Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do you "get around" waking up hungry during the middle of the night?  At least two nights a week I will wake up and feel absolutely famished.  I usually get up and have a little snack - last night was a serving size of Salt and Vinegar Almonds.  At least I didn't dig into the ice cream in the freezer, etc...

I am worried this middle of the night snacking is going to sabotage my weight loss.... Do you have this issue?  How do you deal with it?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Replies (21-26):
MissSammie
by on May. 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

How do you "get around" waking up hungry during the middle of the night?  At least two nights a week I will wake up and feel absolutely famished.  I usually get up and have a little snack - last night was a serving size of Salt and Vinegar Almonds.  At least I didn't dig into the ice cream in the freezer, etc...

I am worried this middle of the night snacking is going to sabotage my weight loss.... Do you have this issue?  How do you deal with it?

This happens to me too!  Sometimes I "treat" myself when I have some calories to spare or if I worked out extra-long that day, and my stomach is gurgling all night- so hungry!  But some of the other posters were on to something I think that the sugar treat we had as our last snack before bed is making us hungry..  I found this article http://healthdivas.blogspot.com/2012/12/will-low-gi-meal-make-you-feel-full.html  that talks about how sugary foods make us feel hungrier- we can take some tips from there!  Hopefully we'll be able to sleep all nite without the rumbly tummies :)  

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Be aware that you cannot spot-lose fat.  You'll get more balanced and burn more calories by strength training your whole body.

It would be best to eat within an hour of when you get up, even if you're not hungry.  It'll get your metabolism going for the day (break the fast of when you're asleep).  You might try eating on a schedule, even if you're not hungry.  It can really help with that night hunger.

For your walk/runs, have you thought about shorter walks and more runs?  10 minute walk breaks are really long if you're trying to work toward running.  I'm not sure what your goal is, but you can burn more by running.

There's a pasta called Barilla Plus you might want to try.  It's not cardboard-y like whole wheat, but it's less starchy than traditional semolina.  Even my picky hubby likes it.  It's made with flax and some other stuff, so it's healthier than semolina.  You can also eat a smaller portion and be more satisfied with it.

LOL on the honey roasted nuts- yeah, those would be good to keep away!  I love that stuff, too.  But I really stay away.  Except I do occasionally splurge on the fresh-ground honey-roasted peanut butter at Whole Foods.  Boy that stuff is tasty!  I could eat the whole tub!  LOL

Ug, trying to find the right antidepressants is not a fun process.  I'm a nursing student, so I've learned some about that (plus my own personal experience).  You might find that cleaning up your diet and exercising helps your moods- I know it does for me.

That's great that your hubby likes salads!  I wish mine did.  He says he does, but then when I make them, he never eats it.

The bread sounds good, just take a look at the whole label and nutrition info to keep an eye on how much of everything is in it.

The yogurt parfaits sounds good, too!  Frozen fruit and veggies are great for a lot of things.  Just stay away from canned.  Frozen can actually be better than fresh, because it enables you to use things throughout the year, they're usually picked ripe (which cannot be said of most fresh produce), which means they have more vitamins, and they're just plain easier sometimes.  They also don't usually spoil.  They don't work for everything, but they do work for a lot.  I really try to stay away from adding sugar, but you can always add a little and try to keep slowly reducing how much you use.  I do maple syrup just because it's less processed (and considered clean).  It's also sweeter gram for gram, so you can use less.

Not TMI at all!  Like I said, I'm a nursing student, and I'm a former Navy corpsman.  There's little that's TMI for me!

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I am going to delete out most of my original answers and do my best to answer/address your additional questions/comments....

Quoting musicpisces:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

BMR: 1493

1493 x 1.55 = 2314

2314 - 500 = 1814

To lose 1-2 lbs per week, consume 1493-1814 calories per day.  Don't add back in your exercise calories, as they've already been factored in here.

Be sure to do strength moves for your whole body, not just your legs! 

I think I tend to focus on my lower body because that is I see my "problem areas" being - AKA the baby belly that will never go away, and the excess bulges around the hips... I will have to do some research and look up some upper body strength moves. When I do my stretching I do incorporate whole body...

Do you eat breakfast when you get up, or wait?  It's important to eat within an hour of waking, if you don't already.  When do you exercise?  How intensely?

I do not eat breakfast when I first get up unless I feel hungry.  I typically start my day with a travel coffee mug of tea (CafeMom none the less that I won...).  I get up around 6, and usually have a green smoothie made that I am drinking by around 7:30.  Then I do a mid-morning snack of a piece of fruit if I am hungry at that point.

