Bikini Bootcamp Challenge Day 5: Stock Your Shelves
Welcome to day 5 of the Bikini Bootcamp Challenge!
A healthy diet begins in the grocery store.
As we discussed in Day 1, in order to be successful on your journey and drop the weight, you have to change the way you eat. One of the most common factors when changing your diet is not knowing what to buy. Here is a list to help you begin.
Stock your home with these staples and you will always be able to make quick, easy and healthy meals.
- Bell peppers
- Brussels sprouts
- Grape/Cherry tomatoes
- Green beans
- Leafy greens (kale, chard, spinach)
- Snow peas
- Spaghetti squash
- Sugar snap peas
- Summer squash
- Fish fillets (cod, halibut, haddock, sole, tilapia, salmon)
- Ground turkey/chicken (at least 90% lean)
- Pork tenderloin
- Skinless chicken
- Brown rice
- Healthy cooking oils (olive, grape seed)
- Nut butters
- Low cal dressings
- Seeds (Flax, chia, pumpkin, sunflower)
- Vinegar (balsamic, red wine)
- Whole-grain pastas
- Cheese (reduced fat)
- Cottage cheese (low fat)
- Egg substitute/egg whites
- Milk (skim for cows milk, soy or unsweetened almond)
- Ricotta cheese (part skim)
- Yogurt (nonfat Greek)
- Edamame in the pod
- Frozen fruits (no sugar added)
- Frozen fish fillets
- Frozen vegetables (no added salt or sauces)
- Turkey/veggie burgers
- Whole wheat mini pitas
- Whole grain wraps
- Whole grain sandwich thins
You don't have to buy them all at once. Buy as needed. Choose your favorites and the ones you will use most often. Remember, fresh fruits and vegetables are loaded with nutrients and available year round.
Fresh produce can be costly so here are some tips to keep your produce fresh longer:
- Keep apples and other counter top produce fresh by keeping them out of direct sunlight and uncovered.
- For produce that needs to be refrigerated, keep it in perforated plastic bags in the produce drawer.
- While storing in the refrigerator, keep fruits and vegetables in different drawers. If together ethylene can build up and cause them to spoil.
Have you started transforming your diet?
What healthy foods have you incorporated into your diet so far?
Share your healthy recipes!
** Don't forget to update your food journal.
** Remember to fit in an extra 10 - 30 minutes of walking in addition to your daily cardio/workout.
One member who signs up for our Bikini Bootcamp Challenge and replies to 25 of the 30 daily activities will be chosen at random to WIN a $50 gift card!
Click here to sign up:
Join Me for the Bikini Bootcamp Challenge!! Win a $50 gift card and bonus prizes, too!