Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Waking up hungry...

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM
  • 26 Replies

How do you "get around" waking up hungry during the middle of the night?  At least two nights a week I will wake up and feel absolutely famished.  I usually get up and have a little snack - last night was a serving size of Salt and Vinegar Almonds.  At least I didn't dig into the ice cream in the freezer, etc...

I am worried this middle of the night snacking is going to sabotage my weight loss.... Do you have this issue?  How do you deal with it?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silvertears1275
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM

When do you stop eating the previous day?  Maybe if you have a small snack closer to bedtime, it would prevent you from waking up in the middle of the night hungry.  It would be easier to plan and account for. 

itsm3
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM

have a small snack before bed; something light with protein. sometimes i'll have half a piece of whole grain bread with some natural peanut butter.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I am going to have to track it - but I think that is part of the problem... I have a small snack most nights before I go to bed, but they don't always have protein in them.  Prime example - I had enough calories left over yesterday I decided to "treat myself" with a small bowl of ice cream last night... and I woke up hungry at about 2:30 this AM.  I will have to see if I have something with protein before bed if that helps me not wake up hungry.

Quoting itsm3:

have a small snack before bed; something light with protein. sometimes i'll have half a piece of whole grain bread with some natural peanut butter.

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM
If you had enough calories left for ice cream than you're probably not eating enough. And probably not eating enough foods that are filling like protein and fiber.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I am going to have to track it - but I think that is part of the problem... I have a small snack most nights before I go to bed, but they don't always have protein in them.  Prime example - I had enough calories left over yesterday I decided to "treat myself" with a small bowl of ice cream last night... and I woke up hungry at about 2:30 this AM.  I will have to see if I have something with protein before bed if that helps me not wake up hungry.

Quoting itsm3:

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Can I post for you what I ate yesterday to get your opinion?  I use myfitnesspal and can just copy and paste my diary from yesterday....

Quoting MamaJessx3:

If you had enough calories left for ice cream than you're probably not eating enough. And probably not eating enough foods that are filling like protein and fiber.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Quoting itsm3:

itsm3
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM

that was the sugar talking.  try it with protein....keeps you full longer.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Quoting itsm3:

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Absolutely! There's some other ladies here that can also give their opinions (that are more knowledgable than me) but I can take a look :)

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Can I post for you what I ate yesterday to get your opinion?  I use myfitnesspal and can just copy and paste my diary from yesterday....

Quoting MamaJessx3:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Quoting itsm3:

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Definitely post your days food, I always have a bedtime snack. I can't go to sleep hungry and it would be awful if I woke up hungry. I need my sleep or I end up with a migrane which leads to food and sugar cravings....

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Food Journal Post....

Monday May 6, 2013

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Strawberry Banana Green Smoothie, 1 serving(s) 291 60 5 6 Ico_delete
Add Food 291 60 5 6
Lunch
Great Value - Sweetened Coconut Flakes, 15 g (2 tbsp) 70 8 4 1 Ico_delete
Yocrunch - Yopa! Authentic Greek Nonfat Yogurt - Vanilla With Toasted Almonds, 5.3 oz 200 18 8 15 Ico_delete
Great Value Powdered Drink Mix Strawberry and Watermelon - Drink Mix, 1 1/2 packet 15 0 0 0 Ico_delete
TOTAL
285 26 12 16
Dinner
Sausage Vegetable Saute, 1 serving 231 8 16 16 Ico_delete
Broccoli White Rice, 0.5 serving(s) 73 12 2 1 Ico_delete
4c Totally Light Tea 2 Go - Sugar Free Red Tea Peach Antioxidant, 3 packet 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
TOTAL
304 20 18 17
Snacks
Salada - Pomegranate Berry Green Tea, 1 tea bag 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
Agave Nectar - Madhava , 2 Tbsp 120 32 0 0 Ico_delete
Blue Diamond - Salt 'n Vinegar Almonds - Corrected, 14 nuts 85 3 8 3 Ico_delete
4c - Sugar Free Totally Light Tea2go Green Tea Antioxidant, 2 packet 0 0 0 0 Ico_delete
Hood - Bear Creek Caramel Ice Cream, 1 cup (66g) 320 42 14 4 Ico_delete
TOTAL
525 77 22 7

Totals 1,405 183 57 46
Your Daily Goal 1,427 196 47 53
Remaining 22 13 -10 7

Calories Carbs Fat Protein
*You've earned 227 extra calories from exercise today.

Idntreallycare
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I would drink a glass of water and go back to bed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)