Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Running/walking shoes?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 10 Replies
Since its finally starting to warm up here in North Dakota! I'm going to start walking/running about 4 miles a day, three-four times a week. And I have shoes but they really hurt the arches of my feet when I run! Ouch!
Do you guys have any suggestions on what kind of shoes to buy, that aren't too over priced?

Thank you!
Trying to lose some weight and I have a daughter that has to go running with me, in her stroller, so it's kind of difficult.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Monsita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM

ANY WALKING / RUNNING SHOES WILL DO! 

as long as you have at least two pairs of shoes, to take turn during your running/walking days!!!woohoo

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this
You should really go to a specialty running store and have them fit you for shoes. They will see how you run and then recommend shoes for you. Shoes aren't somewhere I would go cheap on because having the wrong shoes is a big cause of injury for runners. I spend anywhere from 90-150 on a pair of running shoes.
mcginnisc
by Claire on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Monsita:

as long as you have at least two pairs of shoes, to take turn during your running/walking days!!!woohoo

False... you should never just grab a pair off the shelf and go... you need to be fitted at a running store. Period. This ensures that you have the proper shoe for your gait. Some people are over pronators, some are under pronators and some are neutrals..there are shoes for all types of runners. When you just grab a pair off the shelf and go, you risk injury ( which OP already has- arch pain when running). It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. Running in improper shoes can cause: Plantar Fasciitis, shin splints, knee pain around the patella, stress fractures, and IT band problems. Shoes should be replaced at least every year or 500-600 miles ( which is an average of 15-20 miles per week). I spend between $100-$150 per pair. 

Personally, I'm a neutral runner. I prefer Brooks. I have worn Ghosts for the past several years and have recently purchased a minimal shoe- Brooks PureFlow2. It has very little stability, so it is almost a barefoot shoe like a Vibram. Mine has a 4mm distance between foot and surface whereas a Vibram has a 0mm distance. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Monsita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Monsita:

False... you should never just grab a pair off the shelf and go... you need to be fitted at a running store. Period. This ensures that you have the proper shoe for your gait. Some people are over pronators, some are under pronators and some are neutrals..there are shoes for all types of runners. When you just grab a pair off the shelf and go, you risk injury ( which OP already has- arch pain when running). It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. Running in improper shoes can cause: Plantar Fasciitis, shin splints, knee pain around the patella, stress fractures, and IT band problems. Shoes should be replaced at least every year or 500-600 miles ( which is an average of 15-20 miles per week). I spend between $100-$150 per pair. 

Personally, I'm a neutral runner. I prefer Brooks. I have worn Ghosts for the past several years and have recently purchased a minimal shoe- Brooks PureFlow2. It has very little stability, so it is almost a barefoot shoe like a Vibram. Mine has a 4mm distance between foot and surface whereas a Vibram has a 0mm distance. 

Thanks for being nice while educating me on this issue!!!!!!!!!

VeggieRunnerMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM

If you are walking I wouldn't think it quite as important. IF you are thinking running take the advice from my 2 longest toes that bruised and the nail became loose.

GET FITTED!!!!!! 

Crashmonster1
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I love the skechers go run rides SOOOOOOO comfy they have like a memory foam arch support good stuff and they come in my favorite light brite kinda colors

musicpisces
by Suzanne on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I agree about getting fitted.  It is ABSOLUTELY VITAL as a runner that you're in the right shoes, or you will only get worse than you already are.  Shoes and bras are the two areas I CANNOT cut corners on.  I get a lot of running clothes at Ross and such, but shoes I will spend money on.  My current road shoes were $140, but I can run in them all day without pain.  I'm a distance runner, so that means something to me.  My old style shoes left me limping.  You need to get the right fit for YOU.  When your feet aren't properly supported, that transfers to your knees, hips, back, etc.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM

So not true. You need GOOD walking/running shoes that are fitted to your feet style. 

Quoting Monsita:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi , and exercising more? We shall see!!!! Follow me at MyFitnessPal

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I like my Asic's... they fit me perfectly, my feet don't hurt, and I can walk at least 3 miles without issues (I have a bad ankle with pins perm in and a bad hip and knee as well) so far at least.

livndaybyday
by Alicia on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM
I love my Merrells! I tend to go barefoot a lot and love minimalist shoes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN