Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Why am I shrinking from the sides!?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am working on losing over a hundred pounds.  I have noticed that as I lose weight, I am looking smaller from the sides but not from the front.  I hope that makes sense.  Like if I look at myself in the mirror my hips and sides look like they have shrunk but I still have the same big stomach. I am more narrow lol.   I wish I would shrink evenly lol.  I really want to lose my stomach.  Anyone else have this problem? 

by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom23heathens
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I think I know what you mean. I look in the mirror at my whole profile and I look pretty good but then I turn and look in the mirror full front and my pelvic area looks like a box. The part of me that's in my granny panties. I have heard that belly fat is the hardest to lose but mine seems to be coming along slowly. I just wish I could loose the hips and thighs and calves.

mandaboo99
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Thats how its going to happen :) your journey will be about 70% food intake 30% exercise. What are you doing for exercise?? you will eventually lose your stomach :D

manamott
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I feel your pain lol. From the front, I can't tell I've lost anything. I've lost 20lbs and I can totally tell from the side but I still look fat from the front. I only have 5 more pounds to my goal so its really discouraging.
abc799
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

For exercise I do a variety of things.  I use Leslie Sansone dvd's, I started turbojam about 2 weeks ago.  I also sometimes do step aerobics.  I go walking, and carry weights while on my walks.  I try to keep a variety to prevent me from getting bored and stopping.  I think that part of my problem is that I am getting frustrated because my weight loss has slowed down.  I am still losing, but just not as fast as I was in the beginning.  But I have always heard that it goes quicker at first.  I am just getting impatient I guess lol.

Quoting mandaboo99:

Thats how its going to happen :) your journey will be about 70% food intake 30% exercise. What are you doing for exercise?? you will eventually lose your stomach :D

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:54 PM

yup

Silvertears1275
by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I guess with me, it was kind of the opposite.  I had someone at work tell me a few weeks ago that they could really tell looking at me straight on that I had lost weight.... before it was more obvious looking at me profile-wise (probably because my boobs are shrinking!).  It will come, give it some time =)

KimTaylor76
by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I have this exact problem, i lose from the waist, face, and hips first but my stomach takes more time. The way i see it, if you keep doin what youre doin to lose weight then eventually your body will have no choice but to lose that too lol
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM

This is frustratingly true- weight loss does slow as you get further along.  Try to be patient, though, and stick with what's working.  How is your eating?  What and how you eat is the biggest factor.  It'll make a difference in your stomach as well.  I can relate to what you're saying about losing from the sides, though- it took a long time for my stomach to finally not stick out as much as my boobs (I've lost over 100 myself).  It'll happen, mama!!

Quoting abc799:

For exercise I do a variety of things.  I use Leslie Sansone dvd's, I started turbojam about 2 weeks ago.  I also sometimes do step aerobics.  I go walking, and carry weights while on my walks.  I try to keep a variety to prevent me from getting bored and stopping.  I think that part of my problem is that I am getting frustrated because my weight loss has slowed down.  I am still losing, but just not as fast as I was in the beginning.  But I have always heard that it goes quicker at first.  I am just getting impatient I guess lol.

Quoting mandaboo99:

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mandaboo99
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I know the feeling :) now is the time to start taking measurements and stop watching the scale. It will happen, be careful not to overwork yourself in the process. mgs me any time :)

Quoting abc799:

Quoting mandaboo99:

darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Keep going mama!  We all lose weight in different places:)  Hugs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN