Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Help me kick the sugar habit! so mad as myself right now!

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 19 Replies
I am a stress eater..and I stress eat on sugar and carbs.(I had been doing so good about not stress eating for the longest time) I have been really stressed recently..and I have a big trip coming up in October..and really want to be in shape for it. this weight loss journey has been
going on for what seems like forever..and I just want to quit right now.
starting this week I will not be bringing any more junk into the house; and I will not be serving the family any pasta for a while. I am just really upset with myself right now.
I am so excited for the trip in october and want to be fit and look my best..help me to kick the sugar
habit again!
feeling so defeated right now. :(

thanks for the encouragement ladies! i am still upset with myself, but today is a new day. time to move forward.
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
You can do it.

About 2 months ago we spaghetti squash for the first time. We all love it, it's a new favorite around here.
StarrTurner
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Im sorry we all mess up from time to time. So don't give up I know you can do this.

Queen_Bree
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

tell me about it all !! lol Im the same. I blew it so badly today. I ate pizza Like half) and french toast with too much syrup. I don't even like syrup. i ate it because I was stressed and upset. I was able to stop myself and realize that i was doing it because I was stressed. Understanding why you eat what you eat is important. I still eat everything I love like pizza and french toast but I usually eat far far less than I ate today. When I get stressed I know it can lead to unhealthy eating. You made the biggest step by asking for help. Biggest mistake is to stop eating what you love. I eat brad pasta rice and chocolate every day. Actually I eat a lot. But I dont eat more than a proper serving size and when my calorie count is done for the day I stop eating and drink drink drink. Drinking teas or water will help reduce your stress. Another thing that really helped me de stress is having a fish aquarium. I find it difficult to focus on issues when watching them swim. You should be proud of yourself for realizing the issue and taking action. I wish you all the best. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM
2 moms liked this

You can do this!  Keep your eye on your trip, and remember that instant gratification rarely feels good later, and it rarely helps you achieve your long term goals.

Are you planning your meals and snacks?  That might be a great place to start.  That really helped me when I kicked the sugar habit.

But the first step is to FORGIVE YOURSELF.  You're HUMAN, and we all fall from time to time.  Pick yourself up and keep moving forward, even if you backslid a bit.  It's okay, it's not going to completely undo all of your prior hard work, especially if you squelch it now.

I know it can be tough to look that far into the future sometimes.  For me, thinking about what lay ahead was really defeating.  I did better if I focused on what I was already doing right and how many pounds I'd already lost.  I'd focus on the next pound, then the next.  I didn't think about whether sugar was going to be part of my day, because it just wasn't an option, and it certainly wasn't on my meal plans that I'd made.  Keeping it out of the house is a HUGE factor for sure.

You can do this!  Keep moving forward!!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM
2 moms liked this

If you're interested, there's a program called the 21 Day Sugar Detox.  It's very good.  You don't HAVE to buy the materials...just follow along on Facebook.  I believe they start a new round on Monday....

annebloomers
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok the cycle of feeling stressed and eating then beating yourself up over it has got to go. The best thing to do is wipe it out of your mind and move forward. Minute by minute it's a new time and the past is gone. The longer you spend beating yourself up the cycle just continues and continues.

You aren't a bad person. I found the best thing is to find a hobby and when I get stressed dream about that or my next vacation, where would I like to go? How could I afford it or make a vacation at home, walk in the park, think of relaxing things.

One that helped me my mom said she read when you open the fridge or pantry, (write this on your fridge, I did!) "Am I REALLY hungry? or am I bored, stressed, upset?" My mom and I have been doing crafts in the evenings and she doesn't even think about eating (her worst time for snacking, mine is during the day at stressful work) I just get more water and think positive thoughts about how I love myself.

I rarely even crave anything bad for me anymore, it's been a few years for bad cravings , the only one anymore is chocolate and I get dark chocolate chips and allow myself 1/4 a cup each day and make sure I savor each one (it works really well!) then I'm really enjoying my food and not just 'using' it :) Hope any of that helps!!

