Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't Know Where To Start Please Help!

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hello Ladies! 

My name is Sonia. I am 34 years old married with 3 children. I joined this group in hopes to get some education and help about health. 

I had a follow up appointment with my gyno this morning and he told me that I am borderline diabetic. Which means it's time for a diet change but I have NO idea how to go about it or what foods are best. 

I know for meats some choices are fish and chicken, but I HATE fish. I don't like it. 

I would really appreciate any and all help you ladies could offer me. 

by on May. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Member on May. 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Welcome! I think starting off making small changes are best because they will be easier to sustain. Switch to water. Switch your snack opions to only fruits and veggies. Later you can make smarter snack choices but until you are in the swing of things. Changing yourcooking iptions can make a big difference too. Bake or grill anything you can. I know yyou'll learn a lot and get a lot od advice if you lurk around in here a while.
smenjivar
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Thank You! That helps a lot with a starting point. I think my biggest  obstecle will be that fact that I work in a gas staiton and am surrounded by junk! lol

Quoting GoldenLinds:

Welcome! I think starting off making small changes are best because they will be easier to sustain. Switch to water. Switch your snack opions to only fruits and veggies. Later you can make smarter snack choices but until you are in the swing of things. Changing yourcooking iptions can make a big difference too. Bake or grill anything you can. I know yyou'll learn a lot and get a lot od advice if you lurk around in here a while.

choco_mom
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Baby steps, for sure.  And try to think of it as a lifestyle change not a diet.  If you deprive yourself you just end up binging.  So allow yoru self a cheat day or a treat once in a while.

Also check out sparkpeople.com or lose it.com they are booth good sites for tracking your food.  So you have an idea of how much to eat.  You don't have to give up red meat, I love it and eat it a few times a week.  Just get the leaner meats and grill or bake it.

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

This is definitely something many people struggle with so you are not alone. Eating healthy is something that is elusive to most as we are constantly bombarded by processed items. 

You don't have to limit yourself to chicken and fish..I will give you a list of items to concentrate on and some things we eat on a regular basis to give you some ideas. :-) 

Lean proteins: chicken, turkey, limited beef, limited pork, seafood, eggs, quinoa

Things we eat: turkey meatloaf, grilled chicken, grilled pork chops, skewers with different meats, baked fish.. I use the crockpot, bake, roast, grill, poach..you name it, I do it to protein. 

Whole grains: pasta, bread, tortillas, english muffins, quinoa, lentils, barley, beans, flaxseed, oats, cereals

I will occasionally make pastas, quinoa, couscous or beans. We aren't huge on grains...

Produce: fresh and frozen... avoid canned as it is loaded with sodium. I keep a huge amount of produce in the house. I eat it for snacks, roast it for sandwiches/wraps/pastas... I add it to meatloaf, burgers, etc...

Dairy: I use full fat or low fat. I eat greek yogurt as it is loaded with protein and is much better for you overall. 

We do not drink cow milk..we drink almond milk instead. 

Water-Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz you should drink daily. 

Processed- avoid it as much as possible. It is loaded with chemicals, preservatives, and sodium. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

smenjivar
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Thank You! This is a BIG help! 

What is/are quinoa?

I don't like seafood at all so my meat choices will be limited. lol 

as far as tortillas....the doc said I should stay away from tortillas and bread. :(  sad considering I'm hispanic and that's apart of our basic food group lol. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

This is definitely something many people struggle with so you are not alone. Eating healthy is something that is elusive to most as we are constantly bombarded by processed items. 

You don't have to limit yourself to chicken and fish..I will give you a list of items to concentrate on and some things we eat on a regular basis to give you some ideas. :-) 

Lean proteins: chicken, turkey, limited beef, limited pork, seafood, eggs, quinoa

Things we eat: turkey meatloaf, grilled chicken, grilled pork chops, skewers with different meats, baked fish.. I use the crockpot, bake, roast, grill, poach..you name it, I do it to protein. 

Whole grains: pasta, bread, tortillas, english muffins, quinoa, lentils, barley, beans, flaxseed, oats, cereals

I will occasionally make pastas, quinoa, couscous or beans. We aren't huge on grains...

Produce: fresh and frozen... avoid canned as it is loaded with sodium. I keep a huge amount of produce in the house. I eat it for snacks, roast it for sandwiches/wraps/pastas... I add it to meatloaf, burgers, etc...

Dairy: I use full fat or low fat. I eat greek yogurt as it is loaded with protein and is much better for you overall. 

Water-Take your weight and divide by 2. This is a general guideline of how many oz you should drink daily. 

Processed- avoid it as much as possible. It is loaded with chemicals, preservatives, and sodium. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Quoting smenjivar:

What is/are quinoa?

as far as tortillas....the doc said I should stay away from tortillas and bread. :(  sad considering I'm hispanic and that's apart of our basic food group lol. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

You don't have to eat seafood...it is an option for proteins though, so I always include it. 

I forgot healthy fats- nuts , nut butters ( peanut butter, almond butter, etc), olive oil, ghee, coconut oil, avocadoes

Quinoa is a whole protein that is also a grain. It is Moroccan. You can pretty much find it at any grocery store now. 

If you are borderine diabetic, make sure you get enough protein and the majority of your carbs from veggies. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

caro100
by Carol on May. 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hello.  Sorry about the diagnosis.  go to mostly chicken, except for once or twice a week for red meat.  I have heard.  Eat healthy for breakfast and lunch, but then eat what you want for supper.  Don't eat after 8:00 except for special occaisons..  Hope this helps.

wahmx3
by Shelley on May. 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Do you know why your doc said to stay away from tortillas and bread? That is a whole food group...unless your doc knows about nutrition, and most know little to nothing, this doesn't seem necessary, although I don't want to say that without knowing why he said it.  I also suggest having your BMR calculated so you have an idea of how many calories you should be consuming. I don't like fish, except for canned tuna and most seafood (in a chowder). Meat choices are somewhat limited but I don't think we need meat daily anyway. I do eat it 4-5 times a week and that should be fine, get protein from other sources such as greek yogurt and dairy.

Quoting smenjivar:

What is/are quinoa?

Quoting mcginnisc:

smenjivar
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

He said because tortillas contain flour and that along with fread have sugar. He also said to avoid corn because corn is high in sugar. 

Quoting wahmx3:

Do you know why your doc said to stay away from tortillas and bread? That is a whole food group...unless your doc knows about nutrition, and most know little to nothing, this doesn't seem necessary, although I don't want to say that without knowing why he said it.  I also suggest having your BMR calculated so you have an idea of how many calories you should be consuming. I don't like fish, except for canned tuna and most seafood (in a chowder). Meat choices are somewhat limited but I don't think we need meat daily anyway. I do eat it 4-5 times a week and that should be fine, get protein from other sources such as greek yogurt and dairy.

Quoting smenjivar:

What is/are quinoa?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

smenjivar
by New Member on May. 16, 2013 at 8:30 PM

How about sodium? What is considered to much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)