Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Loss, Fitness & Health Weight Loss, Fitness & Health

Injuries are frustrating!!

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 12 Replies
Many of you know I sprain my ankle pretty bad this past December doing Tough Mudder. I stopped running for 5 full weeks before starting again to let it heal. And even then I was very careful for awhile, wore a brace for a couple months, and didn't run as much as I was use to. The past 3 months or so though I've been fine, running without a brace, doing crossfit, no issues! Well my last couple longish runs I've noticed that my ankle/foot is always sore for like 24-48 hours afterwards. It's extremely frustrating bc I'm trying to get my mileage back up for some races I'm doing. Do you think the soreness is just something that's always going to be there now? I know they say once you sprain an ankle it's always a weak point...but I wasn't thinking THIS weak! Or could it be my shoes? (They're about 5.5 months old) or what? I'm not sure how to go about this...
by on May. 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I twisted/sprained (one of those) my ankle about 6-8 months ago. I didn't run for almost 2 months. Then I only did low impact stuff for another month. It was my left ankle and the 2nd time I've done that! Definitely a weak ankle for me. I have to be VERY careful when I run. I typically just run on the road and not on trails much. I'm prone to tripping! My ankle isn't ever sore though...I waited so long after my last sprain that my first run post injury didn't hurt a bit. I also had Brady's physical therapist tape it for me. I left the tape on for a week and it made a huge difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM
How many miles are on your shoes Jess? Shoes should last 600 miles at least. If you are close, Maybe new shoes would help. Have you been fitted lately? Our gait can change after an injury.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by Darby on May. 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Good thought! I just replaced my running shoes last month as I had close to 1,000 miles on my old ones and they killed my feet!

Quoting mcginnisc:

How many miles are on your shoes Jess? Shoes should last 600 miles at least. If you are close, Maybe new shoes would help. Have you been fitted lately? Our gait can change after an injury.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM
I got fitted when I bought these in January and that was post injury. I'll do it again when I get new shoes just in case. My shoes are probably getting close to that 600 mile mark. I knew they were, and had planned on hopefully holding off until July to get new shoes bc I want my shoes to still be fairly newish for my 10 miler the first week in October. But I may need new shoes sooner :-/ I hope that's the main issue bc like I said I never had issues until recently.

Quoting mcginnisc:

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Yes I definitely have to be very careful running now and I don't run on anything but pavement besides mud runs and I'm very careful at those.. I'm afraid to twist it in the grass or on a trail.

Quoting darbyakeep45:

I twisted/sprained (one of those) my ankle about 6-8 months ago. I didn't run for almost 2 months. Then I only did low impact stuff for another month. It was my left ankle and the 2nd time I've done that! Definitely a weak ankle for me. I have to be VERY careful when I run. I typically just run on the road and not on trails much. I'm prone to tripping! My ankle isn't ever sore though...I waited so long after my last sprain that my first run post injury didn't hurt a bit. I also had Brady's physical therapist tape it for me. I left the tape on for a week and it made a huge difference.
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM

No advice. Just sympathy. My hips give me some serious trouble and it's sooooooooo frustrating. :(

dee06
by Member on May. 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My ankle still bothers me and it's been a few years since I sprained it last. It seems to always be achy. I just ice it at night and that seems to help. I have a popcorn kernal ice pack that I can take in bed with me and by the time I am done reading I can just kick it out of bed and go to sleep. 

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

The shoes may help.  When was the last time you went to the doc with it?  Do you do any ankle circles?  That might help strengthen and stretch your ankles.  If you're able, once it heals, try adding in some trail running.  My ankles are SIGNIFICANTLY more stable now that I trail run, and even when I do tweak my ankle, I can usually run through it, and the pain is gone.  It's also improved my balance, and my injury rate has plummeted (except for my fall last year, of course!).  But my best advice is to follow up with your doc.  It shouldn't be bothering you like that- maybe a little DURING the run, as you get your strength back up in it, but not for so long afterward.  Is it affecting your gait at all?  You might also try some arnica.  Rock Tape might help as well (we carry it at a good price, BTW!).

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

MamaJessx3
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM
It doesn't effect my gait because i don't usually notice until after I'm done, an hour or two later. And again in the morning the next day when I wake up. And I make sure I don't run on it when it's feeling sore like that. Like I said, usually goes away in a day or so then it's good as new again. I haven't tried taping it...I wouldn't even know how. I'm going for a short run tonight to and from crossfit. If it continues to bother me I guess I'll have to go see what the dr says.
Oh and I do ankle circles and stretches and stuff with it. My ankle pops with every circle (not sure if it did that before or what). Right now I'm paranoid even running on grass that I'm gonna reinjure it. If I did a trail run if have to take it super easy in the beginning. But I'd love to trail run.

Quoting musicpisces:

The shoes may help.  When was the last time you went to the doc with it?  Do you do any ankle circles?  That might help strengthen and stretch your ankles.  If you're able, once it heals, try adding in some trail running.  My ankles are SIGNIFICANTLY more stable now that I trail run, and even when I do tweak my ankle, I can usually run through it, and the pain is gone.  It's also improved my balance, and my injury rate has plummeted (except for my fall last year, of course!).  But my best advice is to follow up with your doc.  It shouldn't be bothering you like that- maybe a little DURING the run, as you get your strength back up in it, but not for so long afterward.  Is it affecting your gait at all?  You might also try some arnica.  Rock Tape might help as well (we carry it at a good price, BTW!).

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
YouTube has videos for taping methods, as does the Rock Tape website. It might be worth a shot.
My ankles have always popped with ankle circles. I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it hurts.
I know what you mean about running on grass- it's always so unstable. Trails don't have grass covering the holes and grooves, generally, so that's a plus! You can anticipate what your foot is landing on.

Quoting MamaJessx3:

It doesn't effect my gait because i don't usually notice until after I'm done, an hour or two later. And again in the morning the next day when I wake up. And I make sure I don't run on it when it's feeling sore like that. Like I said, usually goes away in a day or so then it's good as new again. I haven't tried taping it...I wouldn't even know how. I'm going for a short run tonight to and from crossfit. If it continues to bother me I guess I'll have to go see what the dr says.

Oh and I do ankle circles and stretches and stuff with it. My ankle pops with every circle (not sure if it did that before or what). Right now I'm paranoid even running on grass that I'm gonna reinjure it. If I did a trail run if have to take it super easy in the beginning. But I'd love to trail run.

Quoting musicpisces:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)