Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jemmy's journey

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 5 Replies
Okay, so I tried this before and didn't stick to it. I actually lost about 15 lbs the last time and gained it all back once I stopped doing this journal, so I'm trying again. My name is Jen, I'm 25 and when I weighed myself this morning I was at 253 lbs even. Saturday will be my weigh in day. I want to lose 100+ lbs but I know I have to do it slowly so I'm going to work on losing 2 lbs a week and my short term goal is to lose 8lbs this month.
Who am I? I'm a single mom to a 5 yrs old boy. I'm currently in a healthy relationship. I work an admin position that is pretty sedentary. So I know I have to start incorporating exercise. I've been tweaking so many aspects of my life over the last few weeks and I've found writing things down helps me stick to it and keep track of what I'm doing
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Jemmy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM
My dad had a heart attack last month. It was his third. He's had open heart surgery, two stents, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure... You name it, he's got. I don't want to be my dad.
I have a son who needs me.
I'm overweight (read as obese) and I smoke. So I have a lot of work to do. The last time I went to the doctors other than my unhealthy weight and bad habits, I was told I had no medical health issues. I want to keep it that way. So here I am.
Jemmy
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I'm doing a lot of budgeting to try to get myself into a better place financially. I've also started cooking a lot from scratch instead of eatin out so much. We used to do a lot of fast food and I'm workin on changing that. I have incorporated a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, and chicken into my diet lately. (And lost 3 lbs from where I was). I've been eating healthier (still working on making it really healthy but it it is healthier than a Big Mac lol) and smaller portions but I feel like I get hungry pretty quickly. And really quickly.
Jemmy
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM
little_mama83
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Congratulations on deciding to get healthy! Your reasons sound a lot like my reasons! I don't have a lot of weight to lose but the women in my family don't tend to gain a lot of weight, we just carry it around the middle. Wake-up call is that a lot of the women in my family didn't live to see 60 and I'm almost 30... I don't want my life to be half over already!
I have two kids and we're a busy family and we got into the habit of eating fast food A LOT!  I also work around unhealthy food all day so it's not always easy to eat healthy but I'm doing a lot better. It's a good time to start teaching your son about healthier living too! I feel so guilty about all the fast food I've let my kids eat, I'd just tell myself "they're too skinny anyway, it won't hurt" but deep down I know better than that. Just make sure you're getting enough calories! I cut out most of the junk from my diet and started eating more veggies without counting calories and after a few days I felt like I was starving all the time,  even when I snacked... I started looking at the nutritional information when I'd eat and realized I wasn't getting enough calories.... even though I was eating a lot more food than before. If you're sure you're getting enough calories and still feel like you're starving just try to opt for some healthy snacks more often than not. Good luck on your journey!

Jemmy
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Thank you! I made this post and then never posted on it again. I had gained three pounds but I've since lost ten total. I worked in fast food for six years and I always ate it.
Even when I got new job I still ate it almost daily and I have a pretty sedentary job so that didn't work together well. Lol. But I'm getting better with my choices. I've since started eating breakfast even if its just a cup of oatmeal. Usually I wouldn't eat anything. And my go to snack is frozen fruits. I've started packing my lunches and if I wanted a sandwich or burger it would be a turkey burger on a tortilla wrap instead of bread.
We had dinner at my dads tonight and I made a plate, with like half of what I'd usually eat an I was full. In fact, I felt like I ate a little too much (but it could've been the meat dice I've severely cut back on red meat and now it makes me feel heavy when I do eat it) and my dad was like aren't you going to eat more? So.. That kind of made me feel good. :-)

Quoting little_mama83:

Congratulations on deciding to get healthy! Your reasons sound a lot like my reasons! I don't have a lot of weight to lose but the women in my family don't tend to gain a lot of weight, we just carry it around the middle. Wake-up call is that a lot of the women in my family didn't live to see 60 and I'm almost 30... I don't want my life to be half over already!
I have two kids and we're a busy family and we got into the habit of eating fast food A LOT!  I also work around unhealthy food all day so it's not always easy to eat healthy but I'm doing a lot better. It's a good time to start teaching your son about healthier living too! I feel so guilty about all the fast food I've let my kids eat, I'd just tell myself "they're too skinny anyway, it won't hurt" but deep down I know better than that. Just make sure you're getting enough calories! I cut out most of the junk from my diet and started eating more veggies without counting calories and after a few days I felt like I was starving all the time,  even when I snacked... I started looking at the nutritional information when I'd eat and realized I wasn't getting enough calories.... even though I was eating a lot more food than before. If you're sure you're getting enough calories and still feel like you're starving just try to opt for some healthy snacks more often than not. Good luck on your journey!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)