Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking about a career change

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm seriously considering going back to school to get some sort of career in the health and fitness industry.  I work as a medical biller and coder now and the body has always fascinated me and when I started getting into reading about nutrition for myself, I just kind of geeked out.  I had considered a nutrition degree, but that's pretty useless without becoming a Registered Dietician, which is next to impossible to do online and with my schedule.

So now I'm looking more at Health and Wellness Education or something along those lines. 

Any suggestions or tips to help me find my way here?  LOL

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Short of getting an RD, there isn't much that's recognized in the field that you could actually do for full time work.  You could become a personal trainer, which of course includes nutrition, but that's more fitness-centered.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of nutrition certification I can do once I get my BS/MS so I don't have to do a whole other BS in nutrition.  I want to get something on top of my MSN/CNM so I can better help my patients in that area, especially regarding pregnancy/postpartum nutrition and nutrition related to disease processes.  But I think DH will leave me if I decide to go back to school... AGAIN.  LOL

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

fallenangel_353
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM
You can become a fitness trainer rather easily. A C E is a place you can look to start :)
I'm actually considering doing this. Dont laugh, but I want to run my own early morning boot camp...
mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

sending you a pm :)

Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM
In your opinion, is it worth my time and money to pursue some sort of health science degree? I'm not opposed to a more fitness related field.

Quoting musicpisces:

Short of getting an RD, there isn't much that's recognized in the field that you could actually do for full time work.  You could become a personal trainer, which of course includes nutrition, but that's more fitness-centered.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of nutrition certification I can do once I get my BS/MS so I don't have to do a whole other BS in nutrition.  I want to get something on top of my MSN/CNM so I can better help my patients in that area, especially regarding pregnancy/postpartum nutrition and nutrition related to disease processes.  But I think DH will leave me if I decide to go back to school... AGAIN.  LOL

mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I am getting my ACSM certifications for PT. It is one of the highest rated Certfications available.. one day I will go back to school for an Exercise Physiology degree, but my kids' education comes first. I have a degree, so I am choosing to spend money on private school rather than me go back to college again. 

You can get an AS in Exercise Science of Fitness and Health. 

Here are some classes that are required: 

• Anatomy and physiology
  • Fitness
  • First aid
  • Weight training
  • Aerobics
  • Athletic training
  • Nutrition

You can get a BS in: 

Exercise Science

Kinesiology

Physical Education

Here are classes that are required for a BS: 

• Human anatomy
  • Strength and conditioning
  • Sports and fitness nutrition
  • Theory of exercise
  • Fitness and health analysis
  • Weight management
  • Biomechanics

A Master's is also available and you must already hold a BS in Exercise Science or Kinesiology. 

Class list for a Master's:

• Exercise physiology
  • Health program evaluation
  • Physical activity for the aged
  • Sport psychology
  • Applied kinesiology
  • Biostatistics
  • Epidemiology

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

darbyakeep45
by Darby on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:08 PM

These ladies have some good advice...good luck!

Silvertears1275
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Quoting fallenangel_353:

You can become a fitness trainer rather easily. A C E is a place you can look to start :)
I'm actually considering doing this. Dont laugh, but I want to run my own early morning boot camp...

Thanks, I'll look at their website =)  And I'm not laughing, I think that's awesome!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM

It depends on what you want to do, but look at what the career options are before you decide on what degree to get (for example, an AS pretty much won't get you a job anywhere).  Take a look at the ones Claire listed, and do some exploring online in the field.  Most of the people I've worked with have been RDs or nurse educators (which requires an RN).  But you can talk to nutrition clinics, or even the Veteran's Affairs offices for jobs and what they require.  A good Google search should yield some info for you.  =)

Quoting Silvertears1275:

In your opinion, is it worth my time and money to pursue some sort of health science degree? I'm not opposed to a more fitness related field.

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)