Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Q&A Giveaway: Ask the Expert and You Could Win!

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 72 Replies
3 moms liked this

CafeMom is happy to welcome Jennifer Graham, runner and author of Honey, Do You Need a Ride? Confessions of a FAT Runner, to the Healthy Weight Loss group. Jennifer will be joining us and taking your questions until May 10th.

Jennifer's book "is a hilarious memoir of what it's like to run with the gazelles when your shadow looks more like a walrus, and how running can get you through divorce, runaway donkeys, single motherhood and size 14 jeans that  won't zip."

Jennifer is a writer and editor currently working in the suburbs of Boston. Her essays have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, The Boston Globe Magazine, National Review  Online, Family Circle, Runners World, Equus and Parents Magazine as well as newspapers across the country.

She lives with her four children, two donkeys, two cats and a border collie.

The Giveaway Rules:

The Healthy Weight Loss Expert giveaway starts 5/6/13 at 9am (ET) and ends 5/10/2013 at 11pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period"). Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning. Thr winners will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries to receive a copy of Honey, Do You Need a Ride: Confessions of a Fat Runner.
The random drawing shall occur on or about 6/15/13. No Purchase Necessary. Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older. Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamababe1975
by New Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

So excited to have you here! I absolutely loved your book! My question is, what's your #1 advice to a fellow, uh, unskinny girl who'd like to make her shadow less walrus-like?

Reina13
by Reina on May. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Hi! Let me just be honest, I HATE to run. I mean I really really loathe running. Probably because I am not good at it. But I want to be. I WANT to be able to run with my family. I want to be able to do 5 and 10K's. Any advice for those of us whose inability to run is more of a mental block than anything else?

captainjack
by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I am going to look into this book looks good.  My question is when they tell you to weight lift and then when you weigh in a ww they say you gain and you haven't you lost inches but lifting weights as they say muscle weighs more than fat?

Damienswife
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Good Morning! I will read the book now that I know its out there.. my question is- I normally just do my cardio on my treadmill like a fast paced walk that could almost be a jog for half hour alomost every day. I often feel too tired to start running though. Do you have any suggestions to help me move from the fast walk/jog to actually running and not quickly getting out of breath? I would like to run on a daily basis.

jennifergraham
by on May. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  Go Tide!      Seeing as I've gained 10 pounds since I finished writing the book last spring, I may not be the best person to consult for weight-loss advice. That said, I certainly know lots about what does NOT work.  What does not work is eating whatever we like, whenever we like, even if we're exercising like fiends.   I am living proof that exercise in itself will not make you skinny. There have been weeks when I've run 20 miles and still gained weight, and it was not muscle!  One thing that running does do is help change our cravings from the horrible-for-you stuff to the not-as-horrible for you stuff to (eventually) the good-for-you stuff.  As my hero George Sheehan was fond of saying, the running body knows what it needs. Let it tell you. If you're not losing weight, you're not listening to it, or willfully ignoring it. (That would be me.)  When I am serious about losing weight, which is not a lot of the time, but when I am, this is what works for me:    Imagine your appetite like a gas tank, scale of 1-10.    1 is starving to death, 10 is after-Thanksgiving-dinner full, 5 is just sated, but barely.    Never eat to more than a 5.   A consistent 5 or less will result in weight loss;  a consistent 8 is a plateau,  consistent 9 or 10, you wake up one day and realize you've gained 10 pounds!  Also, I find that unless my stomach growls at least three times a day, I am not losing any weight.  The growlier our stomachs, the better.

Quoting bamababe1975:

So excited to have you here! I absolutely loved your book! My question is, what's your #1 advice to a fellow, uh, unskinny girl who'd like to make her shadow less walrus-like?

jennifergraham
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quoting Reina13:

Hi! Let me just be honest, I HATE to run. I mean I really really loathe running. Probably because I am not good at it. But I want to be. I WANT to be able to run with my family. I want to be able to do 5 and 10K's. Any advice for those of us whose inability to run is more of a mental block than anything else?