I exercise in the evenings now that is nicer and I am able to get outside.  I try to have most of my housework done before sitting down for dinner @5:45 so I can be out the door around 6:30 and be home by 7:45.  The intensity and duration depends on if my DD (7) is with me or not.  If she is with me we are usually gone about 45 minutes and the walk is more of a moderate pace... if she stays home I am usually gone about 60 minutes and it is a brisk paced walk for 2 songs and jogging for 1 song - back and forth...

I try to be done with exercising by 7:45 then I am getting DD to bed, a little housework, taking my meds (anti-convulsants and Melatonin - again Dr. prescribed instead of a prescription sleep aid) about 8:30 and down time by 9 pm to have lights out at 10:00.

You can also use brown rice for Asian dishes (my Japanese husband hates when I do that, but I do it anyway!  LOL).

My hubby is the same way about whole wheat pasta... I typically do a 1/2 and 1/2 mix on that when we eat pasta, which is not very often.... :)

Keep trying different ways to drink water. You can add strawberries and mint, cucumbers, lemon, etc.  But try to stay away from adding sweeteners.  At first, it may be hard, but it will get easier.  Agave is actually even more processed than sugar.  I use sucanat/evaporated cane juice for some things, but I've really weaned myself off of most sweetened things.  It gets easier the more you do it.  You can also try decaffeinated iced tea that's not sweetened.  Yes, it's best to get the water in, but all of those calories and artificial sweeteners are really hard on your body.  Your diet should be no more than 10% sugars.  You can track them on MFP.

Here's a reliable source about "the truth about agave".

I will give it a shot -- I saw something come through FB a while ago that all these different fruit infused waters that I even posted to my own timeline so I could reference it later -- do you think I can find the stinkin' thing now??

Yes, dry roasted would be much better.  The only ingredients should be almonds and perhaps a little sea salt, but I prefer them without the salt (plus, of course, sodium in your diet adds up quickly!).

So I suppose the 2 small cans of honey roasterd almonds should probably find their way into my DH's lunch tomorrow for him to keep at work?? ;)

Fish oil and vitamin D are AWESOME!!  I take those supplements as well.  SOOOO many health benefits!  I'm glad your doc is all about that!

Both of those she gave me because I suffer from depression, but had to cut back on my anti-depressant as it caused me to have a gran mal seizure even while on anti-convulsants....  So, we are trying to find a way to "supplement" my mood enhancers to keep my mood swings and irritability in check.

Dietary fiber is much better for you than a supplement.  By adding in more veggies, you can rea

My DH just told me that actually enjoys salads - so with summer coming, I am going to start having them at least a couple nights for supper.  Last night I made a Berry Chicken Salad with Mixed Green, Roasted Almonds, fresh strawberries and blueberries, shaved Parmesan, and grilled chicken w/ a strawberry balsamic dressing.

I just checked the 2 breads I have in my fridge now - Arnold Whole Grain Oat Nut - says first ingredient is Whole White Wheat Flour... which is what I am primarily giving to DH for his toast in the morning.  And then for myself for my sandwiches I I have Arnold Honey Wheat SandwichThins - first ingredient Whole Wheat Flour.

Keep an eye on the sugars in flavored yogurts, even Greek.  I generally buy it plain (low fat, not nonfat, when possible) and add my own stuff to it.  I usually sweeten it a bit with 100% maple syrup, and use just a tiny bit, then add berries to that.  Watch the ingredients on the granola as well- another big source of added sugars and sodium.  They really are EVERYWHERE.  It sucks!

I have done that in the past - making my own "prafaits" if you will, but just got away from it.  I only have 2 more of the "prepackaged" parfaits to finish, and will start that back up again.  Is it better to use fresh or frozen berries or does it not matter?  What about sweetening the fruit with a little sugar (think strawberry shortcake) instead of doing the maple syrup in the yogurt?

I hope I didn't just SLAM you with all that!  LOL  But I hope it gives you some ideas that can work for you.  Sugar and salt are in SO many foods that we don't think about- take a look at bread or tortilla labels- I didn't realize for a long time how much sodium is in them! 

Not at all - I am finding as I get older I am having more trouble losing those pain in the butt lbs that seem to creep on every now and then.  I hope I didn't give you TMI in my responses, but figured better to get it all out in the open in case anything else I have typed would make a difference on the info you originally gave....

Quoting musicpisces:

First of all, are you basing your calories on the 1200 that MFP loves to set people at?  That's often too few calories to fuel you, even factoring in exercise calories.  If you'd like, we can calculate your BMR to give you a proper calorie range.  We will need your height, weight, age, how often you work out, and whether you're breastfeeding.

Next, I see a lot of processed foods.  White rice, drink mixes, ice cream, agave nectar (which is actually really not good for you, especially 2 TBSP worth), salt and vinegar almonds.  I'd ditch the artificially sweetened drinks and focus on unsweetened tea and water.  I love black iced tea (looks like you're a green tea girl!).  Try it without the sweeteners.  Your body releases insulin when it senses something sweet, and when there's no sugar to meet that insulin, you can crave sugar and get hungry.

I would suggest getting more high fiber options in during your meals and not saving 300+ calories for ice cream (I realize this is probI am ably just one day, but most people's patterns are similar from day to day).  Considering 300 calories is a meal for you, one little cup of ice cream that doesn't leave you full isn't going to be nearly as satisfying as something a little healthier.  What about some berries and some plain Greek yogurt for dessert instead?  That would give you some fiber, protein, calcium, vitamins...  Maybe top it with some chopped raw or oven roasted almonds.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MzShorty787
by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Special K cereal
MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Sleeping all night with out the runbly tummies is one thing... getting my kiddos to sleep all night so I can sleep all night is a while 'nother subject!

do not disturb

Quoting MissSammie:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

This happens to me too!  Sometimes I "treat" myself when I have some calories to spare or if I worked out extra-long that day, and my stomach is gurgling all night- so hungry!  But some of the other posters were on to something I think that the sugar treat we had as our last snack before bed is making us hungry..  I found this article http://healthdivas.blogspot.com/2012/12/will-low-gi-meal-make-you-feel-full.html  that talks about how sugary foods make us feel hungrier- we can take some tips from there!  Hopefully we'll be able to sleep all nite without the rumbly tummies :)  

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Quoting musicpisces:

Be aware that you cannot spot-lose fat.  You'll get more balanced and burn more calories by strength training your whole body.

Will start tomorrow... my walk tonight is kicking my butt (litereally and figuretively)!  I think the biggest thing is I really don't know where to start... it is times like this I wish I had a membership to the local Y and the $$ to invest in a personal trainer to help me set up a weight room routine....

It would be best to eat within an hour of when you get up, even if you're not hungry.  It'll get your metabolism going for the day (break the fast of when you're asleep).  You might try eating on a schedule, even if you're not hungry.  It can really help with that night hunger.

For your walk/runs, have you thought about shorter walks and more runs?  10 minute walk breaks are really long if you're trying to work toward running.  I'm not sure what your goal is, but you can burn more by running.

Tonight I did a 4-mile walk - decided to take the night off from running and I still managed to get that 4 miles done in a little less than an hour.  I'm nor sure what my goal is either - other than to get in shape and feel better about myself.  I have thought about maybe trying a 5K later this summer or in the fall.  But, haven't completely talked myself into that yet....

There's a pasta called Barilla Plus you might want to try.  It's not cardboard-y like whole wheat, but it's less starchy than traditional semolina.  Even my picky hubby likes it.  It's made with flax and some other stuff, so it's healthier than semolina.  You can also eat a smaller portion and be more satisfied with it.

I think we have tried that before as well.... and you are right, definitely not as cardboardy.  I try to coupon shop and this week I had coupons for the Natural Harvest Wheat Pasta, so that is what we have - and I made sure to pick up a box of regular thin spaghetti to do the 1/2 and 1/2.

LOL on the honey roasted nuts- yeah, those would be good to keep away!  I love that stuff, too.  But I really stay away.  Except I do occasionally splurge on the fresh-ground honey-roasted peanut butter at Whole Foods.  Boy that stuff is tasty!  I could eat the whole tub!  LOL

AWW MAN!  Take away all my fun... :)

Ug, trying to find the right antidepressants is not a fun process.  I'm a nursing student, so I've learned some about that (plus my own personal experience).  You might find that cleaning up your diet and exercising helps your moods- I know it does for me.

I was on Wellbutrin for almost 10 years until they decided it may have been tied into the "seizure disorder" I developed about 2 1/2 years ago.  So, after my first round of gran mals (a little over a year ago) they took me off it cold turkey and I was off anti-depressants all together for the spring and summer.  I really didn't have any seizure activity during that time, got back my driver's license and was ready to go... Started me on the new depressant - 1/2 a pill once a day for 2 weeks and then upped to a full pill once a day - within 5 days of the med change, I had another gran mal.  So they cut me back to 1/2 a pill once a day and upped my anti-convulsant.

