Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Cossfit question.

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 8 Replies

I Was thinking about starting cross fit and when I go online to find out exactly how the works outs work i keep getting conflicting information. So my question is how does a crossfit workout work? 

by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Bump for Jess and Tonya (and the other CF'ers)!

Have you checked out a box (gym) yet?  I do some version of it, but I can't afford to go.  There are others here who would be great resources, though! =)

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

AjCeCeMom
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Honestly I would make sure you go to a class, its very easy to injure yourself in a cross fit workout. CF gyms are popping up all over the place in old warehouses, gyms, parks etc and are competitively priced. Even if you just go to classes for a couple of months it's a good base to have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

My gym offers it but its always full, and never have them when the day car is open of i can get a babysitter.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Honestly I would make sure you go to a class, its very easy to injure yourself in a cross fit workout. CF gyms are popping up all over the place in old warehouses, gyms, parks etc and are competitively priced. Even if you just go to classes for a couple of months it's a good base to have.

Hanab818
by on May. 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

my gym offers the class but its always full, and even if i could get inthey dont have the day care open andi cant get a babysitter

Quoting musicpisces:

Have you checked out a box (gym) yet?  I do some version of it, but I can't afford to go.  There are others here who would be great resources, though! =)

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yeah, that's frustrating.  Is there another box somewhere nearby where you can get in?  Or a wait list at your current gym, and maybe get a friend to watch the kiddos?

Otherwise, you can look at tutorials on YouTube, but it's always good to get guidance with form in person.

Quoting Hanab818:

my gym offers the class but its always full, and even if i could get inthey dont have the day care open andi cant get a babysitter

Quoting musicpisces:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Ok so basically it's like having a trainer every day. You go in and your workout is already preplanned for you. It's either a workout that is "FT" (for time)...for instance

3 rounds FT

21 push ups
15 KBS (kettle bell swings)
9 pull ups

Or it is a AMRAP workout (as many rounds as possible) for instance

15 min AMRAP (this is our workout tonight)

200m run
12 slam balls
6 burpees

And you get as many rounds as you can done in that amount of time.

You have trainers there coaching you and there are set class times you can go to. It's awesome! There are a lot of weight and body weight stuff along with cardio stuff as well. But it's definitely an extreme workout. I would highly recommend it!
Hanab818
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Any friend I trust works and goes to school. I would feel guilty asking them to watch them. I'm going to go on you tube and maybe over the summer when my mom is on break I'll try and get her to watch the kids. br />
Quoting musicpisces:

Yeah, that's frustrating.  Is there another box somewhere nearby where you can get in?  Or a wait list at your current gym, and maybe get a friend to watch the kiddos?

Otherwise, you can look at tutorials on YouTube, but it's always good to get guidance with form in person.

Quoting Hanab818:

Quoting musicpisces:

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM
And I would recommend finding an actual crossfit box and not going to a "crossfit class" at a gym. You'll most likely get more of the crossfit experience at a box. Many gyms that have classes don't have all the normal crossfit equipment we use
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)