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on May. 4, 2013 at 9:36 AM
we made c ouple of very big purchases this week. I am not a fan of spending money...especially a lot of money. i thought i would handle it ok..but the next thing I knew I was slathering peanut butter on thin mints. :( ugh!
I have kicked this habit before..and pasta tends to be a trigger food for me. I will still be eating bread and things..i just need the pasta far away for a few weeks. :)
I have to nip this in the bud now before it continues.
thanks for the encouragement.

Quoting Queen_Bree:

tell me about it all !! lol Im the same. I blew it so badly today. I ate pizza Like half) and french toast with too much syrup. I don't even like syrup. i ate it because I was stressed and upset. I was able to stop myself and realize that i was doing it because I was stressed. Understanding why you eat what you eat is important. I still eat everything I love like pizza and french toast but I usually eat far far less than I ate today. When I get stressed I know it can lead to unhealthy eating. You made the biggest step by asking for help. Biggest mistake is to stop eating what you love. I eat brad pasta rice and chocolate every day. Actually I eat a lot. But I dont eat more than a proper serving size and when my calorie count is done for the day I stop eating and drink drink drink. Drinking teas or water will help reduce your stress. Another thing that really helped me de stress is having a fish aquarium. I find it difficult to focus on issues when watching them swim. You should be proud of yourself for realizing the issue and taking action. I wish you all the best. 

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on May. 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I am actually considering an eating/food schedule, just to keep on track. the junk in the house is definitely going. I got it because hubby asked me to..and then it snowballed. i told him sorry but it has to go for a while. i just can't have it in the house. it is too easy that way.
today is a new day. time to start over again.

Quoting musicpisces:

You can do this!  Keep your eye on your trip, and remember that instant gratification rarely feels good later, and it rarely helps you achieve your long term goals.

Are you planning your meals and snacks?  That might be a great place to start.  That really helped me when I kicked the sugar habit.

But the first step is to FORGIVE YOURSELF.  You're HUMAN, and we all fall from time to time.  Pick yourself up and keep moving forward, even if you backslid a bit.  It's okay, it's not going to completely undo all of your prior hard work, especially if you squelch it now.

I know it can be tough to look that far into the future sometimes.  For me, thinking about what lay ahead was really defeating.  I did better if I focused on what I was already doing right and how many pounds I'd already lost.  I'd focus on the next pound, then the next.  I didn't think about whether sugar was going to be part of my day, because it just wasn't an option, and it certainly wasn't on my meal plans that I'd made.  Keeping it out of the house is a HUGE factor for sure.

You can do this!  Keep moving forward!!

tiredmomfor2
by ~Lyndsay~ on May. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
what kills me is I have beaten this cycle before in the past.
my worst time for snacking/stress eating it mid afternoon between 3 and 5. i think i just need to plan a healthy snack for that time or day..because if not...i have my hands in the cookies. :(

Quoting annebloomers:

Ok the cycle of feeling stressed and eating then beating yourself up over it has got to go. The best thing to do is wipe it out of your mind and move forward. Minute by minute it's a new time and the past is gone. The longer you spend beating yourself up the cycle just continues and continues.

You aren't a bad person. I found the best thing is to find a hobby and when I get stressed dream about that or my next vacation, where would I like to go? How could I afford it or make a vacation at home, walk in the park, think of relaxing things.

One that helped me my mom said she read when you open the fridge or pantry, (write this on your fridge, I did!) "Am I REALLY hungry? or am I bored, stressed, upset?" My mom and I have been doing crafts in the evenings and she doesn't even think about eating (her worst time for snacking, mine is during the day at stressful work) I just get more water and think positive thoughts about how I love myself.

I rarely even crave anything bad for me anymore, it's been a few years for bad cravings , the only one anymore is chocolate and I get dark chocolate chips and allow myself 1/4 a cup each day and make sure I savor each one (it works really well!) then I'm really enjoying my food and not just 'using' it :) Hope any of that helps!!

kbix82
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I only keep fruit and veggies in the house to snack on. Drink more water, if your stressing say no im not going to eat and run a lap around your yard or car or anything
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN