile run). We went Saturday and had to set everything up...put our bikes and all our gear in the transition area. It was so amazing seeing so many road bikes in one place! Because of the Boston Marathon bombings, we were given two clear plastic bags that we had to use for all our stuff. Anything else we brought in was subject to being searched. So Sunday we woke up and headed down to the beach at 5:30 to lay all our stuff out in order under our bikes for the transitions. The first waves (the pros) started at 6:50. It was really neat to watch them. Apparently this particular triathlon is really big and attracts a lot of them. They were crazy fast! As soon as the pros started they made an announcement that the water was too choppy and too dangerous out past the pier so they shortened the swim (for everyone except the pros) to a sprint level swim which is half a mile. This made me feel much better because I was nervous about swimming in the ocean because I don't tolerate salt water well if I swallow it. I was in the novice wave which was 2nd to last. I ended up started sometime around 8:45. The swim didn't go nearly as bad as I thought. I thought it would be my weakest part, but I think it was actually kind of my strongest given what I'm about to explain about the rest of the race. I finished the swim in 20 minutes, which I was really happy with. Because they changed the swim course, now to get back to the transition area we had to run 1/2 mile on concrete barefoot! It wasn't fun! And it made my transition time 9:30! So I head out on my bike for my 25 mile ride, go to change my gears just to figure out what gear I was in and they wouldn't change! I had just rode my bike the day before to make sure everything was good and they worked then, so I guess my bike just picked the perfect day to get the gears stuck...not! So I rode in the lowest gear the ENTIRE 25 miles! For anyone who has a road bike and rides, you know that means that there was just no way I could ride at a speed I wanted to the whole time. My goal was to average 15 mph (which is even a little slow for me, but I didn't plan on going all out with still having to run)...obviously I knew that wasn't going to happen. Oh and to top it off my battery on my speedometer died so I had no clue how fast I was going the whole time. Well I finished my bike in 1:41 which ended up being a 14.5mph pace. I was happy with that considering the circumstances but know I can do a lot better next time with a working bike. So I transition to my run in just over 3 minutes and head out. Thank God for crossfit and all those WODS running sprints after a billion lunges and squats! Because running after biking felt like a piece of cake! I was worried about how my legs would feel because I was never able to practice a bike/run but it was fine. However the heat was KILLER! It was full sun, the middle of the day, high 80s and humid as heck! I planned on doing a walk/run combo from the beginning, with mostly running...and keeping a pace of 12 min/mile (which is slow for me, but I knew I'd have to take it easy). Well about 2 miles in my left foot started cramping up really bad! Worse than I've ever felt before. So much so that I had to stop twice and stretch it out and the. Walk it out for about 3 minutes. That slowed me down a lot! My run time was 1:15 which was a 12:10 min/mile...so again I was happy with that since it wasn't much over my goal and I had issues the whole last 4 miles with my foot cramping. My overall time was 3:32.
Overall I had a great time and I would totally do it again next year! Now I just have a time to beat :) I'll post some pics in the replies.
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Mobile Photo

A sea of bikes!
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Mobile Photo

Setting up in transition the day before
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Mobile Photo

You can kinda see all the buoys we had to swim around (this was the day before when the water was calm...there were white caps the next morning)
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Mobile Photo

Outside the expo
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Mobile Photo

Where we were suppose to get out of the water before they changed it
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Mobile Photo

Looking into the transition area from the water
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Mobile Photo

Setting up in transition the morning of the race
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Mobile Photo

Getting ready to go! My mom and her friend were 2 waves ahead of me
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Mobile Photo

Finished!
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Mobile Photo

So proud :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN