Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

How do I track this?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
  • 5 Replies

So today is payday and I plan on buying a pedometer sometime this week :) I was wondering though.  track my calories on MFP but I have no way of tracking how much I walk considering that my overnight job consists of walking back and forth for about 7 hours a night and then my day job I just sit all day.

When tracking exercise how can I log the walking? Also what are good exercises to do sitting in my chair from home? Also, I notice alot of people talking about measuring themselves. Where did you get your measuring tape and where, when and how do you measure yourself? Thanks

by on May. 8, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

You ought to look into a Fitbit.  It connects with MFP, which makes it really easy.  I don't log anything that's from walking around at work, personally, especially if you're sedentary at your other job.  In your chair, you can contract you abs, do tricep dips, do bicep curls, lateral raises, and I've done squats, lunges and incline push ups at my desk before.

You can get a measuring tape at a fabric store.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Silvertears1275
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I have a Fitbit and it figures it all up for me.  But before that I would only log "intentional exercise"... if I were out all day walking due to my job or shopping, it's kind of just a bonus =) 

I have tons of measuring tapes because I sew, so the only place I've ever picked up a measuring tape is in the craft department =)  I measure my arm, bust, chest, waist, hips, thigh, and calf once a month.  I think some people measure more often, but measurements frustrate me more than the scale ever could, so I keep it to a minimum so I'm sure to see a difference somewhere! 

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I don't log my general walking, only anything I actually do as exercise. That said, I do have a pedometer though that I sometimes use when i go for a walk to loosely track how far I have gone, if I haven't driven my walk area to know how far it is.

As for measuring yourself, I find it difficult to do myself and so therefore don't do it very often. I would recommend it though if you have someone help you and do it once a month. Just be careful to use the same place and same clothes or bare skin for best results. Sometimes, the scale isn't working in our favor but measurements can be more accurate and a better guage of how we are doing.

SexyDiva19
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2013 at 1:50 AM
How exactly do you measure yourself? Like where and how? Like when measuring your stomach do you start at your bellybutton if so do you suck your stomach in?

Quoting Silvertears1275:

I have a Fitbit and it figures it all up for me.  But before that I would only log "intentional exercise"... if I were out all day walking due to my job or shopping, it's kind of just a bonus =) 

I have tons of measuring tapes because I sew, so the only place I've ever picked up a measuring tape is in the craft department =)  I measure my arm, bust, chest, waist, hips, thigh, and calf once a month.  I think some people measure more often, but measurements frustrate me more than the scale ever could, so I keep it to a minimum so I'm sure to see a difference somewhere! 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 10, 2013 at 2:11 AM

You shouldn't suck it in when you measure.  That's way too subjective.  Keep your stomach relaxed.  I usually measure at the smallest point around the waist, and the widest part of the hips.  For bust, your should measure the widest point.  Calves, same way if you measure them.  For your thighs and upper arms, measure a point from a fixed point (say, 6 inches above the knee). 

Quoting SexyDiva19:

How exactly do you measure yourself? Like where and how? Like when measuring your stomach do you start at your bellybutton if so do you suck your stomach in?

Quoting Silvertears1275:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN