Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Fruitless diet / texture aversion issues...

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

Okay, here's the deal. I loooooove the taste of tons of fruits - strawberries, orange, grape, etc etc etc.

The problem is, I can't stand the texture. The best way I can explain it is the reaction most people get when trying to eat an oyster. That gag reflex type of thing. Only certain types of foods, and unfortunately most of those are fruits...

I've tried smoothies. I'm really trying to get the hang of those, but the thickness is a bit much. Maybe if I add ice or milk or something... Idk, I'll work on that.

ANYWAY,

I am trying to figure out a diet plan/suggestions for a healthy diet that exclude fruits other than apples and bananas (I can eat those). It's REALLY hard to find a diet like that, and makes it harder to lose weight.

by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moma3boyz
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I have a son the loves smoothies but not the thickness. I use milk in his and make a not so thick fruit "milkshake". I make the rest if the families with fruit, ice and honey then after we get ours out I add milk until it gets to the right thickness.
itsm3
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:17 AM

if you blend some oj with fresh berries and ice (and toss in some kale, spinach etc), it won't be thick.  if you add things like yogurt or banana, it will be thick.

fruits are recommended because they contain amazing amounts of nutrients that are so good for you and your overall healthy but you don't need them to lose weight.  you can eat plenty of fresh veggies and other healthy, wholesome fresh foods...fruits just add more variety to your diet (ie. during snacks etc).

momof3jam
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

That sounds great. If I can convince myself that it's a milkshake, maybe that will help... lol

Quoting Moma3boyz:

I have a son the loves smoothies but not the thickness. I use milk in his and make a not so thick fruit "milkshake". I make the rest if the families with fruit, ice and honey then after we get ours out I add milk until it gets to the right thickness.

youllneverknow
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I put Ice in my smoothies solves my pRoblem perfectly
mandaboo99
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Ice will only thicken it up, milk will add calories, try almond milk or water :). I drink shakes every morning and i LOVE them, theyre loaded with everything I need. Pm me If you want :)

N_maricle
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Just load up on veggies instead.

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I say eat what fruits and veggies you enjoy. I think any food you eat should be as balanced as possible.
imacafemomer
by on May. 1, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel that way too about fruit. Very strange. I can't eat grapes or apples bleck bleck bleck they just feel wierd! I am glad I am not the only one.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

You can generally get the majority of the nutrients in fruits from vegetables, as long as you get in a wide variety.  Fruits aren't ABSOLUTELY necessary, and contain a lot of natural sugars (which aren't bad in moderation).

One way I like fruit is in oatmeal.  You might try adding pureed fruit to oatmeal, which will sweeten it up, and eliminate the texture thing (unless you don't like the texture of oatmeal, in which case, scratch that!  LOL).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually prefer veggies to fruits for the most part. Apples, bananas an occasional grape or two, and canned pears are about it for fruit for me. Oh and watermellon in summer

I've been losing fine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN