Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I do not have a gym membership. But i have 5lb and i believe 15 lbhand weights (I need to look for the ffifteens)

I am scared of having bat wings considering i have 109 lbs to lose. I want to try and lift or strength train the entire time I'm losing weight to prevent as much loose skin as humanly possible, even though i know genetics factor in.

Can i prevent bat wings with such light weight or body weight resistance strength training? And if so, what dumbbell exercises orbody weight exercises can help me the most?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM

See what you can do with them.  You might want to get other weights for in between.  When you can do a ton with the 5s, you don't want to go to 15, you want to go to 8 or 10.

Quoting youllneverknow:

Ok So i should use the 15s for other arm work and the 5s at least to start out for the tricep work right?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting youllneverknow:

Well doing a lighter weight but more reps still help with the tricep area though?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Stephd710:

Yes, heavy weights will build bulk and light weights will tone and burn fat. 

Quoting youllneverknow:

So the lighter weight will work i just have to do lots of reps? Thank you!

Quoting Stephd710:

Light weights, LOTS of reps to the point of muscle exhaustion will burn that fat right off and tone it up!  Push ups, kickbacks, rows, extensions, all work!! 

Heavy weights are not going to make her bulk up though. It is very difficult for women to bulk up as we dont' have enough testosterone in our systems. By lifting heavier weights, she will manage to burn calories more effectively and can increase the rate at which she builds lean muscle mass as it takes 12 weeks to build 2-4 lbs of lean muscle mass.

Yes, it will... heavier will result in faster results, but lighter is still effective.. also, you have to keep in mind, that most people can't do a 15 lb tricep kickback or extension. A lot of people do not have a lot of tricep strength. I do extensions with a max of about 15-20 lbs, kickbacks are usually 8-10s, skull crushers are usually around 10-12s..sometimes 15s.. I have fairly strong tris though. 

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM
The only problem with that is i can't afford heavier weights or a gym membership:(

Quoting musicpisces:

It will help some, but not nearly as much as a heavier weight with 8-10 reps.  If you're using a weight that you can do 15+ reps of, you won't see much change, even if you work to fatigue.

Quoting youllneverknow:

Well doing a lighter weight but more reps still help with the tricep area though?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting Stephd710:

Light weights, LOTS of reps to the point of muscle exhaustion will burn that fat right off and tone it up!  Push ups, kickbacks, rows, extensions, all work!! 

Heavy weights are not going to make her bulk up though. It is very difficult for women to bulk up as we dont' have enough testosterone in our systems. By lifting heavier weights, she will manage to burn calories more effectively and can increase the rate at which she builds lean muscle mass as it takes 12 weeks to build 2-4 lbs of lean muscle mass.

MamaJessx3
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM
3 moms liked this
Why are you PMing instead of replying in here? I've seen you talk about a product or weight loss thing before. If you're PMing about it then that's against the advertising rules FYI. It's been made very clear in here that you can't do that.

OP if anyone pms you about a product or program that's advertising and you can and should report them.

Quoting mandaboo99:

Sending you a pm :)

paramore-marie
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Overhead extensions with the weights. They are very effective even with small weights. You could probably look them up if you don't know exactly how to do them..

Quoting youllneverknow:

I know what the dips are what are tricep lifts?

Quoting paramore-marie:

Tricep dips & tricep lifts are great for the bat wing area..

bibdybobdyboob
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No clue since I have bat wings.  LOL

I have some old weight lifting VHS tapes I work out to.  But my triceps just don't listen to me. :-)

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:40 PM
It wasn't a product she suggested chalean extreme and she was very helpful. It's all good:) I'm just too broke

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Why are you PMing instead of replying in here? I've seen you talk about a product or weight loss thing before. If you're PMing about it then that's against the advertising rules FYI. It's been made very clear in here that you can't do that.

OP if anyone pms you about a product or program that's advertising and you can and should report them.

Quoting mandaboo99:

mem82
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I am with you. I bulk up like a man if I use heavier weights.

Quoting Stephd710:

Ok, to each their own.   I have seen much faster results on my own body with light weights and more reps.  

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Stephd710:

If she is wanting to get rid of flab, she needs light weights with lots of reps.  Heavy weights goes against everything every trainer and video has taught me for getting rid of arm fat.  For bigger muscles, yes heavy weights are good.  

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting Stephd710:

I'll be a trainer in a matter of weeks and can tell you first hand that heavier weights will get her results faster. They will blast fat much faster as she will build lean muscle mass at a faster rate. Lifting heavier weights actually increase your metabolism and will hep you to "tone" faster than lifting lighter weights. It is actually a myth that lifting lighter is better to tone. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

You might see what you can find on Craigslist.  Also, see what you can use around your house or yard.  I do a lot using sandbags from the garage!  I also flip an old tractor tire up and down the driveway.  I do step ups on our retaining wall.  It's all about getting creative.

You can also do body weight stuff (like the tripcep dips).  Push ups are great, but especially chattarunga push ups or pike push ups if you want to target your triceps.  Chattarunga push ups are where you keep your arms in to your body.  Your hands will be lined up with your body, fingers toward your head (if that makes sense), and elbows in.  Try them on your knees, because your full body is especially tough!  Pike push ups, think of doing downward dog, where you're bent at a 90 degree angle at the hips, then do a pushup in that position.  Yowza!  =)

Quoting youllneverknow:

The only problem with that is i can't afford heavier weights or a gym membership:(

Quoting musicpisces:

It will help some, but not nearly as much as a heavier weight with 8-10 reps.  If you're using a weight that you can do 15+ reps of, you won't see much change, even if you work to fatigue.

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting Stephd710:

Suzanne

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Agreed.  You are totally allowed to recommend videos (like Chalean Extreme)- we all discuss those types of things.  You just can't promote the fact that you sell them.  This is NOT the place to solicit potential customers.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting mandaboo99:

Suzanne

MamaJessx3
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I agree! I'm all for using your own body weight. It's the best piece of equipment you own :)

Quoting musicpisces:

You might see what you can find on Craigslist.  Also, see what you can use around your house or yard.  I do a lot using sandbags from the garage!  I also flip an old tractor tire up and down the driveway.  I do step ups on our retaining wall.  It's all about getting creative.

You can also do body weight stuff (like the tripcep dips).  Push ups are great, but especially chattarunga push ups or pike push ups if you want to target your triceps.  Chattarunga push ups are where you keep your arms in to your body.  Your hands will be lined up with your body, fingers toward your head (if that makes sense), and elbows in.  Try them on your knees, because your full body is especially tough!  Pike push ups, think of doing downward dog, where you're bent at a 90 degree angle at the hips, then do a pushup in that position.  Yowza!  =)

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting youllneverknow:

Quoting Stephd710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)