That's great that your hubby likes salads!  I wish mine did.  He says he does, but then when I make them, he never eats it.

The bread sounds good, just take a look at the whole label and nutrition info to keep an eye on how much of everything is in it.

The yogurt parfaits sounds good, too!  Frozen fruit and veggies are great for a lot of things.  Just stay away from canned.  Frozen can actually be better than fresh, because it enables you to use things throughout the year, they're usually picked ripe (which cannot be said of most fresh produce), which means they have more vitamins, and they're just plain easier sometimes.  They also don't usually spoil.  They don't work for everything, but they do work for a lot.  I really try to stay away from adding sugar, but you can always add a little and try to keep slowly reducing how much you use.  I do maple syrup just because it's less processed (and considered clean).  It's also sweeter gram for gram, so you can use less.

Will do! I don't think I used sugar when I use to make my own, but I also think I may have used like a Vanilla flavored regular yogurt - not Greek.

Not TMI at all!  Like I said, I'm a nursing student, and I'm a former Navy corpsman.  There's little that's TMI for me!

Thanks for all the tips and help -- I will get there eventually.  It really is a lifestyle change and I need to remember that when I don't see the automatic results not to get too frustrated with myself - which is easier to do when using the Wii Fit and they have you do a daily body test.  I think I am going to stay away from that for now and stick to my exercising outside while the weather is good!

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 9, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Sparkpeople.com has some great exercise demos that can give you some ideas for other moves.  Click around for different body areas.  The goal is to get all of your muscle groups, so be sure to get in something that targets your back, something for your chest, something for your shoulders, etc.  Push ups and planks are both great all over moves.  Same goes for burpees.  Even better if you can incorporate push ups with burpees!

It might be a good idea to set some fitness goals for yourself.  I think a 5k would be a great idea!  Sign yourself up for one that's a couple of months out, and work toward it!  It's okay to have to walk parts of it, too- no one will be judging you!  Have you ever heard of Couch to 5K?  Push ups and other moves are great for goal setting, too.  You can always set a goal of being able to do 10 "boy" push ups, or holding a plank for a minute or whatever.  Goals can really help give you something to shoot for!

I hope the new meds work out well for you.  I know seizures are scary (my FIL has them, too, because of a spinal injury), and the loss of control when you can't drive SUCKS.

I agree it sucks not seeing results right away.  It's hard to stay motivated!  But that's where those fitness goals can be helpful, too.  Plus, when you're eating right, it helps your workouts, and vice versa.  Like you said, it really is all about making a lifestyle change.  Results are only as permanent as the methods by which you achieve them, you know?   You seem like you're in the right place, mentally, to get this done!  You have it within you!  =)

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Quoting musicpisces:

Will start tomorrow... my walk tonight is kicking my butt (litereally and figuretively)!  I think the biggest thing is I really don't know where to start... it is times like this I wish I had a membership to the local Y and the $$ to invest in a personal trainer to help me set up a weight room routine....

Tonight I did a 4-mile walk - decided to take the night off from running and I still managed to get that 4 miles done in a little less than an hour.  I'm nor sure what my goal is either - other than to get in shape and feel better about myself.  I have thought about maybe trying a 5K later this summer or in the fall.  But, haven't completely talked myself into that yet....

I think we have tried that before as well.... and you are right, definitely not as cardboardy.  I try to coupon shop and this week I had coupons for the Natural Harvest Wheat Pasta, so that is what we have - and I made sure to pick up a box of regular thin spaghetti to do the 1/2 and 1/2.

AWW MAN!  Take away all my fun... :)

I was on Wellbutrin for almost 10 years until they decided it may have been tied into the "seizure disorder" I developed about 2 1/2 years ago.  So, after my first round of gran mals (a little over a year ago) they took me off it cold turkey and I was off anti-depressants all together for the spring and summer.  I really didn't have any seizure activity during that time, got back my driver's license and was ready to go... Started me on the new depressant - 1/2 a pill once a day for 2 weeks and then upped to a full pill once a day - within 5 days of the med change, I had another gran mal.  So they cut me back to 1/2 a pill once a day and upped my anti-convulsant.

Will do! I don't think I used sugar when I use to make my own, but I also think I may have used like a Vanilla flavored regular yogurt - not Greek.

Thanks for all the tips and help -- I will get there eventually.  It really is a lifestyle change and I need to remember that when I don't see the automatic results not to get too frustrated with myself - which is easier to do when using the Wii Fit and they have you do a daily body test.  I think I am going to stay away from that for now and stick to my exercising outside while the weather is good!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)