Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have been going to zumba for almost 2 years. When I first started the pounds just melted off and even last year at this time, the same thing. I have been going faithfully 2 to 3x/week and watching what I eat. In fact, lately, I think I eat less and haven't been able to drop much more weight than a few pounds. I have been told I need to mix things up. What should I do? I am at a loss.

3MOM627

have a nice day

by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silvertears1275
by on May. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM

First, you may want to make sure you're eating enough.  If you are eating too little, it's hard to lose weight.  The ladies here can figure out your BMR if you will share your age, height, and weight.

Secondly, our bodies do tend to adapt to routine and you'll end up burning less calories because it's not so much of an effort... if that makes sense.  You don't have to stop Zumba, but maybe add in a different type of workout once or twice a week to shake things up.

musicpisces
by Suzanne on May. 17, 2013 at 1:01 AM

This is basically exactly what I was going to say.  Trying different types of workouts- try running, biking, or even playing sports like basketball.  But your food intake was my first thought.

Quoting Silvertears1275:

First, you may want to make sure you're eating enough.  If you are eating too little, it's hard to lose weight.  The ladies here can figure out your BMR if you will share your age, height, and weight.

Secondly, our bodies do tend to adapt to routine and you'll end up burning less calories because it's not so much of an effort... if that makes sense.  You don't have to stop Zumba, but maybe add in a different type of workout once or twice a week to shake things up.

Suzanne

"Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want right now."

mcginnisc
by Claire on May. 17, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Well, what do you eat? How many calories? 

Post a day's worth of food and I'll take a peek and see if any changes can be made. Post your age, height, weight and the # of days per week you workout and I'll do your BMR for you. 

Workouts- you need strength training, cardio and flexibilty/core work. You cannot rely only on cardio as you need lean muscle mass. You will only achieve this by doing strength training. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

angelaw126
by on May. 17, 2013 at 7:06 AM

I agree with all the other ladies, it's more than likely you're not consuming enough calories and your body may have gone into "starvation mode"

muzzyh
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Mix it up! And start using weights.
Stefanie83
by Ruby Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I'd try counting calories. I love myfitnesspal ;)

Monsita
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Do not feel alone....it is happening to me too!!

Lets not give up....lets get motivated to try something new and a little different!!!jumping rope

kamc24
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Hey, Are you drinking enough water in a day??  and with zumba you are probably toning and building muscle which muscle weighs more

kamc24
by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

You are suppose to drink half your body weight   here is a good link to figure out how much water is needed

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

3mom627
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

So glad I am not the only one. I am going to try something besides zumba. Monday's it is really crowded, so that may be a good day to do something else. I have been walking around the neighborhood on my off days.  It's upsetting.

Quoting Monsita:

Do not feel alone....it is happening to me too!!

Lets not give up....lets get motivated to try something new and a little different!!!jumping rope

3MOM627

have a nice day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)