Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lullaby and Goodnight

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 90 Replies

Lullaby and Goodnight.

Sleep more and get slim.

Health professionals and research agree, to reap the benefits of sleep for weight loss, you should get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night.

• Getting 4 to 6 hours of sleep a night produces negative changes in metabolism, mainly glucose and insulin, which can lead to weight gain
  • Lack of sleep affects the hormones that influence body weight
  • Hormonal changes inflicted by lack of sleep may also cause you to crave unhealthy foods linked to weight gain.
  • Lack of sleep increases daytime stress levels leading to unhealthy food cravings.
  • Sleep loss interferes with the body’s ability to manufacture muscle mass. With less muscle, extra food calories are converted into fat. 

Tips to get a good nights rest include:

• Avoid daytime naps
  • Shut off light stimulants like the TV and computer half an hour before bedtime
  • Schedule your bedtime at the same time every night, including weekends if possible
  • Do not exercise three hours prior to bedtime. Exercise in the morning but no later than late afternoon

On average, how many hours of sleep do you get a night?

Did you know lack of sleep can contribute to weight gain and/or difficulty losing weight?

If you are not getting between 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night, I challenge you to try to do so for the remainder of this challenge. Track your sleep and how you are effected vs when you do not get 7 to 8 hours a night.

**Once you have completed your cardio for the day, click here for the Day 17 Cardio Log, Reminders & Motivation

** Don't forget to update your food journal.

** Remember to fit in an extra 10 - 30 minutes of walking in addition to your daily cardio/workout.

** Drink at least 64 oz of water today!

at the beach 

by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rebelmama85
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I've been getting 7-8 hrs a night! I LOVE to sleep:)

**Woohoo first!
musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

This is definitely an area where I struggle.  I should be trying to get to bed earlier.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

Janet
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

It varies and it is broken. I have to get up at different times usually just once but sometimes (like last night more) at 3:00 AM to check the blood sugar of my nine year old. He has type 1 Diabetes.

Janet
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't know lack of sleep could contribute to weight gain.

MeridaMomma4
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM
This will be a challenge for me I finally fall asleep around 12 and up no later than 5:30 to work out but I will try :) seems like there are not enough hours in the day or I am just a party animal lol
Janet
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I try to get to bed as early as I possibly can.

HisAngel91
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a 2 month old so i dont get alot of sleep. Lol i didnt know that about sleeping.
cowgirls10181
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I usually knit before bed, last night i went for an 8 block walk before bed, it was relaxing.. hubby watches tv tell he falls asleep every night, i cant.
Dabberdoo
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I get at least 7 hours. I don't function well on less than 8.
Millertime77
by on May. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I usually get 6-7 hrs. of sleep each night and maybe a nap on the weekend.  Sleep is very important-but I have a toddler!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN