Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advice and support

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM
  • 6 Replies
So I really want to lose weight but I just don't know where to start. It seems like I'll be doing fine exercising and eating healthy then one day I just slip and don't even realize it. Then I'm back to square one. I need and want to stay motivated. plz anyone HELP!
by on May. 11, 2013 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this
When you've tried to eat healthy in the past, what has that looked like? Do you try to do a total dietary makeover, or have you tried implementing a few smaller changes a time? Sometimes when we don't go crashing into major changes, it can be easier and less overwhelming. Do you get hungry? Are you cutting back too much on your food?
Have you ever thought about the reasons that you want to lose this weight? Have you thought about your excuses and how you'll overcome them? I like to suggest writing all of this stuff down for yourself. It's all different for each of us, and sometimes without these answers, it's hard to find direction. Also, sometimes it takes just plain hitting rock bottom. It sure did for me, and I know many members of this group who just could not get serious until that happened.
What is your motivation? Again, this is very individual. You don't even have to put it in here if it embarrasses you, but write it down for yourself. What makes you want to do this? Are those motivations, all of those reasons, worth giving up to cave to a craving? Are they worth giving up because you just don't feel like working out? Probably not. How do you feel after you skip a workout? Not usually the best feeling.
Also, if you do really get down on yourself after one (or five) slip-ups, you need to work on forgiving yourself and moving on. One mistake will not completely undo all of your hard work until that point. Learn from your mistakes and move forward. NONE of us are perfect. We are human. Excuse my French, but shit happens. The best thing you can do is take that as a lesson. Did you decide to buy a bag of something you thought you could have in small portions and end up eating the whole bag? Lesson learned: cannot control self with food X. Do not buy. Moving on. Been there, done that, mama!! :-) You can do this. It's within you to succeed, and you DESERVE to.
Good luck!
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Suzanne has some great advice above...good luck mama!

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Welcome to the group, you can do this. We all have bad days or even bad weeks...it's okay, you are human. Focus on your reason WHY you choose to lose weight and get healthier. Write your goals down and put them in front of you. Come up with some rewards, non food of course, for every 5 or 10 pounds or for following your exercise goals for a week...whatever is motivating for you. I got my first ever manicure for losing my first 10 pounds, next 5 pounds was a pedicure and so on... Also love what Suzanne said!

andrialdp
by on May. 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM

One day won't put you back to square one...stopping for weeks at a time would though. I battle this myself. There are some phone apps that help you keep track of foods and exercise...Noom is one that I've recently started using. Find or start a FB group that you can post about weight loss, meals, motivation help...and exercise.  Just a few ideas. Good luck!

charlotsomtimes
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

try making some small goals- ones you can reach on a daily or weekly basis-- like drinking X amount of water a day, or working out for so many min. a day, or cutting down soda or whatever. I did that when I started, and those little goals helped me keep going.  You can build on them as you go (add more time- or more water...)

also, remember that this takes time-and never give up

you can DO this :)

mandaboo99
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Hey :) Ive been where you are. I was 195 with ZERO energy (im 5'2") the day I decided I needed to do something I can help you to  stay motivated and now am sitting HEALTHILY at 122 and can keep up with my three kids :) You can do it :) msg me If you ever want to chat!!

Quoting celestenmiller:

So I really want to lose weight but I just don't know where to start. It seems like I'll be doing fine exercising and eating healthy then one day I just slip and don't even realize it. Then I'm back to square one. I need and want to stay motivated. plz anyone HELP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)