Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Calculating my bmr?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 13 Replies
I saw in a post somebody talking about calculating bmr? How do you do that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 14, 2013 at 6:01 AM
1 mom liked this

We can help you do it, or you can go to this site and do it:)  

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 14, 2013 at 6:12 AM

We need your age,height, weight, if you are BFing and the number of days per week you workout. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

BUBS2012
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Would you mind doing mine?
Height 5ft 3inch
weight 150
Age 41
right now only work out about 2 days a week

Quoting mcginnisc:

We need your age,height, weight, if you are BFing and the number of days per week you workout. 

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I still have a BMR question - so sorry if it seems like i am hijacking this post - not my intent at all!  When my BMR was calcuated last week - it had me around the mid 1500 (I don't remember exact # with out going back and looking...).  Now, even though I have tried to change MFP to fit more with that than the 1200 calories they automatically put me at...

If the 1200 calories they have me in (and the exercise calories I earn back - usually between 300 and 500 depending on the day) about equal my BMR, am I going to see roughly the same result since exercise calories are already factored into BMR anyway? 

I hope I am not talking in circles.... I have asked this question a couple diferent times in a couple different forums on MFP and no one is responding... TIA!

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 14, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Quoting BUBS2012:

Height 5ft 3inch
weight 150
Age 41

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1510

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week: 1510*1.375=2076

To lose 1 lb per week: 2076-500=1576

Your ideal calorie range while working out 1-3 days per week is 1510-1576 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

Claire

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I still have a BMR question - so sorry if it seems like i am hijacking this post - not my intent at all!  When my BMR was calcuated last week - it had me around the mid 1500 (I don't remember exact # with out going back and looking...).  Now, even though I have tried to change MFP to fit more with that than the 1200 calories they automatically put me at...

If the 1200 calories they have me in (and the exercise calories I earn back - usually between 300 and 500 depending on the day) about equal my BMR, am I going to see roughly the same result since exercise calories are already factored into BMR anyway? 

I hope I am not talking in circles.... I have asked this question a couple diferent times in a couple different forums on MFP and no one is responding... TIA!

This is the way MFP works. They calculate your TDEE ( total daily energy expenditure), which is your BMR + activities) and then give you a number that is roughly 500 less than that.. the issue, is that TDEE cannot really be calculated without wearing a device that will calculate how many calories you burn every second of the day. In my experience, it is more accurate to know your BMR and use the Harris Benedict Formula to calculate exercise...this number is more accurate as it incorporates how many METs you burn when working out, rather than an estimate. ( don't ask- really technical.. lol) I prefer the BMR method and not worrying about adding exercise to MFP. 

For example: my BMR is 1328...with exercise it is 2058...( this is not including other activites though..just exercise, so let's say, my true daily burn is around 2300 ( I only know this as I wore a bodybugg for 3 years) so, subtract 500=1558....if I want to lose weight I have to eat no less than 1328-1558 cals daily..that will give me around a 500-800 calorie daily deficit. 

As long as you eat back a portion of those exercise calories MFP gives you if you use those numbers, you will see a loss. If you use our numbers, do not add exercise..just eat within that range we gave you. 

Claire

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

OK -- think I got it.  I swear sometimes with me I feel like I am doing this when it comes to this stuff....

banging head into wall

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

This is the way MFP works. They calculate your TDEE ( total daily energy expenditure), which is your BMR + activities) and then give you a number that is roughly 500 less than that.. the issue, is that TDEE cannot really be calculated without wearing a device that will calculate how many calories you burn every second of the day. In my experience, it is more accurate to know your BMR and use the Harris Benedict Formula to calculate exercise...this number is more accurate as it incorporates how many METs you burn when working out, rather than an estimate. ( don't ask- really technical.. lol) I prefer the BMR method and not worrying about adding exercise to MFP. 

For example: my BMR is 1328...with exercise it is 2058...( this is not including other activites though..just exercise, so let's say, my true daily burn is around 2300 ( I only know this as I wore a bodybugg for 3 years) so, subtract 500=1558....if I want to lose weight I have to eat no less than 1328-1558 cals daily..that will give me around a 500-800 calorie daily deficit. 

As long as you eat back a portion of those exercise calories MFP gives you if you use those numbers, you will see a loss. If you use our numbers, do not add exercise..just eat within that range we gave you. 

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM
LOL.. Don't feel bad.. it is a lot to learn and it takes time.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

OK -- think I got it.  I swear sometimes with me I feel like I am doing this when it comes to this stuff....

banging head into wall

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BUBS2012
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Thank you!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting BUBS2012:

Height 5ft 3inch

weight 150

Age 41

Quoting mcginnisc:

BMR: 1510

Maintenance while working out 1-3 days per week: 1510*1.375=2076

To lose 1 lb per week: 2076-500=1576

Your ideal calorie range while working out 1-3 days per week is 1510-1576 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week. 

japanmommy
by Member on May. 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
Thank you

I'm 25, 5'3" and *sigh* 176
Full time breast feeding and currently besides the random run no regular exercise unless chasing my three year old at the park is considered. Changing that ASAP though.

Quoting mcginnisc:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)