Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you meal plan?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 6 Replies
Im trying to eat healthy. I have tried this before but never gotten as far in my journey as i have now. The problem is the food. I cant figure out how and what to eat. Im constantly worried about the right portion sizes and tracking every crumb and its drivng me crazy but im afraid i will slip up and make a mistake. How do you meal plan or structure your eating?
by on May. 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aprilsalcro
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM
I make a dinner menu for seven days. Breakfast and lunch I eat the same couple things. During the week I eat at the same time everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raefmom
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:26 PM

What I did before was use the free website sparkpeople.com. I have seen others staying good things about myfitnesspal.com. With sparkpeople, I entered my information and it would give you a suggested menu for the week including a grocery list. The meals and snacks all fit within the needed calorie range. I would play around and adjust some of it to stuff I like to eat. I tend to like basic meals. 

The other thing I liked about the site is it also helped you set smaller health related goals. Once you reached those, it helped build confidence in achieving the bigger goals. And mistakes will happen. The main thing is to get back in the game and try again. Don't let a mistake or slip up, make you give up.

EiuGirl316
by Leah on May. 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I have a tendency to plan for 4 days a week myself. Friday is generally our dining out day. Weekends are hard to plan because we're always on the go or we eat at my parents house when we pick DS up from his sleepover. 

I love the site plan to eat but it costs a monthly fee. I have a tendency to use sites like skinnytaste, spark recipes, and even Pinterest for recipe ideas. I'm also nuts and baggy snacks so they're perfectly portioned for al, of us. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I started out looking at the meal plans in Clean Eating magazine (cleaneatingmag.com).  I subscribe to the magazine, but they have some plans on their website, too.  Lots of great recipes as well!

Now that my portions are a bit better (though I still have to keep myself in check), I don't have to weigh every single thing out anymore, though I do it periodically just to be sure.  I plan out every meal and snack for at least 7 days at a time.  I've kept all of my copies of Clean Eating magazine, and I'll go through there and through my other recipes to see what sounds good.  I also consider my ingredients that might work for more than one meal.  For example, I'll roast a chicken one night, then make chicken enchiladas with shredded leftover chicken another night.  Or I'll use a fresh bunch of parsley in a couple of different recipes.  I also plan out my snacks, and I've even put amounts just to be sure.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

cbhs_teacher
by on May. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I plan my meals by the grocery store ads. If chicken is on sale for a really great price, then I know we'll be using chicken for the week and I will think of healthy ideas that use chicken like chicken vegetable soup, grilled chicken on bbq, chicken ceasar salad, chicken fajhitas, etc...

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 6, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I plan for the week, on the weekend, I think about what I want to cook....based on my husband's schedule, the weather, kids activities and work schedule. I also look through the sales flyers but I always stock up so what we eat isn't necessarily based on what is on sale this week. I plan some of my snacks and maybe a meal around that but it is mainly what we base our weekly shopping on. I find when i plan dinners, I am much less tempted to eat out! 

Breakfast...almost always the same...whole grain toast with peanut butter and a fruit of some type (based on what was on sale)...mid morning snack is usually another piece of toast or osmetimes oatmeal.

Lunch...omlettes laoded with veggies or anything with a tortilla...usually chicken or steak cut up with peppers, onions etc (leftovers from a dinner at some point in the week).

Dinner...varied....casseroles or pasta with a ton of veggies....mashed potatoes with veggies and some type of meat....hamburgers, sausages etc now that it is nice enough to bbq, along with a salad or side of veggies.

I use myfitnesspal to track my calories and nutrients.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)