Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You would think people would be supportive

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

I posted on Facebook that I was starting my diet today and that I wanted to loose about 44 pounds. I just got back on and had two people telling me that I am not fat and that I should not diet. It seems like people would be more supportive of me wanting to be a healthier weight. Just because I am not obese doesn't mean that I am not overwieght. What is funny about the first reply is that she says that if I weighed 145 I could say that I am fat. NEWSFLASH I weigh 149.7 so I think I weigh more than 145. 

• Starting my diet today. I have got to get the extra 44 pounds off. I am tired of being fat and I can't wait to get back to my size 0 pants.
    •  Ok if you wore size 0 and you gained 49 lbs then you needed that weight there is no way you can be fat when you in size 12 and weight 145 then you can say fat Stop your diet not needed
      3 hours ago via mobile · Like · 1
    • I agree  You ARE NOT fat Janet... You seriously looked sick when you were that skinny...Now you look healthy.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
smalltownmom03
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Please tell me how this isn't fat. I look like a beached whale. lol.

bekalynne440
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
They may say that for one of two reasons.
1. Our society doesn't have an accurate idea of what healthy weights are or look like. So often I'll hear people say "I'm/they're not overweight" yet the person in question is borderline obese.
2. If you are losing weight (especially if you are smaller than they are) they may be reminded about the weight they want to lose but don't put the effort towards losing.
kbix82
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM

nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy, some people get super jelous when you get motivated. don't worrie about them, focus on the task at hand. and good luck :)

cnlsmommy
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Agree exactly. And I'm guessing you are overweight by BMI, but you definitely don't look like a "beached whale" by any means! Lol!! Congrats on wanting to get healthy though! Also, ftr, typically I don't think size 0 is a healthy look either. Some people can pull it off, but not many IMO! (Maybe you are one of the few?)

Quoting bekalynne440:

1. Our society doesn't have an accurate idea of what healthy weights are or look like. So often I'll hear people say "I'm/they're not overweight" yet the person in question is borderline obese.

2. If you are losing weight (especially if you are smaller than they are) they may be reminded about the weight they want to lose but don't put the effort towards losing.

Noni2319
by Chrissy on May. 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Try not to let them get to you. They are most likely jealous.
Silvertears1275
by on May. 8, 2013 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I think sometimes people are afraid of being supportive, thinking that by being supportive that they're calling you fat.  Just tell people you're committed to being healthier and maybe that will open up people to being more supportive.  Maybe.... there are always going to be jerks.  Don't let it discourage you, if anything let it fuel your fire =)  Good luck!

smalltownmom03
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Quoting bekalynne440:

That's true. It just kinda aggravated me that they would say that I don't need to loose any weight when I clearly do. I called my mom after I posted this because I knew she would be supportive and she brought up the fact that society views dieting in an unhealthy way. When people think of dieting they don't think of just eating healthier and becoming more active, they think of the fad diets and diet pills. 

smalltownmom03
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Quoting kbix82:

nothing wrong with wanting to be healthy, some people get super jelous when you get motivated. don't worrie about them, focus on the task at hand. and good luck :)

I am totally focused and they will not sway me. I want to be healthy again. 

smalltownmom03
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I know I don't really look like a beached whale but that is how I feel. Up until a few years ago I have always been very small. When I started gaining weight the pounds just kept pilling on. This is me when I was in a 0.  I have always been small. At that time I couldn't gain weight if I wanted to. I just want to be my normal size again so I dont feel so fat.  

Quoting cnlsmommy:

Agree exactly. And I'm guessing you are overweight by BMI, but you definitely don't look like a "beached whale" by any means! Lol!! Congrats on wanting to get healthy though! Also, ftr, typically I don't think size 0 is a healthy look either. Some people can pull it off, but not many IMO! (Maybe you are one of the few?)

Quoting bekalynne440:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)