Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Third time's a charm

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM
  • 5 Replies
This will be my third time losing major baby weight - I hope. I need to lose about forty pounds. Have not weighed in three months - I had a hysterectomy after some cancer cells popped up six months postpartum. I'm afraid of the scale. My belly looks worse than I can ever remember :-(.

My guess is I'm around 195 and I would like to be under 155. I'm a runner - just two years ago (before surprise baby, bedrest, hysterectomy, and breastfeeding) I was winning my age group in local races! So I want that part of me back, as well as my far more healthy body image. Breastfeeding has always kept me "fat" and i am on baby five at forty. Worried that I won't pull it off this time- the last two times I had two babies back to back (13 months apart and 14 months apart) and breastfed each for six months plus. This time we are ten months in and still breastfeeding but the truth is, every day I feel more and more like quitting. I want my body back!
For the past five weeks I've been working c25k - it feels like a huge setback to go to that level after being a really good runner but dang it I'm doing it. Also hitting the gym and yoga more and more in hopes of gaining some muscle and shedding some of this awful fat suit.

I wish you all luck in the journey!
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
muzzyh
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I never lost weight until I was done nursing, either! Protein and weights- you've got this. Plus, if you are a runner to begin with this will be so much easier than you think. Good luck!
fourandhoping
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Today: 20 min added run, 30 min bike with weights (weird gym machine), 10 min on step mill, twenty minutes upper body.
That's the goal.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Welcome to the group!  You can get there!  If you'd like, we can calculate how many calories you need each day to help you lose the weight.  We just need your height, weight, age, and how much you're exercising (and a reminder that you're breastfeeding).

I gained weight breastfeeding, but I also didn't limit myself (I was ALWAYS hungry).  I started this journey about the time that we stopped nursing.

I'm a runner, too!  I hope you are able to get back at it!  I know how it feels to start over, but you'll be glad you did!

Good luck!

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

fourandhoping
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Thanks! I'm 5'9", 192, 40 years old and breastfeeding. I exercise about four- eight hours a week right now.
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

BMR: 1627 + 500 (for breastfeeding) = 2127 (this is the minimum number of calories you should be eating)

2127 x 1.55 = 3297

3297 - 500 = 2797

To lose 1-2 lbs per week consume 2127-2797 calories per day.

Quoting fourandhoping:

Thanks! I'm 5'9", 192, 40 years old and breastfeeding. I exercise about four- eight hours a week right now.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)