Hey there ..  this is a really tough question, because every now and then, I do come across people who say they run regularly but hate it, and I don't want to be the person who tells people to do things they hate. Life's too short. And if there's another sport that makes your heart sing and makes you fit, by all means, forget about running and go do that.  But, as you point out, that means you can't do races, which are one of the most fun things you do that don't involve ice cream.  And if you family runs, yeah, we gotta get you in on the action! It sounds like you may be trying to do too much too soon.... either going too long, or going too fast. If you're tired, bored and uncomfortable, you won't keep doing it.  Also, never underestimate the power of an iPod.  I know the purists say not to do it, but there are days, even now, that music is the only thing that gets me out the door.  Also, have you experimented with where you run?  Some days, running on a regular old road just slays me....  I can't stand people looking at me, can't stand the scenery, too much road rage at people who don't know how to drive!  If you haven't yet, try a quiet trail at a local park, or a bicycle path where everybody else is sweaty and happy and there's a spirit of camraderie. Some people love high-school tracks ... soft, forgiving surface, and after hours, usually a good mix of speeds and body types.  Finally, have you actually done a 5K yet?  If not, go ahead and register for one ... and if you have to, walk all you need ... lots of people do.  That may be all you need to get hooked! 

jennifergraham
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting captainjack:

I am going to look into this book looks good.  My question is when they tell you to weight lift and then when you weigh in a ww they say you gain and you haven't you lost inches but lifting weights as they say muscle weighs more than fat?

That's true, about muscle weighing more than fat, but for it to register on a scale, you've got to gain a LOT of muscle ......  more than you are likely to have put on in a week.  Probably even in a month.  So usually, as much as we would love to blame weight gain on our awesome calves and biceps, we can't.   Not honestly, anyway!

GoldenLinds
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM
I have always wanted to be a runner. And a dedicated one at that. But injury prevention as a ballet dancer also included avoiding running. Its been years since I danced and I'm ready to run.... BUT I can't seem to manage it as a single mom. My son is 2 and I can't get motivated when it takes an hour just to get ready for a 20 minute run. He is fine in the stroller but I can never find a comfortable pace wgile pushing and I have nobody to watch him for that quick jaunt. What am I going to do?
jennifergraham
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Hi there!  I bet you're really already running already ...  I know people who are regular "runners" who would be passed by people doing a fast walk.  (In fact,  at the end of some half-marathons, I've been passed "running" by walkers!)  So you're probably already there.  If you are able to take it outside, that's my No. 1 advice to you, and take it slow and short at the beginning.  Run to your mailbox and back, if that's all you can do.  Then, the next day, run to your mailbox, plus 10 more steps and back.  The next day, 20 more steps. And so forth. Being out of breath is not a problem. It's feels uncomfortable, yes, but it won't hurt you.  And most people are out breath at the beginning of a run .... it's only as you get more experienced that this will subside.  I think what is most important is not how you feel WHILE you are running, but how you feel AFTER IT'S OVER!  And ironically, the more out-of-breath you are during a workout, the more likely you're going to feel really good and clean and peaceful inside when you're done.

Quoting Damienswife:

Good Morning! I will read the book now that I know its out there.. my question is- I normally just do my cardio on my treadmill like a fast paced walk that could almost be a jog for half hour alomost every day. I often feel too tired to start running though. Do you have any suggestions to help me move from the fast walk/jog to actually running and not quickly getting out of breath? I would like to run on a daily basis.

jennifergraham
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Two words: Baby Jogger.   Have you tried one? An actually stroller made for running, not just a regular stroller? This is a must.  They're crazy expensive, but you can find one on Craiglist or at a thrift store for cheap. Then, keep using it until you do get comfortable with it ... it will come.  When my kids were little, I actually got dependent on the stroller --- hid my thighs! --- and felt weird when I finally started running on my own again!  Please keep trying. YOU NEED THIS. It will keep you sane, and give you happiness and peace.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

I have always wanted to be a runner. And a dedicated one at that. But injury prevention as a ballet dancer also included avoiding running. Its been years since I danced and I'm ready to run.... BUT I can't seem to manage it as a single mom. My son is 2 and I can't get motivated when it takes an hour just to get ready for a 20 minute run. He is fine in the stroller but I can never find a comfortable pace wgile pushing and I have nobody to watch him for that quick jaunt. What am I going to do?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)