Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Scale Apprehension....

Posted by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 9 Replies

I have been working so hard the last couple weeks, but have not stepped on a scale at all.  I have been really trying to eat better - choosing healthier foods and making sure my portions are the right sizes, eating within my BMR...  I make sure I am exercising at least 5 days a week - even if it is "just" a small walk with my DD each night - and at least 2 nights a week I am getting in at least a 4 mile walk/jog.

I would like to know weight wise where I am as I did set a weight goal through my Wii Fit and would like to know if I have made any progress towards that.... But, at the same time, even though I know I am feeling better and my clothes are fitting better - what if I step on the scale and it hasn't moved - or even worse it shows I have put on weight?

Any one else go through this?  Maybe this is why so many people say they don't even own a scale to begin with!

by on May. 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EiuGirl316
by Leah on May. 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I have, yeah. I just suck it up and do it anyway. This is probably why a lot of people ditch the scale and use measuring tape or go by how their clothes feel. 

Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

This is why I weigh daily.  That way I know ups and downs are totally normal, I don't go a month waiting for a weigh in only to be majorly disappointed that it's not what I was hoping for. I know it's not for everyone but I'm definitely one for daily weigh ins. 

little flower

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I used to do the daily weigh in and found that even though I "know" that ups and downs are normal, I would still get discouraged by the ups... or really excited about the downs, to see the next day that my downs were now ups.  So, for that reason I stopped and thought "well I will go to weekly weigh ins..." like I know a lot of people do. 

But, with it being so nice I have been exercising outside instead of getting on the Wii Fit.... which is my primary mode of weighing myself as I do not own a scale.  Maybe I would be better off just going to Wal-Mart and getting a digital bathroom scale and start doing weigh ins like that....

Quoting Stefanie83:

This is why I weigh daily.  That way I know ups and downs are totally normal, I don't go a month waiting for a weigh in only to be majorly disappointed that it's not what I was hoping for. I know it's not for everyone but I'm definitely one for daily weigh ins. 

little flower

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

This is why I weigh in once a month, and make sure it's a few days after the end of my period. I work hard all month, and I KNOW I put on water weight the last two weeks of each month because my hormones get all wacky. But I try not to put too much stock in how much I weigh. I focus on how I feel, how I look, how my clothes fit, and my abilities in the gym. The stronger I get in the gym, the more cardio classes I'm able to do, that and that lone shows that my body is improving. 

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Thanks!  That is sort of my take too -- not so much the gym part because I don't go to a gym.  But, more the fact that I am able to run now (not jog - actually run) and I am also able to jog for a longer sustained time.  Both of these tell me I am doing something right - not to mention how the clothes are fitting.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

This is why I weigh in once a month, and make sure it's a few days after the end of my period. I work hard all month, and I KNOW I put on water weight the last two weeks of each month because my hormones get all wacky. But I try not to put too much stock in how much I weigh. I focus on how I feel, how I look, how my clothes fit, and my abilities in the gym. The stronger I get in the gym, the more cardio classes I'm able to do, that and that lone shows that my body is improving. 

rockinmomto2
by Bronze Member on May. 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

That's exactly it. Your goal should be to be healthy and fit, not necessarily weigh a specific weight. I only check my weight because I have so much to lose and I want to make sure that I'm losing it appropriately. If I were to be toning rather than actively losing weight, I wouldn't weigh myself at all. I'd use measurements.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Thanks!  That is sort of my take too -- not so much the gym part because I don't go to a gym.  But, more the fact that I am able to run now (not jog - actually run) and I am also able to jog for a longer sustained time.  Both of these tell me I am doing something right - not to mention how the clothes are fitting.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

MomofHDFandNWF
by on May. 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I am not coordinated enough to keep measurements! LOL.... I would probably do different measurements each month and have myself all confused!

Quoting rockinmomto2:

That's exactly it. Your goal should be to be healthy and fit, not necessarily weigh a specific weight. I only check my weight because I have so much to lose and I want to make sure that I'm losing it appropriately. If I were to be toning rather than actively losing weight, I wouldn't weigh myself at all. I'd use measurements.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Quoting rockinmomto2:

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I agree that once a month might be the way to go for you.  I'm a daily weigh-er, but those fluctuations don't bother me.  Once a month is better for seeing changes over a longer period of time.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

nenaswife
by on May. 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I only weigh every three months. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not as good, but it is always down. I started out with 110 lbs to lose so I have time to go every three months. If you feel good, don't worry about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)